Eric Capper Tweets on UNT Student Ticket Sales

Harry

Would that not be accurate (sans 1930s dramatization)?

Am I wrong in thinking that a student should not have to pay for a ticket...especially for the first game in which they footed nearly half the bill?

If the student section and reserved seats fill, then GA should be either for sale to walk-ups or given (since they're already paid for) to students.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm lost in translation...to clarify:

If the 8K allotment is gone and there are still GA available after the game starts (or 5 min prior), students should be able to go to the ticket counter and get tickets for free.

If the 8K allotment is gone and the rest of the seats are sold out (which is looking like a real possibility), too bad.

Better?

• Upvote 1

Hmmm. Maybe I'm lost in translation...to clarify:

If the 8K allotment is gone and there are still GA available after the game starts (or 5 min prior), students should be able to go to the ticket counter and get tickets for free.

If the 8K allotment is gone and the rest of the seats are sold out (which is looking like a real possibility), too bad.

Better?

If we're at capacity and a student is turned away...then yes, too bad.

If, however, the 8000 student allotment is gone...GA tickets should be first come, first serve as either purchase for the general public or given to students.

I think it would create a PR nightmare and a lot of resentment from the students if student 8001 (and obviously subsequent numbers) are told that their only way into a non-sold out game is to BUY a GA ticket.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If we're at capacity and a student is turned away...then yes, too bad.

If, however, the 8000 student allotment is gone...GA tickets should be first come, first serve as either purchase for the general public or given to students.

I think it would create a PR nightmare and a lot of resentment from the students if student 8001 (and obviously subsequent numbers) are told that their only way into a non-sold out game is to BUY a GA ticket.

So, say by some wild chance, the 8K allotment is gone today: Should those available GA tickets be opened up immediately for the students who do not yet have tickets? Or, should they hold them as long as they can for people who want to pay for them?

I kinda think that they should wait until gametime to try and sell as many as they can, and if there are any left, the students can have them.

*Edit: Yes, in the scenario I mentioned, if the student 8001+ wanted to ensure they get in, they would have to pay. Or, they can take a chance and show up at gametime to see if any are available.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

So, say by some wild chance, the 8K allotment is gone today: Should those available GA tickets be opened up immediately for the students who do not yet have tickets? Or, should they hold them as long as they can for people who want to pay for them?

I kinda think that they should wait until gametime to try and sell as many as they can, and if there are any left, the students can have them.

*Edit: Yes, in the scenario I mentioned, if the student 8001+ wanted to ensure they get in, they would have to pay. Or, they can take a chance and show up at gametime to see if any are available.

I would agree.

I don't disagree that this should be policy down the road...however for this first game (or maybe even as much as this first season should we be lucky enough to have this "problem") I think it would be an absolute PR tragedy to have a student turned away or forced to pay (again) for a ticket considering not just the investment they made with voting in the athletic fee, but also how much said vote has been played up and referenced by the AD, administrators, etc.

Does my suggested policy maximize revenue for this first game? No...however I think it would be very myopic to value immediate return over long-term investment here. I mean, in short that is what forced the hand of the AD and university to have to turn to the students for a rather large helping hand on financing this project...short term outlook.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Student 8001 would learn a great lesson that students at many other D1 schools learned long ago (as they have been using this same system for student tickets for eons) and that is...get your ticket on time and early or risk being Mister 8001 and left outside to ponder why he was so lazy.

Go ask the students at each of the three other universities I attended and see what they say and how they make sure they are not "Mister 8001" or whatever the number is at that school. In fact, they too pay an athletic fee, have to line up for tickets ahead of game day...AND at two of the three have to BUY the tickets as well.

Should be no problem for any UNT student wanting to attend if they were at all even remotely paying attention.

For way too long no value was assigned to attending games if one were a UNT student. Thus, students didn't attend in any great numbers (even in the Fry days and even in the years of the New Orleans Bowl...same for men's basketball to this day at UNT).

This system, the new stadium and the new coaching staff will change all that for the better. "Change" is not always easy, but it is often the result of a lot of hard work to improve one's product.

