The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Last Nights Game

ahmo05

Well this is my first post of the gmg board. I have a few personal opinons of last nights game. For your reading pleasure I have broken it down into the Good, Bad, Ugly, and the Hopeful.

Well first the Good things I noticed from the game. However, some of these have nothing to do with the game its self but just the overall atmosphere.

1. Tailgating - I love that we now have this beautiful area of grass and trees now to tailgate on. There is plenty of room to expand on this old golf course. No more partying in a parking lot.

2. Attendance - I am so glad the mean green faithful showed up in full force last night to support our team. They say the stadium can hold just under 31,000. I'm sure we can squeeze in a couple more thousand. Even though it was not a sell out last night it was still a great turnout.

3. The 12th man, we successfully had risen the 12th man in the second quarter when UH had to take a timeout due to crowd noise.

4. Our team played well in the first half, besides a few turnovers.

5. Momentum - I personally felt that the team and crowd really increased the momentum going into the second half.

Now for the Bad.

1. As an recent grad who purchased the recent grad season tickets over in section 115 and 116. I am disappointed that the left over seats in this section we sold to the UH fans. I end up standing with the students in 117 because there was to much red down by my seat. I would ask that the university allow the students to have these seats before sending them up into the wing, and sell wing seats to the visitors if there seats are sold out.

2. Turnovers - we beat ourselves in the first half by allowing turnovers.

3. Timeouts - why did we call a timeout on the second play of the game?

Now for the Ugly.

1. The 12th man died. As UH came out a drove down the field for a touch down in the 3rd. The 12th man died. The crowd became less and less interested in creating crowd noise. Near the end of the third it got so quiet I heard my cellphone ring. If we want to have a true home field advantage we need to make some noise. Now I cant call out the mean green nation with out calling out myself as I even stopped cheering mid 3rd quarter because no one would assist in the noise.

2. We forgot there were 2 half's in a game. As we came out in the 3rd the crowd noise dropped, UNT's performance dropped and UH gained confidence; and looked like a time that is contending for votes in the rankings.

3. It will get worse before it gets better. By this I mean is we now go to Alabama to play the tide. Even though I am optimistic, short of a miracle we will be coming back to Apogee with 0-3 record.

My optimistic outlook in the hopeful.

1. FIU may run the table and get into a better bowl then the NO Bowl. Leaving the opportunity for other SB teams to go to other bowls.

2. If UH has the season that some say they will. It will show that we played a respectable first half against them and their Hiseman candidate.

3. Next weeks game may be a trap game for the tide, as they must likely have already marked UNT as a win and are looking forward to an SEC matchup against Arkansas.

4. We can win. The mean green showed us that they can win if they don't beat themselves. We may be able to pull out a bowl game this year if we beat the rest of the SB.

5. That we will continue to have good attendance at Apogee and that the fans continue to come even if we go into the next game at Apogee winless.

Well these are my personal opinions. Let me know what you think. What are your Good, Bad, Ugly, and Hopeful scenarios.

• Upvote 4

The first half had our guys look competitive with, and probably better than UH. Honestly, I think our guys outplayed them and were shafted by more than a few bad calls from the officials. That first half is a pretty good indicator of where our program is headed - and that's where it's competitive with the big boys. I'm anxious to see where Coach Mac can take the team after this, more than ever. Coach Mac made Houston think twice about their gameplan in just his first handful of months here. If he can keep the trend going with recruits and practices, we'll have a monster of a program.

The second half showed the weak point of our team right now, which is depth and conditioning. UH's fast paced gameplan was a bit too much for our D, and our guys got worn out. Again, our D was up to speed with them for the first half, so the potential is there, but football is won in all 4 quarters. Same thing for the offense - they looked great in the first half, but they weren't as sharp in the second. They've gotta be conditioned better than this, and both sides of the ball need depth.

As for the stadium - I'm more impressed every time I set foot in there. I love the way the field gives you a great view of the action, even at the concession stands. I love how the noise is really magnified in there - to the point it drowns out the PA. It's a top-notch stadium, and I love that we can get really close to packing it full.

I'm being an optimist, but if Mac can make great improvements to the team in the next year or two, we can expect Apogee to be at or near capacity every game.

More positives than negatives after last night.

• Upvote 2

Well this is my first post of the gmg board. I have a few personal opinons of last nights game.

1. As an recent grad who purchased the recent grad season tickets over in section 115 and 116. I am disappointed that the left over seats in this section we sold to the UH fans. I end up standing with the students in 117 because there was to much red down by my seat. I would ask that the university allow the students to have these seats before sending them up into the wing, and sell wing seats to the visitors if there seats are sold out.

Great first post ahmo05, and welcome to the board.

I like your idea of keeping the North Texas reserved season ticket sections reserved for North Texas fans. This was only the first game at Apogee and hopefully adjustments will be made to the seating allocation.

I had a similar experience several years ago at the Super Pit when I had basketball season tickets in the 'family section'. Oklahoma State had sold their regular allotment and subsequent OSU orders were filled in our family section. We were surrounded on all sides by OSU fans, many quite vocal about the perceived intense vacuum pressure properties of North Texas, and frankly I wasn't comfortable with my small children being forced into this situation. Every other school puts the overflow visitors in the upper levels, but for some reason we pander to them.

