Outgunned, Outmanuevered, Outstanding

Harry

Excerpt of Blog Article written by Matt "Mad Dog" McCombs:

If you didn’t have the pleasure of being at this game, let me highly recommend going for Indiana. That is, of course, if you can find a ticket. As expected, it was a full house, and row after row of kelly green was a sight to behold. When it got cranked up on key third downs, for the first time in UNT’s history, crowd noise was a factor. It is beautiful and well designed, and Mean Green faithful have a lot to look forward to once a few gameday kinks get worked out.

The atmosphere was outstanding. The grounds were spacious, beautiful, and seem tailor-made for starting a whole new generation of traditions. Nothing against Clark Park, but it just can’t compare to a pep rally on the hill. The eagle head statue and the slope down to the end zone are dramatic and convey the same sense of tradition as some of the more storied programs in college football. To say it is a huge leap forward is likely the understatement of the century.

The tailgating was incredible. Having space to spread out and do so in a space unhindered by vehicles was amazing. It brought fans together in a way that just isn’t possible in Fouts’ parking lot. I was initially impressed by the field east of the Red Lot, and how big the crowd was in our immediate vicinity. When we did some walking around midday, I was stunned to see that the available space to set up tents literally went completely around the stadium. I can imagine newcomers to the process took note of this and I can envision a sea of tents covering 270 degrees of the stadium space in the future.

THIS was what Saturday was about. Anyone who believed that Houston would leave Apogee with anything but a win shows amazing loyalty, but shocking naiveté. September 10th was about the dawning of a new era at North Texas. While it was the culmination of a lot of work, one should not confuse that with our arrival as a program. Mean Green football has been neglected, underfunded, and whipped to death over the last twenty years, and it isn’t going to get better overnight.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REST OF MAD DOG'S STORY

eh. I would say we won't beat Alabama, but saying we won't be in a bowl game isn't the same. After the game this Saturday, each game in the season can be won. Now you can argue how probable it is that we end up in a bowl game, but saying straight up that we won't is too pessimistic for my taste after having only played two games against two of the three toughest teams on our schedule.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

eh. I would say we won't beat Alabama, but saying we won't be in a bowl game isn't the same. After the game this Saturday, each game in the season can be won. Now you can argue how probable it is that we end up in a bowl game, but saying straight up that we won't is too pessimistic for my taste after having only played two games against two of the three toughest teams on our schedule.

I think you're right save for the Tulsa game. I think GJ Kinne may be the 2nd best QB we see this year behind Case.

I think you're right save for the Tulsa game. I think GJ Kinne may be the 2nd best QB we see this year behind Case.

Yeah, but he got sacked three times against Tulane, which isn't exactly a smash mouth defense. I would certainly put Tulsa on the more likely to beat us end, but not in the same category as UH or FIU.

Yeah, but he got sacked three times against Tulane, which isn't exactly a smash mouth defense. I would certainly put Tulsa on the more likely to beat us end, but not in the same category as UH or FIU.

He's not Keenum but playing on the road, I expect Kinne to carve up this defense, probably not on the scale as UH, but it could get ugly quickly nonetheless.

I see this as a strong possibility:

FIU - Sun Belt Champions

Houston - CUSA Champions

Alabama - SEC Champions

What a way to open a season. I think we unleash the experience and fire on Indiana and get our first W of the season.

Be There!

GMG

I see this as a strong possibility:

FIU - Sun Belt Champions

Houston - CUSA Champions

Alabama - SEC Champions

What a way to open a season. I think we unleash the experience and fire on Indiana and get our first W of the season.

Be There!

GMG

Just to add to this, take a look at each of these three teams' schedules and tell me why they are incapable of going undefeated. The scary thing is that Alabama, because they're in the SEC, is the least likely to get through unscathed. Let that sink in before any "woe is us" talk springs up.