Road closings part of Apogee stadium traffic plan

Harry

Several highway exits and streets will be closed Saturday to help control traffic around the new Apogee Stadium. The University of North Texas football team will play the University of Houston in a 6 p.m. game, and police ask drivers to avoid the area unless they are headed to the game.

[Click image for a larger version]

UNT police Capt. Jim Coffey said traffic experts from UNT police, the Texas Department of Transportation, Denton police, the Texas Department of Public Safety and a private traffic consultant have all collaborated to create the traffic plan.

“This represents the best collective input we’ve been able to get over the last couple years,” Coffey said.

Click Here for The Rest of the Story

reading those comments are such a beating...i don't know how some of you reply to them. it's a shame how some people feel about universities and athletics. i know everyone will never be convinced to be supportive of a local university, but some of those folks take it to a new level.

i wish the article would have stated what time they are going to close down the roads...i believe it was said last night that 1:30 is the beginning...correct?

• Upvote 1

reading those comments are such a beating...i don't know how some of you reply to them. it's a shame how some people feel about universities and athletics. i know everyone will never be convinced to be supportive of a local university, but some of those folks take it to a new level.

i wish the article would have stated what time they are going to close down the roads...i believe it was said last night that 1:30 is the beginning...correct?

I agree with you - and the comments about the pedestrian bridge the day before were well over the top!

But negative people are everywhere - and Denton is certainly no different. It is so easy to hide behind a computer keyboard and type such hurtful, idiotic things - especially when one does not have to face the person or give their name.

I am afraid that I am not as thick-skinned as RV and the rest of the targets of these people - I would have told them where to shove it a long time ago.

• Upvote 1

Is Denton just the Town That Didn't Want To Grow Up? None of these people have ever been to a game at OU, Texas, etc., where streets are shut down or more lanes are used going in at game time and after?

People spend money in your town when they come to the games, dickfilters. Be happy the police and school are trying to make the traffic flow as smoothly as possible.

Part of me hates that we were a hippie school for so long.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

A small subset of Denton residents will complain about anything and everything related to sports and/or UNT.

The comments on DRC usually come from about a dozen people who complain about EVERYTHING. They are uninformed about how the stadium was financed, the historic increase in our attendance, and the college football scene in general.

The comments on DRC usually come from about a dozen people who complain about EVERYTHING. They are uninformed about how the stadium was financed, the historic increase in our attendance, and the college football scene in general.

That's true...and your tolerance of their idiotic comments is commendable. Now if only I wouldn't respond to them.

Since when was a 10 minute walk that big of a deal? Is Denton just full of fatties? The students certainly don't seem to mind with how many tickets they are buying. Plus, the pedestrian bridge will help next season.

Dude, at OU and UT, you are sometimes parked a mile or two away from the stadium - easily.

Of course, the businesses and homeowners around OU and UT gladly take on fans parking with them for $10-$25 per car. These idiots in Denia could make $200-$400 in cash per game weekend if they'd just wake up and stop the hate.

I don't have a degree in math, but if you charges $20 and parked as few as five cars in your yard six weekend, you'd have $600 cash at the end of the season. Ten cars, $1200. And, so on and so on.

I think the problem is, these people don't understand that they can profit from Apogee being so close to them. Do these people hate money?

• Upvote 1

Dude, at OU and UT, you are sometimes parked a mile or two away from the stadium - easily.

Of course, the businesses and homeowners around OU and UT gladly take on fans parking with them for $10-$25 per car. These idiots in Denia could make $200-$400 in cash per game weekend if they'd just wake up and stop the hate.

I don't have a degree in math, but if you charges $20 and parked as few as five cars in your yard six weekend, you'd have $600 cash at the end of the season. Ten cars, $1200. And, so on and so on.

I think the problem is, these people don't understand that they can profit from Apogee being so close to them. Do these people hate money?

I'd just like to say that I agree with you completely on this, having been to both Texas and OU games... and several other major programs. This is such a non-issue.

Dude...these people hate America.

Yes, so much so that they are going to give it away $5.00 per pass to park in their own neighborhood. HAHAHA!

• Upvote 1

So you can't exit from 35w going north on to Bonnie b. Rd to get to victory hall parking?

No, you have to merge north onto I35 and take the next exit Oak St., then turn right onto Oak and go east to Bonnie Brae, then south on Bonnie Brae to the stadium. I guess they think there will be too much traffic coming off Bonnie Brae directly and it would back up onto the highway.

I think this will happen on I35E as you can exit Bonnie Brae there, but more than 30 cars and it will be back out onto the highway. Plus with North Texas Blvd closed, if the general admission and Fouts traffic fails to exit at McCormick they will try and get off on Bonnie Brae. I expect there will be major issues at that exit as the game gets closer. :blink:

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

No, you have to merge north onto I35 and take the next exit Oak St., then go under the highway back south on the access road to Bonnie Brae. I guess they think there will be too much traffic coming off Bonnie Brae directly and it would back up onto the highway.

I think this will happen on I35E as you can exit Bonnie Brae there, but more than 30 cars and it will be back out onto the highway. Plus with North Texas Blvd closed, if the general admission and Fouts traffic fails to exit at McCormick they will try and get off on Bonnie Brae. I expect there will be major issues at that exit as the game gets closer. :blink:

We normally come up on I-35W from Ft. Worth but will be coming from Dallas this time. We have Green Lot parking. If the Bonnie Brae exit is closed I do not know where we will have to get off the highway to return to Apogee Statium. I looked on Google map and did not see an exit at Oak Street/Hichory Street. Do we have to go all the way to the Decatur exit and return ? If some of you Denton residents can help us we would appreciate it.

We normally come up on I-35W from Ft. Worth but will be coming from Dallas this time. We have Green Lot parking. If the Bonnie Brae exit is closed I do not know where we will have to get off the highway to return to Apogee Statium. I looked on Google map and did not see an exit at Oak Street/Hichory Street. Do we have to go all the way to the Decatur exit and return ? If some of you Denton residents can help us we would appreciate it.

The Bonnie Brae exit is open coming from Dallas (not Ft. Worth).

Here is the directions from the official site:

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf8/780721.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=1800&KEY=BNVOONWWVUMIQPZ.20110819133037

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2