So, easy answer...don't be Mister 8001...that's all. If 8001 shows up...it would actually be a very good thing. When was the last time 8000+ students showed up to attend a football game at UNT?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Student 8001 would learn a great lesson that students at many other D1 schools learned long ago (as they have been using this same system for student tickets for eons) and that is...get your ticket on time and early or risk being Mister 8001 and left outside to ponder why he was so lazy.

Go ask the students at each of the three other universities I attended and see what they say and how they make sure they are not "Mister 8001" or whatever the number is at that school. In fact, they too pay an athletic fee, have to line up for tickets ahead of game day...AND at two of the three have to BUY the tickets as well.

Should be no problem for any UNT student wanting to attend if they were at all even remotely paying attention.

For way too long no value was assigned to attending games if one were a UNT student. Thus, students didn't attend in any great numbers (even in the Fry days and even in the years of the New Orleans Bowl...same for men's basketball to this day at UNT).

This system, the new stadium and the new coaching staff will change all that for the better. "Change" is not always easy, but it is often the result of a lot of hard work to improve one's product.

So, easy answer...don't be Mister 8001...that's all. If 8001 shows up...it would actually be a very good thing. When was the last time 8000+ students showed up to attend a football game at UNT?

In principle, I'm not disagreeing with you...but A. it's new policy...and B. it's the first game at a stadium the student's half-financed. Anything that alienates students from this is bad for future business..."Mr. 8001" for this game may not be "Mr. 3542" when the student section is already less than half-filled for a conference game in October when this team only has 1 win.

If an alumni, a local or a Houston fan walks-up Saturday and is told the game is sold out their reaction is "huh, well...guess I shouldn't have waited...way to go UNT, maybe I'll come back to a future game." There is no risk.

If a student walks and is told they have to buy a ticket after being told our grateful the AD is for their voting in the athletic fee, this creates a MAJOR problem. Whether the student waited or not, the only reason they shouldn't get in for free is if it's at capacity and NO ONE else is getting in.

Additionally...people keep saying that this is how big programs do it...you're right...problem is, we're not big-time yet. How many of these big time programs who sell out their student tickets and ask students to buy GA tickets on top of an athletic fee also needed to turn to their students to finance their stadium. I'm gonna guess none. You can talk to me all day long that this athletic fee is all encompassing, but the truth in perception (and a lot of rhetoric) is that it subsidized construction of Apogee.

• Upvote 3

If a student walks and is told they have to buy a ticket after being told our grateful the AD is for their voting in the athletic fee, this creates a MAJOR problem. Whether the student waited or not, the only reason they shouldn't get in for free is if it's at capacity and NO ONE else is getting in.

Not realistic. If the demand exceeds the supply for students, I'm sure they'll re-assess the number of student tickets for the next game, but if 13,000 students show up on Saturday, they're not going to close the door on 5,000 walk up sales.

I don't disagree that this should be policy down the road...however for this first game (or maybe even as much as this first season should we be lucky enough to have this "problem") I think it would be an absolute PR tragedy to have a student turned away or forced to pay (again) for a ticket considering not just the investment they made with voting in the athletic fee, but also how much said vote has been played up and referenced by the AD, administrators, etc.

Does my suggested policy maximize revenue for this first game? No...however I think it would be very myopic to value immediate return over long-term investment here. I mean, in short that is what forced the hand of the AD and university to have to turn to the students for a rather large helping hand on financing this project...short term outlook.

You're probably right about the PR reprocussions.

I think that if we were a winning program, this wouldn't be an issue and it would basically force the students to "camp out" for the Indiana game so that they can make sure they're one of the first 8K (because the product is worth the wait). That just won't be the case here because we're not a good team and those hypothetical students who are turned away this time would just be bitter about it and probably never attempt to go to another game.

I still think they should try to sell them up until gametime, because the person that walks up at 5:45 on Saturday could be sold on the team/program/stadium/experience and possibly come back again (and pay again). So it wouldn't necessarily be short-sighted.

I also think the standing room only option would be good for this first game as well.

• Upvote 1

though, i have my doubts of this situation actually coming to fruition it is an interesting debate. when i was at the university of tennessee, i had to camp out just to get a lottery ticket to some home games. it would suck to be 8001, but welcome to the world of D1 football. i wish we were having this debate 6 years ago and i imagine Quinn, Cobbs, Hall and Booger do too.

