About Last Saturday

EagleMBA

First, let me say it was a pleasure to meet, visit at length at the Pavilion, and attend the Mean Green March with a true fan...scrappyman1. The pleasure was mine.

Second, it was a bit annoying and disconcerting to peer east from my seats in 207 and see many people still milling around on The Hill. I'm not pointing fingers but it looked like Greek territory to me. Come on people, leave those old habits behind with Fouts and get your butts in seats. You missed a very good performance by our Mean Green.

• Upvote 6

As a former Greek, I know that many Greeks see tailgaiting as a huge party, and the reason they are out there has nothing to do with the game. It is stupid, but that is the mindset of the people standing out on the hill all game. Some fraternities are worse than others, and I think the some of the sororities do a better job supporting NT than some of the fraternities. A couple of the frats do a very good job, and some of them are awful. Thankfully, it seems the tide seems to be turning in our favor, it is just going to take time.

• Upvote 2

As a former Greek, I know that many Greeks see tailgaiting as a huge party, and the reason they are out there has nothing to do with the game. It is stupid, but that is the mindset of the people standing out on the hill all game. Some fraternities are worse than others, and I think the some of the sororities do a better job supporting NT than some of the fraternities. A couple of the frats do a very good job, and some of them are awful. Thankfully, it seems the tide seems to be turning in our favor, it is just going to take time.

Admit it, SigEp blows everyone out of the water when it comes to supporting athletics :thumbsup:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Before anyone labels me as anti-Greek, please let me state that I am a Teke. I support the Greek life and the role it plays in the development of people who want that. I have always believed that one of the major roles of Greek organizations is to show leadership in the support of your university. If indeed the roaming strays were Greeks, I ask you to reflect on that. I do not know if the people I saw in the distance were members of fraternities or sororities (BECAUSE YOU DON'T NEED BINOCULARS AT APOGEE AND I LEFT THEM HOME)but if the shoe fits, wear it!

It will be near impossible to try and stop Greeks or any other group of students to tailgate during the game if we don't give them a reason to enter the stadium. I think we made a huge step towards that on Saturday by beating IU. However, the thing that does bother me about some of the Greek students and other students is the lack of Green they wear to games. If you noticed the first students that rushed the field after the game weren't even wearing green.

I understand the party aspects of it from the Greeks but seriously what is the point of tailgating outside the stadium when you're not going to the game? Aren't you better off just staying at your Greek house or any other area that you designate your activity?

No, they see it as a big, acre(s) wide party. The house wouldn't do that for them or provide the same atmosphere...

First, let me say it was a pleasure to meet, visit at length at the Pavilion, and attend the Mean Green March with a true fan...scrappyman1. The pleasure was mine.

Second, it was a bit annoying and disconcerting to peer east from my seats in 207 and see many people still milling around on The Hill. I'm not pointing fingers but it looked like Greek territory to me. Come on people, leave those old habits behind with Fouts and get your butts in seats. You missed a very good performance by our Mean Green.

Somewhere I picked up in all of the official stadium information that tailgaters were not going to be allowed to tailgate during the game - did that directive get lost, changed, or is it just being ignored?

• Upvote 1

Somewhere I picked up in all of the official stadium information that tailgaters were not going to be allowed to tailgate during the game - did that directive get lost, changed, or is it just being ignored?

My thoughts exactly. If they're not going to let me sprint to my car for beers at the half they need to nut up and enforce the rest of their new stadium rules. Quit a pickin and a choosin.

I doubt it will be enforced, if you do all you do is send bad vibrations. Let them do what they do the more outside the closer they are to the stadium. If you force the issue it will just blow up.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I doubt it will be enforced, if you do all you do is send bad vibrations. Let them do what they do the more outside the closer they are to the stadium. If you force the issue it will just blow up.

Can't agree more. Freedom is the best motivator. Let's go get a win in Tulsa. If we do, we could soon have a packed stadium AND people outside tailgaiting because they couldn't get tickets and still wanted to come out and support the Mean Green.

• Upvote 2

My response to this would be SO? If they're disgruntled from not being able to drink just yards from the stadium entrance and don't come back then how is this different from them continuing to drink...just yards from the stadium entrance...and not coming inside?

The "they add to the atmosphere" argument is the most tired and baseless one that gets bandied about on here. I know for a fact I didn't turn to anyone I was seated next to Saturday and say "Man can you believe how well we're playing?!! What's really making this enjoyable for me is the people I can see outside still tailgating!!" Has anyone EVER seen someone on a message board make the comment "The atmosphere at X university on game day is amazing! They've got hundreds of people who stay outside and drink ALL GAME LONG!!!" And before anyone tries to argue that "at least they show up" answer me this. Which conference is beating down our door because of how many people we have show up to the tailgate?? I always thought game attendance was what people looked at.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

My response to this would be SO? If they're disgruntled from not being able to drink just yards from the stadium entrance and don't come back then how is this different from them continuing to drink...just yards from the stadium entrance...and not coming inside?

The "they add to the atmosphere" argument is the most tired and baseless one that gets bandied about on here. I know for a fact I didn't turn to anyone I was seated next to Saturday and say "Man can you believe how well we're playing?!! What's really making this enjoyable for me is the people I can see outside still tailgating!!" Has anyone EVER seen someone on a message board make the comment "The atmosphere at X university on game day is amazing! They've got hundreds of people who stay outside and drink ALL GAME LONG!!!" And before anyone tries to argue that "at least they show up" answer me this. Which conference is beating down our door because of how many people we have show up to the tailgate?? I always thought game attendance was what people looked at.

I guess you miss it, if you force the issue they are likely not to come at all. I was one that if I was that close when in school I would find my way in the stadium. Pushing the issue would just move the parties. You know the whole don't rain on peoples parades thing and you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. I do see more people wearing green then ever before things are going in the right direction.

Next thing you know we will all be back in New Orleans. Do you still have your big daddy pimp outfit?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

:thumbsu:

..and even if these same people who prefer to hang out on the hill and drink do eventually start coming into the game, they will be the first to stop attending when we are experiencing a few losses.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

It is impossible to enforce the no tailgating during the game rule.

Win and people will come.

Win, and the party moves inside, and those left outside will be the outcasts.

Isn't that pretty much what they are now? If students/fans only supported a winner there would be half as many fans as there are now.

Every player wants to win and they want to win in front of large crowds. The bigger the crowd, the more adrenalin, the better the performance. The more that the crowd is into the game, the bigger advantage to the home team.

Tailgaters that come for the partying and the drinking are not true fans and will likely never come inside. They lend nothing.

Isn't that pretty much what they are now? If students/fans only supported a winner there would be half as many fans as there are now.

Every player wants to win and they want to win in front of large crowds. The bigger the crowd, the more adrenalin, the better the performance. The more that the crowd is into the game, the bigger advantage to the home team.

Tailgaters that come for the partying and the drinking are not true fans and will likely never come inside. They lend nothing.

Bingo.

And to say that enforcing the no tailgating during games rule is impossible is just short sighted. It's really quite simple. "The Hill" is University property. Therefore it can be declared "dry" at any time. I don't know, like say between 5:30pm and 10:00pm on game days for instance. Scratch a couple open container tickets and those "parties" will shut down real quick. And, no, I don't care if this pisses them off. At least no more than I care about the people who are sitting at home getting pissed off. Both groups are contributing NOTHING to the game day reputation.

• Upvote 2