New Stadium Gives UNT Chance to Shine

Harry

As Rick Villarreal arrived at the 2011 University of North Texas home football opener Sept. 10, it finally hit him that his 10-year vision to upgrade athletics at the Denton school had reached its pinnacle.

The Mean Green was about to play the University of Houston in the first game in their sparkling new home, Apogee Stadium. It was the unveiling of the centerpiece of the Mean Green Village athletic complex built on the former Eagle Point Golf Course.

While UNT lost 48-23, the 28,075 people in attendance created an energy and noise level rarely if ever heard at old Fouts Field. This clearly told everyone it was not their parents’ or grandparents’ UNT.

“To stand up on that hill at 4 p.m. seeing the parking across the street, people having fun and kids just outside the gate, I’m not an emotional guy but it brought tears to my eyes,” the UNT athletic director said five days later.

http://www.thenewsconnection.com/article/Highland_Village_TNC/Sports/New_stadium_complex_help_give_UNT_athletics_the_chance_to_shine/34712

As Rick Villarreal arrived at the 2011 University of North Texas home football opener Sept. 10, it finally hit him that his 10-year vision to upgrade athletics at the Denton school had reached its pinnacle.

The Mean Green was about to play the University of Houston in the first game in their sparkling new home, Apogee Stadium. It was the unveiling of the centerpiece of the Mean Green Village athletic complex built on the former Eagle Point Golf Course.

While UNT lost 48-23, the 28,075 people in attendance created an energy and noise level rarely if ever heard at old Fouts Field. This clearly told everyone it was not their parents' or grandparents' UNT.

"To stand up on that hill at 4 p.m. seeing the parking across the street, people having fun and kids just outside the gate, I'm not an emotional guy but it brought tears to my eyes," the UNT athletic director said five days later.

http://www.thenewsco..._to_shine/34712

:thumbsu:

While UNT lost 48-23, the 28,075 people in attendance created an energy and noise level rarely if ever heard at old Fouts Field. This clearly told everyone it was not their parents’ or grandparents’ UNT.

“To stand up on that hill at 4 p.m. seeing the parking across the street, people having fun and kids just outside the gate, I’m not an emotional guy but it brought tears to my eyes,” the UNT athletic director said five days later.

http://www.thenewsconnection.com/article/Highland_Village_TNC/Sports/New_stadium_complex_help_give_UNT_athletics_the_chance_to_shine/34712

so what does this really mean "And we just made the last payment on the village" per RV in this article?

so what does this really mean "And we just made the last payment on the village" per RV in this article?

I believe that is in reference to purchase of the former Liberty Christian property and facilties.

Another impressive statitic in that article:

"Academically, UNT went from a 37 percent student-athlete graduation rate to 70 percent and in 2011 placed 170 student-athletes on the Sun Belt’s annual academic honor rolls."

Compare that to the UNT Factbook for the graduation rate of the total student body, which has a rate of 53.4% and that number includes students that switch to other schools and graduate. Athletics does not get to include those numbers.

Great article....and the baseball folks had another assurance that baseball is next on the agenda. Get those checkbooks out and ready.

Let's pack Apogee Saturday and watch the Mean green do battle against Indiana and, hopefully, come away with the first win of the McCarney era! Can't wait for Saturday.