The MWC and Texas

MeanGreen61

Keep seeing in multiple articles that if the MWC expands they are interested in returning to Texas. It probably has something to do with recruiting and media markets. If true, seems there would be only three likely possibilities; Houston, smu and North Texas. Could we possibly be under consideration ?

The MWC would be morons not to atleast consider us. Why not add multiple Texas schools and add all 3 plus UTEP? But naturally I think UTEP would be considered also. I think the MWC is a heck of a conference and it would make their conference stronger overall and grow their coverage immensely by basically adding all of the Texas markets.

UTEP really likes the ties to Dallas and Houston CUSA offers them. It really will be a difficult decision for them to leave CUSA if Houston, Rice and SMU are a part of that league.

These ties are pretty much why I want North Texas in CUSA. Remove these ties and I do not see the allure to CUSA anymore.

• Upvote 1

Keep seeing in multiple articles that if the MWC expands they are interested in returning to Texas. It probably has something to do with recruiting and media markets. If true, seems there would be only three likely possibilities; Houston, smu and North Texas. Could we possibly be under consideration ?

TCU.

Articles may say otherwise, but they made it clear last year when they decided to stay at 10 they did not find it necessary to be in Texas.

• Upvote 1

TCU.

Articles may say otherwise, but they made it clear last year when they decided to stay at 10 they did not find it necessary to be in Texas.

Or they heard rumblings of possible changes within every single AQ conference and wanted to stick it out to see what their options would be once the dust settled.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure that we will be considered by the MWC because of the DFW market as will SMU. Ditto for Houston in their market.

Of course I'd prefer Houston and North Texas as additions but that may be wishful thinking. Houston has slim to moderate chances for the Big 12 or the Big East and they have a comfortable place in CUSA with nearer rivals.

Even if the Mountain West thinks we're a good fit I don't think that they'll want an eleven team conference if Houston says no. They have to find a 12th team and we might want to know who before we would formally apply. Besides, we might want to know our options for any other conference.

The MWC is not composed of a bunch of morons. If we have enough going for us we'll be considered.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

I'm sure that we will be considered by the MWC because of the DFW market as will SMU. Ditto for Houston in their market.

Of course I'd prefer Houston and North Texas as additions but that may be wishful thinking. Houston has slim to moderate chances for the Big 12 or the Big East and they have a comfortable place in CUSA with nearer rivals.

Even if the Mountain West thinks we're a good fit I don't think that they'll want an eleven team conference if Houston says no. They have to find a 12th team and we might want to know who before we would formally apply. Besides, we might want to know our options for any other conference.

The MWC is not composed of a bunch of morons. If we have enough going for us we'll be considered.

In this scenario, I think they will lean towards Utah State as the 12th. A lot of travel for us, but the better respected league sure helps.

What will really be interesting is to see what number the MWC wants to get to. Do they stay at 10, or go higher. It seems most likely that 12 would be a good start, even get to 14 if they can. Two assumptions that must be made first are that 1.) BYU will never go back there, that they probably go to the Big XII before this is all over. 2.) The Big XII stays together for a while and that they hold true to the "No more Texas teams" mantra that all of the schools in that league seem to believe in. That means that the only school available to get in the Utah market, which is growing, is Utah State, which would be a good fit for the MWC. So that leaves the MWC looking at who be the best fit to be that 12th team--obviously, the only options out west aren't really that good--San Jose State, Idaho, and New Mexico State. So, if you want in Texas, which makes sense, your choices right now are UNT, UH, SMU, UTEP, and TCU. As it stands now, CUSA is a better fit for UH, SMU, and UTEP. Now, TCU is the wild card here--if they believe the Big East isn't going to make it as a legitimate league, they may decide to stick with the MWC, but I doubt it. This is why I truly believe that we are the right fit for this league if they stop at 12. However, if they decide to try and go to 14, here is where I think that the MWC could pull a coup on CUSA--get UH, UTEP, and UNT over there with Utah State. That gets you to 14, gets you three big TV markets in Texas and three big public schools that will fit perfectly with the other public schools in the league (no private schools). Then, you get a league with UTEP, New Mexico, UH, UNT, SDSU, Utah State and Hawaii in a MWC-Southern Division, and Boise State, Fresno State, UNLV, Nevada, AFA, Colorado State, and Wyoming in the MWC-North. If AFA leaves, then look at a school like NMSU for the South and move Utah State to the North. This all would work very nicely for everyone, especially if CUSA gets raided by the Big East down the road.

Edited by untjim1995