Coach Mac's Debut

UNT90

I will give you mine. Keep in mind this is a one game review, not a critique on whether or not Coach McCarney will be successful in rebuilding the program.

The only thing one can take from the game plan rolled out against FIU is that Coach Mac played to shorten the game and try to keep the score manageable. This was prevelent under Coach Dickey, but was reserved for money games and not conference opponents. But even if he was trying to do this, there were completely contradictory calls made to this stratagy. If you don't believe this, let me offer up the following:

Zero 1st down pass plays until under 2 minutes in the 1st half. Zero

Kicking the ball to T.Y ever chance he got

Going for 4th and one and a half on the first series of the game (which was 4 straight running plays, by the by).

Having an offensive game plan that a 2 year old could see coming 4 weeks ago

Dodge was down 28-0 at the end of the 1st quarter in his debut. Coach McCarney was down 28-0 against FIU at the end of the 1st quarter in his debut. Yes, Dodge did have 9 defensive starters returning, but he was also playing OKLAHOMA. The rest of the game really doesn't matter, because when the other team scores 28 in the first quarter they know they can do it anytime they want, and the game is over, anyway.

I don't think constantly telling the media how little talent you have is a good idea, either, and I have posted about it before this game. You keep telling a 20 year old kid he sucks, and he is going to start believing it. Say it in private to your AD, say it in private to your assistants, but don't continually say it publically and expect your players to have any confidence when they open against the defending conference champion.

I hope that Coach McCarney rights the ship, finds a way to make the Houston game competetive, and goes on to turn the program around and make it what we all want it to be, but judging on one game, and one game only, I'd give him the same grade I gave Dodge after his debut.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 10
  • Downvote 7

I will give you mine. Keep in mind this is a one game review, not a critique on whether or not Coach McCarney will be successful in rebuilding the program.

The only thing one can take from the game plan rolled out against FIU is that Coach Mac played to shorten the game and try to keep the score manageable. This was prevelent under Coach Dickey, but was reserved for money games and not conference opponents. But even if he was trying to do this, there were completely contradictory calls made to this stratagy. If you don't believe this, let me offer up the following:

Going for 4th and one and a half on the first series of the game (which was 4 straight running plays, by the by).

Dodge was down 28-0 at the end of the 1st quarter in his debut. Coach McCarney was down 28-0 against FIU at the end of the 1st quarter in his debut. Yes, Dodge did have 9 defensive starters returning, but he was also playing OKLAHOMA. The rest of the game really doesn't matter, because when the other team scores 28 in the first quarter they know they can do it anytime they want, and the game is over, anyway.

I don't think constantly telling the media how little talent you have is a good idea, either, and I have posted about it before this game. You keep telling a 20 year old kid he sucks, and he is going to start believing it. Say it in private to your AD, say it in private to your assistants, but don't continually say it publically and expect your players to have any confidence when they open against the defending conference champion.

I hope that Coach McCarney rights the ship, finds a way to make the Houston game competetive, and goes on to turn the program around and make it what we all want it to be, but judging on one game, and one game only, I'd give him the same grade I gave Dodge after his debut.

FIU was just one game in the grand scheme of things but next week is one of the more important games in our school history. It will be a huge tone setter and attitude going forward. I hope Coach Mac can pull his strings and push his buttons and make this team a lot more prepared and a lot more fierce and hungry. After watching parts of the Houston/UCLA game today I am very worried at how bad it could get.

FIU was just one game in the grand scheme of things but next week is one of the more important games in our school history. It will be a huge tone setter and attitude going forward. I hope Coach Mac can pull his strings and push his buttons and make this team a lot more prepared and a lot more fierce and hungry. After watching parts of the Houston/UCLA game today I am very worried at how bad it could get.

Yep, and people who are poo-pooing the performance last week should realize that a lot of Alums that have been disconnected will be at this game. I will have several at my tailgate. We really need to give them a reason to come back.

• Upvote 2

Good thoughts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You're right, but I can't tell if you are angry about that game plan or not. Or what you would have done differently without hindsight. I don't understand kicking the ball to T.Y. Let me offer up the following:

Go back 4 weeks prior to Thursday. If you were coach for a day what's your game plan?

I kicked the best WR off the team for who cares what. I have a new QB. I have a BA running back with a questionable O-line.

My game plan is:

1. Get Lance Dunbar going. Early and often.

Even if they know what's coming I can demoralize them if I can establish the run early and take pressure off this young QB and get my WRs opened up.

2. Control the clock and the ball

This does have the effect of shortening the game, but it also has the effect of keeping their defense on the field, and ours off of it.

3. Limit turnovers - especially interceptions thrown by my developing QB.

It's not too different from his and once you are down by 21-28 in the 1Q you have to open things up to try to climb back into it.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 3

You're right, but I can't tell if you are angry about that game plan or not. Or what you would have done differently without hindsight. I don't understand kicking the ball to T.Y. Let me offer up the following:

Go back 4 weeks prior to Thursday. If you were coach for a day what's your game plan?

