Anyone hear Randy Galloway?

NMBNTC

I listen to about 30-45 minutes of The Ticket per day on my phone and while I don't hear them talk about NT it isn't like they are breaking down SMU or TCU. Granted my listening sample isn't that large so correct me if I am wrong about that. If they were talking all the time about SMU/TCU and breaking down match-ups and taking calls it would be one thing, but I don't think they do that.

I also don't get this almost sense of entitlement. "We have 37k students and countless alums, the media should be talking about us." Why? The Ticket has dominated the ratings for years without doing so. What is the incentive now? Increased ratings/revenue? Probably not.

I really love my alma mater, but the fact is that only winning will lead to move coverage. Plain and simple. We could have 100,000 students and we couldn't get coverage if our team was terrible.

The more important question to ask is why with all of these students and countless alums we couldn't sell out the first game in our BRAND NEW STADIUM against a regional opponent with a Heisman contender. That is more disconcerting.

My friends and I made a point to order tickets the day they went on sale because we were concerned about it selling out quickly. Oops!

Patrick

Are you still in radio at all? I used to really enjoy your show.

why would anyone expect The Ticket to talk about sports in general?

the only sport that the ticket somewhat covers is cowboys football... they try to get Corby to do some rants about sports like college football and golf, but he only know what he read that morning online...

look, i love the ticket for what it is, and i listen to it most of the time, but I would never expect to get any sort of sports news from there

Ticket programming is like a reverse donut -- the sports sit in the middle of the day from 10-3, and the other stuff flanks it. The format works and draws enough ratings that scolding them for not talking enough sports is like telling Jenna Jameson to put on a shirt and start reciting Macbeth.

I think unconditional loyalty to a radio station is weird, but they are my strongly preferred option when a live sporting event is not on the table.

Also, random aside, I can't get enough of Norm's show when a team I care about is in the playoffs. I also used to like when Sean Bass talked about baseball here before we crushed him with stupid.

• Upvote 1

Winning is what our FB program needs. Are we close to constantly winning, at this point I'd say, NO. We'll get it turned around, but it will take time. We've built the stadium and a lot of other needed facilities, so now we have to be supportive and patient.

Come basketball season we'll get our share of coverage. Our Men's team is young, but very talented and UNT will win. Especially after late Dec. 11 when Tony Mitchell joins our team. Remember only 12 BB players in the nation made the U19 USA team, and Tony Mitchell was one of them. Mr. Mitchell hadn't played organized BB in over a year and was a defensive force. I repeat not Baylor, UT, A&M, SMU, or many other BB national powerhouses had players on the USA team, UNT did!!! UNT will be dancing in 2012 although some in the mean green nation disagree with me on this, but mark it down, UNT will be dancing in March Madness 2011.

I live in Houston, so I'll only make a few BB games, but the students, and 100,000 UNT alumni in the Metroplex area will be missing something special if they don't make it to the "Pit" for Multiple games. Baring injury Mr. Tony Mitchell will be a player in the NBA for years and will represent UNT well. It's just a matter of how many years Mr. Mitchell will stay enrolled at UNT before going PRO.

Good things are happening that could become great in the Mean Green Nation. It will take time, but we'll get our share of airtime.

Go Mean Green!!!

why would anyone expect The Ticket to talk about sports in general?

That's the same question I wanted to ask. I used to be a Ticket P1 and even kept listening when I moved from Dallas to Florida in 1997. But these days, whenever I give the station another listen it's got so little actual sports talk I get bored and scan for the next station. Aside from the Great Gordo, there isn't anyone on KTCK who makes non-sports talk entertaining for very long.

That's the same question I wanted to ask. I used to be a Ticket P1 and even kept listening when I moved from Dallas to Florida in 1997. But these days, whenever I give the station another listen it's got so little actual sports talk I get bored and scan for the next station. Aside from the Great Gordo, there isn't anyone on KTCK who makes non-sports talk entertaining for very long.

Agreed, my dial rarely hits the ticket after Norm's show is over.

It's kinda funny that Gordo constantly references Idiocracy and how this society is heading that way when the Ticket itself is an illustration for his argument- A sports talk radio station that rarely talks sports.

Edited by UNT90

Agreed, my dial rarely hits the ticket after Norm's show is over.

It's kinda funny that Gordo constantly references Idiocracy and how this society is heading that way when the Ticket itself is an illustration for his argument- A sports talk radio station that rarely talks sports.

Wanting to talk about sports seriously is just as much a sign of Idiocracy as the flip side. I may be alone in this, but talking seriously about a kid's game without being paid or associated with the team in a personal way (paid, coach, kids) seems inherently sad when you think about it.

And yes, I know we're on a college message board. Ironing is delicious.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2