I can't wait to Tailgate

KingDL1

Can you elaborate on this? I don't know what "its former self" was. Seems like a pretty good joint in its present state.

Just think of Fry Street, and all its bars, like Hayden Fry. Regardless of what has come since, or what improvements may be made, the yesteryear version is waaaaay waaaay better...because it's the yesteryear version.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just think of Fry Street, and all its bars, like Hayden Fry. Regardless of what has come since, or what improvements may be made, the yesteryear version is waaaaay waaaay better...because it's the yesteryear version.

Or its that it used to be twice as large with a second downstairs bar and a much better service. If that counts as yesteryear syndrome then you've got me pegged.

Unless there's a band you want to see playing on the roof, there's very little reason to go there after lunch.

Edited by Green P1

Or its that it used to be twice as large with a second downstairs bar and a much better service. If that counts as yesteryear syndrome then you've got me pegged.

Unless there's a band you want to see playing on the roof, there's very little reason to go there after lunch.

That is silly, for the sq footage that was closed down, there have been more sq footage opened back up and/or converted to bar space. Yes, Cool Beans lost the extension - but Joe's Cleaners turned into a bar. Yes, the Tomato went away - but Eagle Book and Supply became a bar. Yes, Bagari's was demolished and so was Mr Chopsticks - but Riprocks and Lou's both added huge beer gardens out front - Rick's Place opened back up after a decade shutdown, the old First State Bank became Crooked Crust Pizza, Muthers added a huge side beer garden and became the Garage, The Tavern expanded, and State Club became Jimmy Johns. There are more options down on Fry now then there were 10-15 years ago - and they are all bigger and better than the memories in your heads. Plus the construction is finally underway and the empty lots where the Tomato once stood will soon be filled with new college hangouts, this time with condos on the second and third floors and more parking for the area. I would say that Fry Street has gotten better, not worse - just my opinion. I don't miss the run down comic book stores or empty barber shops THAT much :>).

• Upvote 3

That is silly, for the sq footage that was closed down, there have been more sq footage opened back up and/or converted to bar space. Yes, Cool Beans lost the extension - but Joe's Cleaners turned into a bar. Yes, the Tomato went away - but Eagle Book and Supply became a bar. Yes, Bagari's was demolished and so was Mr Chopsticks - but Riprocks and Lou's both added huge beer gardens out front - Rick's Place opened back up after a decade shutdown, the old First State Bank became Crooked Crust Pizza, Muthers added a huge side beer garden and became the Garage, The Tavern expanded, and State Club became Jimmy Johns. There are more options down on Fry now then there were 10-15 years ago - and they are all bigger and better than the memories in your heads. Plus the construction is finally underway and the empty lots where the Tomato once stood will soon be filled with new college hangouts, this time with condos on the second and third floors and more parking for the area. I would say that Fry Street has gotten better, not worse - just my opinion. I don't miss the run down comic book stores or empty barber shops THAT much :>).

But Stebo, where will all the high school dropouts sit and loiter???

My post referred only to Beans..... but meh.

• Downvote 2

In related news, I'm gonna play an acoustic set at the Sigma Chi tailgate around 330 or 4pm, tomorrow. We're a (mostly) good bunch of people. Come say hello. Have a beer. Have some food.

Yes, this is shameless self-promo.

Yes, I'm fine with it.

Happy Stadium Opening Eve!

As a certified music snob, you can trust me when I tell you this is good stuff and well worth a listen.

Plus...I'll be there...and I know many of you have been longing to meet me, for a variety of reasons...

In related news, I'm gonna play an acoustic set at the Sigma Chi tailgate around 330 or 4pm, tomorrow. We're a (mostly) good bunch of people. Come say hello. Have a beer. Have some food.

Yes, this is shameless self-promo.

Yes, I'm fine with it.

Happy Stadium Opening Eve!

Are you still playing the alumni pavillion?

Are you still playing the alumni pavillion?

No, they put the kibosh on that for this go round. Working out another stadium date. They were concerned with overlapping noise from the other acts that will be playing in the Mean Green Village. So we're gonna see how it goes this time to see if that is in fact a valid concern.

Edited by Eagle1855