FIU

mgfan

I wouldn't have said yes to this question a week ago, but after seeing them in person last Thursday, I think it's possible. I know folks here and elsewhere have made comments about them beating us to the tune they did that read like "we shouldn't be losing to a Sun Belt team like that", as if the fact that they're from The Belt means they simply can't be that good.

They're serious quality, folks.

I thought they might have some question marks on the offensive line and at linebacker, but I don't think those question marks are really that big of a deal any longer. Pragmatically speaking, we're not likely a good benchmark to measure them against when you start talking about their non-conference opponents, but they're playing a weak non-conference schedule. After Louisville, I think they can beat everyone else if they stay healthy. They have everything that you need to win week in and week out: Solid play from a veteran QB (Carroll), two very good running backs (Rhodes and Perry) and one solid running back rotating duties, an offensive line that will give Carroll enough time against a better pass rush than ours and that opens up lanes between the tackles, especially on the left side of the line, for the three-headed RB combo, one no-doubt superstar WR/KR/PR (T.Y. Hilton), two big and fast ends and sideline-to-sideline speed at linebacker and in the secondary.

Yes, it's tempting to downgrade FIU because they're in our conference. I'd caution folks against that, though. FIU has the goods to be a special team this year. I think they could go undefeated.

Can anyone else see FIU going undeafted? With a win at Louisville I think it is possible/probably that they do. It would also be great for the Belt if they do.

Don't overlook UCF. They are at least as good if not better than Louisville. They went 11-3, won CUSA, and finished ranked last year and are receiving votes again this year.