CUSA spot to open?

gangrene

According to today's D-RC, Pitt and Syracuse won't be allowed to leave The Big East until 2014-2015.

True but I am betting they let them out early because it doesn't benefit The Big East to have a school leaving to win the conference and they will want to get the new schools in asap.

True but I am betting they let them out early because it doesn't benefit The Big East to have a school leaving to win the conference and they will want to get the new schools in asap.

My guess is that they will hold them only as long as they need to. Once they fill the spots, they will let them walk, but they aren't going to let them go until they have the new members starting.

My guess is that they will hold them only as long as they need to. Once they fill the spots, they will let them walk, but they aren't going to let them go until they have the new members starting.

You both may be partially correct. They will be allowed to leave early when the conference is sure they have the right number of new members and they have gotten Pitt and Syracuse to pay them a very large sum of money.

Well if AF leaves the MWC...that opens up a spot there. Might they go after UTEP? (a natural choice for them). Anyway, there may end up being a spot in the MWC or CUSA....if the MWC were to add UTEP.

If they went after UTEP I think that would likely help us in terms of getting a spot in CUSA. I think this would be a hard decision for UTEP as they really like having access to both Houston (Rice/UH) and Dallas (SMU). Likewise this hurts the Mountain West who would like to keep a foot in the door in DFW with TCU's departure.

It'll be interesting to see if the MWC will let AFA keep its other sports or if AFA will have to find another home for all non-revenue sports.

everything i read says only cusa team big east would consider is ucf, and that s.florida is opposed to that unless necessary to save league. ecu brings little to the table. if big east does add cusa team, then cusa would reload from belt on east coast. they have 4 texas teams in a 12 team conference, and want no more. plus marshall and ecu want another school closer to them, such as w.k. or perhaps fau. once dust settles, i still think belt picks up enough wac schools to go to 12. don't think sjsu,idaho,utah st,or even nmsu would be considered. la tech must be wondering what the heck is going on, as wac just added dallas baptist and cal somebody for baseball only, uta for baseball and basketball, denver and seatle for basketball only. no way la tech gets into cusa with their small market.

• Upvote 1

It'll be interesting to see if the MWC will let AFA keep its other sports or if AFA will have to find another home for all non-revenue sports.

Perhaps they could take BYU's place in the WCC if BYU in fact goes to the Big 12. Or, since the WAC is adding so many non football schools, they could go there.