Stuff is happening in places other than Denton with football

I don't have to tell you that things are happening in the college football world. There is a buttload of conference realignment talk, and we aren't being discussed at all. Some people would wonder about their next meal if they thought they were going to starve.

Me. I'd be that guy wondering. Are we stay with the Sun Belt? Are we go with another conference? Who are the choosers, and who are the deciders? Who will lead, and who will follow?

Does OU hold all of the cards? Will anyone dance with Texas and their cumbersome new network? Will there be a MWC, WAC, or C-USA left worth being in once the stampede to move is on?

Mock. Yeah. Ing. Yeah. Bird. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.

We'll never be in the same conference as Penn State, or Florida State, or Oklahoma State, or Mississippi State, or Kent State, or Colorado State, or Washington State, or San Jose State unless and until we start nutting up and beating the likes of Houston and FIU.

We have to do it. Win. We have to ignore how much Todd Dodge sucked and couldn't recruit and coach and stuff. We're not blind. We see what needs to happen. We see it.

ben%2Bten.jpg

"Win, buttmunch!"

"I'm trying, but my lines are too small!"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Dog balls aside, you have to keep your eye on the ball: Bob Stoops said at his weekly press conference today that OU could be in a conference without Texas and live with it.

The wheels of change are in motion. There is no waiting until the off-season, or until we get this many or that many more recruiting classes under our belts, or a year or two from now when it all gels.

Every move you make is important! Have we learned this lesson too late in college football life? Christmas will be here and we won't have any gifts to give or receive.

mcdonalds_christmas_fries.jpg

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't have to tell you that things are happening in the college football world. There is a buttload of conference realignment talk, and we aren't being discussed at all. Some people would wonder about their next meal if they thought they were going to starve.

Me. I'd be that guy wondering. Are we stay with the Sun Belt? Are we go with another conference? Who are the choosers, and who are the deciders? Who will lead, and who will follow?

Does OU hold all of the cards? Will anyone dance with Texas and their cumbersome new network? Will there be a MWC, WAC, or C-USA left worth being in once the stampede to move is on?

We'll never be in the same conference as Penn State, or Florida State, or Oklahoma State, or Mississippi State, or Kent State, or Colorado State, or Washington State, or San Jose State unless and until we start nutting up and beating the likes of Houston and FIU.

We have to do it. Win. We have to ignore how much Todd Dodge sucked and couldn't recruit and coach and stuff. We're not blind. We see what needs to happen. We see it.

ben%2Bten.jpg

"Win, buttmunch!"

I am coming to grips with the reality that we won't be leaving the Sun Belt anytime soon and that it will probably add a few more FCS programs in the next 2-3 years to make up for a few defections.

I am dreading the possibility of dropping down to a new i-aa very soon, even with the new stadium, but the new stadium probably ensures we will have some level of football at UNT for decades to come. I truly believe that if we had not gotten the yes votes to build the new stadium, ol' Fouts would have killed the program for good.

I refuse to allow myself to believe that UTSA and/or Texas State will zoom by us, even if they develop a rivalry that people care about in that neck of the woods, while we have a big matchup with South Alabama or Georgia State in the SBC. I just won't go there...

So, in closing, I would like to thank in no particular order, the following for allowing UNT to find ourselves at this place in time: Apogee, RV, Todd Dodge, Darrell Dickey, Mattress Mac, Craig Helwig, Al Hurley, Theron J. Fouts, Hayden Fry, Texas, SMU, all SWC/CUSA schools, all SLC schools, Southlake Carroll, the Sun Belt Conference, the failed Big West conference, Dr. Pohl, Dr. Bataille, Lee Jackson, gmg.com, our geography and location, Nathan Tune's lost dog (Ray), the passion of Dentonites and Denia Park, Jitter Nolan, Corky Nelson, Steve Sloan, Dennis Parker, Matt Simon, Bob Tyler, Dr. Rawlins, and Gene Stallings. Thanks for all of your contributions, because North Texas (State) would definitely not be where it is without each of your efforts (or lack there of).

I almost forgot to mention scrappy/eppy, as well. My sincerest apologies sir/ma'am...

• Upvote 1

Everyone needs to relax. We don't have to go 8-4 this year to make a statement...4-8 will get that done, considering we have a young team and have not won that many games since 2004. I see no reason to think that we did all of this "too late". The people that decide on these things are not the media, or morons on fan boards not named GMG.com.

What will happen is these conferences will follow the money. So call up all your old buddies from college and don't leave them alone until they come to a game, or buy season tickets. Let them know about our basketball recruiting class and drag them to one of those games too. Ask them if they have heard about our awesome women's soccer team :rolleyes: .

We (the fans) still control a lot of what is going to happen. This current generation of NT students is not going to be the problem...they all went to the stadium during orientation, and are still just as pumped up about the game Saturday despite what happened last Thursday. We don't really have time for them to grow up and buy season tickets though...the 100k alumni in the DFW area are going to have to step up and buy us a little more time until the first generation of "new NT students" graduates.

#rantover.

We don't really have time for them to grow up and buy season tickets though...the 100k alumni in the DFW area are going to have to step up and buy us a little more time until the first generation of "new NT students" graduates.

Technically, you'll be the second generation. :lol:

The reason the attendance has been what it has the past five years has a lot to do with students who were there in the Dickey bowl era. I didn't really care for DD, but could you imagine if that era had never happened? 5k at games, tops.

"Win, buttmunch!"

This is worse than a Dumpsalot thread.

• Downvote 3

Technically, you'll be the second generation. :lol:

The reason the attendance has been what it has the past five years has a lot to do with students who were there in the Dickey bowl era. I didn't really care for DD, but could you imagine if that era had never happened? 5k at games, tops.

I was using the football stadium as the generational starting point, so in my example, the current freshmen are the "first generation". You are right though, the students during the Dickey years have certainly helped attendance in recent years.

I don't think we'll be demoted to the new 1AA once these super conferences take form. Its great we have the stadium now...as they say better late than never. Fortunately we've got it done now so its up all of us putting people in there on gamedays, the team winning and our basketball continuing its upward trend.

As I said before..basketball can't stay the way it as it is right now if we want to reach 'that next level'. We have to be 'automatic' when it comes to winning the belt and making the tourney. We know we have a good BB program so we need to try to be world beaters.

Collectively we all have to put up or shut up and I think we'll need to have some wins in football to give our fanbase and students some decent morale.