Denton is the official HQ for Sooner Fans...

michagb

Well, Denton certainly knows how to plan a party. No locations, no directions, but a link to a train and some times. Hell of a job, CVB, and congratulations on your half ass effort to profit off something that should be a layup.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd imagine OP is upset because it's a website from the city of Denton supporting a college team other than the home team, in addition to many believing (with merit) that the city gives two shits less about UNT.

That and it's just going to be hard to see so much crimson to the point that it will out shine any green...

Well, Denton certainly knows how to plan a party. No locations, no directions, but a link to a train and some times. Hell of a job, CVB, and congratulations on your half ass effort to profit off something that should be a layup.

Exactly. How many of those hotels are close to entertainment venues in Denton? Looks like it was thrown together at the last minute.

Regardless, Denton would be stupid not to take advantage of the $$$ the OU fans bring to the area, and the A Train sure will beat battling traffic. I would like to see the Denton CVB send out this notification to all our opponents fans.

Man, I say Kudoo's to the city of Denton, TX. With the economy the way it is Denton needs the Hotel and Restaurant business. Plus all the big wig Sooner's will be in attendance. Maybe UNT can get a 2 and 1 deal with OU once they see that Denton can handle their fan base while here. There's no way you can miss Apogee stadium once in Denton. If RV and others with UNT are smart they'll take notice of Denton welcoming OU and do a little vertical marketing with OU.

I don't think anyone in the Mean Green nation would be unhappy with a home game against OU. I would take work, and skill on RV's part, but I've seen good sales people make things happen with less opportunity.

Maybe the parents of some OU kids have other siblings that can't get into OU. Now those parents will get to see Denton and UNT for what it is, a great college town. A friend of mine is big OSU grad, and at one time was the President of their Alumni association.One of his sons went to UNT. both of his kids are talented musicians. My friends other son is in a band that regularly plays the Viper Room in LA.

• Upvote 2

Bringing outside dollars to Denton's local businesses is always a good thing. I don't see any problem with this. Maybe not the greatest of efforts by the Denton CVB, but heck, I like out of town folks spending money in Denton. Bring 'em on...I'll be enjoying the Mean green experience while you spend some $$$$$ in Denton. I hope several come to the UNT game that evening as well.

• Upvote 1

Very poorly done, maybe I have not spend enough time in Denton but where can you stay that is in walking distance of all that entertainment? I am all for capitalism;but was there a similar try to lure Houston fans to Denton for the inaugural Apolgee game? Are there anymore OU fans that are going to stay 40 miles from the game in Denton, than there were Houston or for that matter UNT fans in the first home game? The same holds true for the FAU game, I am sure there will be few traveling from Florida but how about the many NT fans that don't live in the Denton area. I only live an hour away, but I might tempted by this type of advertising to stay in Denton Friday or

Saturday if they actually outlined some other events Friday night or Saturday night other than the game.

I have no problem with Denton marketing to OU fans, but why not try to do more for your home town university's events.

• Upvote 3

Hell no to a home game with OU. If you don't think they would have more fans than us you're crazy. Plus, we'd lose by 40

You're looking small picture. The demand for the ticket would be huge and, since Apogee is only 30k, many OU fans would take a look at the price of NT season tickets and just buy them. It would stnk for there to be more crimson than green there but the money windfall would be huge...plus, it never bothers SMU when Tech comes to town.

Hell no to a home game with OU. If you don't think they would have more fans than us you're crazy. Plus, we'd lose by 40

Uh.....I only jest about a home and home with OU?:rolleyes::) But......I believe UNT athletics would make sure that there would be more green in the stands with the opponent allottment process?

First of all, the Student allotment could be all but doubled for starters. (I wish we could have this kind of problem to contend with with an OU on our future schedule. These are the kind of "problems" we need in our home scheduling future.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

So long as the city doesn't 'decorate' the town with OU crap everywhere, it's not that big of a deal. I do agree that it's piss poor they haven't even made the slightest bit of effort in this regard for the home town team. I guess picking OU is fine, but they still can't support UNT because it would be unfair to TWU. That's the excuse, right? :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

You're looking small picture. The demand for the ticket would be huge and, since Apogee is only 30k, many OU fans would take a look at the price of NT season tickets and just buy them. It would stnk for there to be more crimson than green there but the money windfall would be huge...plus, it never bothers SMU when Tech comes to town.

Would never happen in a 31k stadium even if they bought season tickets they would be of the lowest priority. Plus factor in the expanded demand for tickets by NT fans if they had a team like OU coming in. Moot question, however it is highly unlikely that OU would ever play in Denton.

• Downvote 1

This will make city businesses much money if the Sooner fans sign on. They're so accustomed to going to the State Fair, though, you wonder if it will work.

Come on Denton, get Entrepreneurial! Run a weekend version of the North Texas State Fair and.....just for the Sooner faithful......... but jack up the price of tickets to get in.

:)

On a more serious note, just when does that new luxury hotel and convention center planned near Apogee Stadium and in the Mean Green Village start turning dirt?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Given the size of Apogee Stadium, it would be vitually impossible for OU to have more fans in the stands than UNT fans!

But they won't be coming to a 30,000 seat stadium, so all of this is irrelevant, anyway.