Thankfully, we won that game by a dozen, but we subsequently cancelled our season tickets in the family section and since just buy walk-up tickets for the games that we'll attend. The end result is that we attend far less games because excuses are simply a lot easier to conceive when you haven't paid for the tickets in advance.

I could not go last night due to my wife being ill, but I watched the whole game on ESPN 3

and I used to be an football official and I to noticed the poor officiating. I don't know

where they were from but they were poor to say the least. I noticed on one of Houston's

touchdown passes a Houston tackle trowning (holding) a N.T. player with no call. Also the

call that the ball was touched on the punt that Houston hit our punter. Hopefully, coach will

write all of that up in his report on the officials he sends in after the game.

Scrappyman1

GO NORTH TEXAS ----------GO MEAN GREEN

Thanks everyone. Yes I agree if it keeps up I may end up not purchasing season tickets next year. Hopefully the AD will realize that they should give these tickets to the student before sending them up in the wing. I hope they realize it because at it looks there are only a few season ticket holders in the recent grad section (unless they did like and squeezed in with the students) and we don't want to alienate those who will one day be purchasing the tickets in the other alum areas. I also agree with the missed calls by the officiating crew, especially the block in the back.

Great first post ahmo05, and welcome to the board.

I like your idea of keeping the North Texas reserved season ticket sections reserved for North Texas fans. This was only the first game at Apogee and hopefully adjustments will be made to the seating allocation.

I had a similar experience several years ago at the Super Pit when I had basketball season tickets in the 'family section'. Oklahoma State had sold their regular allotment and subsequent OSU orders were filled in our family section. We were surrounded on all sides by OSU fans, many quite vocal about the perceived intense vacuum pressure properties of North Texas, and frankly I wasn't comfortable with my small children being forced into this situation. Every other school puts the overflow visitors in the upper levels, but for some reason we pander to them.

Thankfully, we won that game by a dozen, but we subsequently cancelled our season tickets in the family section and since just buy walk-up tickets for the games that we'll attend. The end result is that we attend far less games because excuses are simply a lot easier to conceive when you haven't paid for the tickets in advance.

Well this is my first post of the gmg board. I have a few personal opinons of last nights game. For your reading pleasure I have broken it down into the Good, Bad, Ugly, and the Hopeful.

Well first the Good things I noticed from the game. However, some of these have nothing to do with the game its self but just the overall atmosphere.

1. Tailgating - I love that we now have this beautiful area of grass and trees now to tailgate on. There is plenty of room to expand on this old golf course. No more partying in a parking lot.

2. Attendance - I am so glad the mean green faithful showed up in full force last night to support our team. They say the stadium can hold just under 31,000. I'm sure we can squeeze in a couple more thousand. Even though it was not a sell out last night it was still a great turnout.

3. The 12th man, we successfully had risen the 12th man in the second quarter when UH had to take a timeout due to crowd noise.

4. Our team played well in the first half, besides a few turnovers.

5. Momentum - I personally felt that the team and crowd really increased the momentum going into the second half.

Now for the Bad.

2. Turnovers - we beat ourselves in the first half by allowing turnovers.

3. Timeouts - why did we call a timeout on the second play of the game?

Now for the Ugly.

1. The 12th man died. As UH came out a drove down the field for a touch down in the 3rd. The 12th man died. The crowd became less and less interested in creating crowd noise. Near the end of the third it got so quiet I heard my cellphone ring. If we want to have a true home field advantage we need to make some noise. Now I cant call out the mean green nation with out calling out myself as I even stopped cheering mid 3rd quarter because no one would assist in the noise.

2. We forgot there were 2 half's in a game. As we came out in the 3rd the crowd noise dropped, UNT's performance dropped and UH gained confidence; and looked like a time that is contending for votes in the rankings.

3. It will get worse before it gets better. By this I mean is we now go to Alabama to play the tide. Even though I am optimistic, short of a miracle we will be coming back to Apogee with 0-3 record.

My optimistic outlook in the hopeful.

1. FIU may run the table and get into a better bowl then the NO Bowl. Leaving the opportunity for other SB teams to go to other bowls.

2. If UH has the season that some say they will. It will show that we played a respectable first half against them and their Hiseman candidate.

3. Next weeks game may be a trap game for the tide, as they must likely have already marked UNT as a win and are looking forward to an SEC matchup against Arkansas.

4. We can win. The mean green showed us that they can win if they don't beat themselves. We may be able to pull out a bowl game this year if we beat the rest of the SB.

5. That we will continue to have good attendance at Apogee and that the fans continue to come even if we go into the next game at Apogee winless.

Well these are my personal opinions. Let me know what you think. What are your Good, Bad, Ugly, and Hopeful scenarios.

Good points. I will add two to the good list: Chancellor and Orr. Both of these guys are good building blockson offense and defense. I will add one to the ugly list . . . Houston racked up 690 yards of total offense. I like the optimism but I have to temper my expectations as far as this possibly being a bowl team. There's way too many holes on both sides of the ball and yes it will likely get worse before it gets better. I wouldn't rule out Houston running the table either.

Thanks everyone. Yes I agree if it keeps up I may end up not purchasing season tickets next year.

Negative on that one. We need to keep up our season ticket sales. I agree with you on not selling tickets to opposing fans in certain sections, but may I suggest buying tickets in 104-106 (money permitting of course) so we can start filling those sections with rowdy alums who want to yell their heads off?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1