Please put McNulty in...

cdizzle86

That was the stupidest handling of quarterbacks I have ever seen. Osborn guides the only drive of the night into the redzone and is proptly pulled for the true freshman.... then re-inserted after the freshman fumbles the snap, then pulled again after one play which resulted in the ball being placed on the three? In Bama's house in front of 101,000 screaming fans?

Moronic... purely moronic.

Really ever?

I suppose you are the resident Vince Lombardi?

I can't wait for your next submission of vast football knowledge.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just to make myself clear. I'm not against him putting other QBs in the game, although I didn't understand the change from Osbourne to McNulty, he should of kept Osbourne in to finish that drive. This thread seemed to be saying that McNulty should be playing in front of DT. That is what I completely disagree with.

That is all.

Wow. I guess nobody on here understands how much different it is to go into a game as the starter versus coming into the game in the 4th quarter as the back-up or "goal-line QB." As the starter you have all week for the pressure to build and you will get all the blame or glory depending on how your team does, and rightfully so. Im just saying when you come in during the second half of a game that is not close against a defense that is not full of starters and the emotion that they come out with to begin the game, the pressure does not even compare.

Thompson is the guy for this team, this year. Even though it is a bit frustrating that he does seem to be a threat to the defense to run the ball. Our O line is not very good at all and our receiving corp is worse. Take Stradford out, who does not play anyway, and we have no deep threat. Brelan is our best WR by far and he might be the smallest of the bunch. Losing Darius Carey really hurt. Anyway, Derek is a very smart player and one of the hardest working guys on the team who has been through alot of adversity in his time and is ready to play well once the competition is on our level. Nobody understands what its like to sit back there knowing you only have about two seconds to find WR's who arent even that open. Osborn is the same type of QB as DT with maybe just a bit more elusiveness, but I do not feel his throwing motion is very solid. He has done some nice things in his short stints of PT but he is not the starter for a reason. If he were ever to start and play a whole game with that pressure of the starter I dont think as many would be so optimistic about him. As for McNulty, I've heard alot of good things about what he has done in practice and that he will be a good player in the future. Thats exciting! However, there is no way he is the guy for this team, this year, with all of our deficiencies up front and at the WR position. They need to get him experience at the end of games and in select situations as they are now. Need to be careful not to throw him in the fire right now when all he would be doing is fighting upstream all season. This can destroy a young QB's confidence and then all hope is lost.

Also, take it easy on Chico. It is tough to call plays when you cannot run the ball (as it has been against the defenses we've played so far), and dont really have any deep threats. The DB's are close to the WR's and sit on routes. Our offense is MUCH more creative and much less predictable than the past few years. Coach Mac is trying to build a defensive team that can run the football with power and take our shots at the right time and we just do not have the personnel to get it done yet. It will happen and it is a recipe that has been successful time and time again.

• Upvote 5

Wow. I guess nobody on here understands how much different it is to go into a game as the starter versus coming into the game in the 4th quarter as the back-up or "goal-line QB." As the starter you have all week for the pressure to build and you will get all the blame or glory depending on how your team does, and rightfully so. Im just saying when you come in during the second half of a game that is not close against a defense that is not full of starters and the emotion that they come out with to begin the game, the pressure does not even compare.

Thompson is the guy for this team, this year. Even though it is a bit frustrating that he does seem to be a threat to the defense to run the ball. Our O line is not very good at all and our receiving corp is worse. Take Stradford out, who does not play anyway, and we have no deep threat. Brelan is our best WR by far and he might be the smallest of the bunch. Losing Darius Carey really hurt. Anyway, Derek is a very smart player and one of the hardest working guys on the team who has been through alot of adversity in his time and is ready to play well once the competition is on our level. Nobody understands what its like to sit back there knowing you only have about two seconds to find WR's who arent even that open. Osborn is the same type of QB as DT with maybe just a bit more elusiveness, but I do not feel his throwing motion is very solid. He has done some nice things in his short stints of PT but he is not the starter for a reason. If he were ever to start and play a whole game with that pressure of the starter I dont think as many would be so optimistic about him. As for McNulty, I've heard alot of good things about what he has done in practice and that he will be a good player in the future. Thats exciting! However, there is no way he is the guy for this team, this year, with all of our deficiencies up front and at the WR position. They need to get him experience at the end of games and in select situations as they are now. Need to be careful not to throw him in the fire right now when all he would be doing is fighting upstream all season. This can destroy a young QB's confidence and then all hope is lost.

Also, take it easy on Chico. It is tough to call plays when you cannot run the ball (as it has been against the defenses we've played so far), and dont really have any deep threats. The DB's are close to the WR's and sit on routes. Our offense is MUCH more creative and much less predictable than the past few years. Coach Mac is trying to build a defensive team that can run the football with power and take our shots at the right time and we just do not have the personnel to get it done yet. It will happen and it is a recipe that has been successful time and time again.

Great post. Thank you for the insight from a "QB's perspective".

It's so refreshing to read a post full of logic and intelligent football knowledge. I trust the decisions being made by the most experienced (and successful experience at that!) coaching staff in Mean Green history.

I think Chico has done a pretty good job with play calling, especially in the Alabama game. Getting Lance involved in the passing game and finding ways to get Chancellor the ball has been good. Our biggest problem is execution on 3rd down.

I totally agree with this.

Lance can't run the ball? OK. Lance can catch the ball, then run.

I thought Osborne had a real nice drive and didn't make the bad decisions he did against FIU. However, he only completed 2 out of 6 passes and was going against more second stringers than Thompson. Thompson did go 11-22 with no intercepts and no sacks and I thought he got much better as did the whole offense in the second half.

just need to speed up thompsons decisiion making, not following one receiver the entire play and increase the speed of his release...the tempo of this off seems too slow to me.