Not realistic. If the demand exceeds the supply for students, I'm sure they'll re-assess the number of student tickets for the next game, but if 13,000 students show up on Saturday, they're not going to close the door on 5,000 walk up sales.

And that is what I think would be very myopic policy.

I went to the stadium today to pick up mu student ticket today, opposed to the rec center or union(also advertised to pick up student tickets) because honestly, I just love the new stadium. Also, I wanted to get a student parking ticket, which apparently is the grass lot across from the stadium, next to the softball field(future site of the baseball field). It was $10 for the student parking ticket which is the same as if i paid for Fouts but will be alot closer & easier to get all the tailgating goodies out of my truck to The Hill. When I was in the team store around 1pm, there was a good 20 some odd people in there. I also noticed they were putting the finishing touches on the APPOGEE signage on the stadium as well as a lot of workers in the stands, not sure why. In the words of Bart Scott, "CAN'T WAIT!"

• Upvote 1

And that is what I think would be very myopic policy.

It's actually the opposite. Tickets can't be unlimited for students, so a number has to be set. That number is 8,000 (at least for Saturday). If 8,000 students show up to all six games this year, I will be impressed and we can begin discussions on adding the second deck.

Like several have said, scarcity breeds value. If someone decides they're never going to a game again, because they took absolutely zero initiative outside of walking up to the ticket office halfway through the first quarter, I'm not going to miss them. Especially on the grand opening of a stadium, you'd have to be an idiot to do that.

The students are paying for half of the stadium, but that doesn't mean they're the supreme rulers of the galaxy. There's a set process, and if they can't follow that, too bad. If more seating is needed, I'm sure that's a problem the athletic department (and the entire school) would love to have.

• Upvote 3

It's actually the opposite. Tickets can't be unlimited for students, so a number has to be set. That number is 8,000 (at least for Saturday). If 8,000 students show up to all six games this year, I will be impressed and we can begin discussions on adding the second deck.

Like several have said, scarcity breeds value. If someone decides they're never going to a game again, because they took absolutely zero initiative outside of walking up to the ticket office halfway through the first quarter, I'm not going to miss them. Especially on the grand opening of a stadium, you'd have to be an idiot to do that.

The students are paying for half of the stadium, but that doesn't mean they're the supreme rulers of the galaxy. There's a set process, and if they can't follow that, too bad. If more seating is needed, I'm sure that's a problem the athletic department (and the entire school) would love to have.

The number 8000, however is arbitrary and no way indicative of potential demand. Once we have an idea of how many students may actually show up we can adjust student allotment and if, as someone mentioned we have student campouts for tickets I'll be over the moon.

Scarcity does breed value...however the product here is not the football, or even the stadium...its the stadium opening...and I don't think you can afix a financial bottom line to something like this. UNT's main goal for Saturday should be to make a strong first and lasting impression...not to make money. If the latter happens as well, bully.

Turning away students or asking them to buy GA tickets will end badly. If 8000 is in fact a hard cap, I dearly hope 7999 students show up.

UH starts letting students in with a swiped card two hours before kickoff. The most motivated are first in line. The north endzone isn't sold out, so quite a bit of overflow can be accommodated (same with the Apogee Wing). If you go over 8K, you start giving students the wing tickets but make sure they don't scalp them somehow. Do students need to show their ID with their student ticket or just show up? Good thing I already have my ticket. This is sounding like a sellout!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UH starts letting students in with a swiped card two hours before kickoff. The most motivated are first in line. The north endzone isn't sold out, so quite a bit of overflow can be accommodated (same with the Apogee Wing). If you go over 8K, you start giving students the wing tickets but make sure they don't scalp them somehow. Do students need to show their ID with their student ticket or just show up? Good thing I already have my ticket. This is sounding like a sellout!

Yes, Students have to show their ID with a student ticket. They were made aware of this when they picked up their tickets.

Just an observation, did you notice that FIU student seating was in the end zone. This despite the FIU students paying much higher athletic fees at this point and many available sideline seats available. I believe that if NT expected that student attendance could be sustained at a higher level than 8,000 there would be more seats allocated or in fact a bigger capacity stadium built. This may be an issue for the first game but I doubt it will be the rest of the season unless there is a big turnaround in team performance. I would like nothing better than the expansion phase being quickly started.

• Upvote 1