I kicked the best WR off the team for who cares what. I have a new QB. I have a BA running back with a questionable O-line.

My game plan is:

Even if they know what's coming I can demoralize them if I can establish the run early and take pressure off this young QB and get my WRs opened up.

This does have the effect of shortening the game, but it also has the effect of keeping their defense on the field, and ours off of it.

It's not too different from his and once you are down by 21-28 in the 1Q you have to open things up to try to climb back into it.

Everyone else knows that this is the gameplan for the Mean Green, that's the problem.

Maybe letting Chico opening up the passing game early on would've pulled pressure off the running game, but I don't know for sure. I don't think I could have a game plan to win the FIU game. I honestly can't wait to see what the transfers can do for us next season.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 1

Everyone else knows that this is the gameplan for the Mean Green, that's the problem.

Maybe letting Chico opening up the passing game early on would've pulled pressure off the running game, but I don't know for sure. I don't think I could have a game plan to win the FIU game. I honestly can't wait to see what the transfers can do for us next season.

I understand everyone knows this is the game plan, but in the first game as a new coach, I just don't know if my team can execute even if everyone knows what's coming. I have to find that out. Whether it's against OU or FIU. To be sure, I'd feel more comfortable going into the FIU game with that plan rather than OU. Oops.

It's obvious it didn't work and that they changed the play calling as soon as it was obvious it wasn't working. But again, the execution simply wasn't there either.

We fans, coaches and players, should have a lot to learn from this game.

Edited by MeanMag

For those that weren't there, it was a sloppy wet mess, rain the entire first half. Didn't stop FIU, but they spend quite a bit of time in South Florida in the rain. It affected us, especially when you arm tackle. The fact we manned up on Hilton is beyond me. We should have doubled him all night with press at the line and a dedicated safety over the top, made them beat us some other way. We tried to establish Lance early, they loaded up and crushed it. We kept feeding T.Y. with punts, kickoffs and open receptions and he did his damage. Expected more, still do, interesting to see what kind of character this team has.

• Upvote 2

My thoughts, in a word...disappointing. FIU may be the defending SBC co-champions (with a 7-6 overall record in 2010), but they are NOT anywhere close to being the same caliber team as Oklahoma State, Illinois, Purdue, Clemson, Florida, Florida State or even Kentucky. Obviously, and painfully so, neither are we anywhere close to being the same caliber team as our SBC brethren, who all fared much better against the aforementioned and much tougher opponents.

I didn't expect to win, but I didn't expect to be down 28-0 at the end of the first quarter either. I cut my vacation in Vancouver short a day just so I could be in town to listen to the MGR broadcast....shame on me.

It is times like these when, sadly, I must reread the Kram quote in my sig to find solace. Sure, we have a great new stadium and a new HC with FBS experience but none of that means squat if we can't be competitive, let alone actually win. I hate losing, always have and always will.

My game plan is:

Extremely disappointed in the game plan. Yes, you don't know what you have at QB going into the game. Guess what. You still don't, because you never gave him the opportunity to find out. How the hell can you judge your QB when you throw ZERO 1st down passes until you are down 31-3?

Look, Im not a coach, but my game plan would have been to run play fakes to Dunbar to start the game and see what DT could do. Maybe get them back on their heels a bit and then go back to Dunbar. After the chancellor return on the 1st possession, I would have play faked and gone deep on the 1st play. Punch that F'er n the mouth. If it's picked, it's as good as punt.

I damn sure would have opened it up after I saw them run blitz on every down during the 1st possession.

These are things I think Chico would have done, also, if allowed.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you know something, please share. Otherwise your statement is speculation.

Your game plan would be fine, but we still would have had to execute it.

I know the Chico that coached the last 5 games last year, and that game plan wasn't him. Do you seriously think it was his decision to run the ball on every 1st down the entire 1st half? Did you not see last year's offense? Do you not remember the one knock on Coach Mac from the Iowa St. fans that came on here after the hire?

Agreed, you would have to execute the game plan I mentioned, but at least you would 1) have a much better read on DT as a QB, 2) would have given your team a chance to win. I'm not saying they would have, but at least you give them a chance.

Also, to answer one of your previous questions, I predicted a breakout game for DT, because I thought the game would be to use Dunbar as a decoy early and open up the passing game. For those who somehow think FIU is more of a "mudder" than UNT, well, that's just...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I wonder if part of the game plan was geared toward figuring out exactly what he has and doesn't have. Just thinking out loud.

See, this is the confused part of it, because if you wanted to find out what you had, surely you would put an unknown at QB in a spot to be successful. Zero pass attempts on 1st down and very few on 2nd down the entire 1st half does not do that. When DT threw the ball in the first half, FIU pretty much knew it was coming because it was 3rd and long. Why would you do that if you were trying to figure out exactly what you had?

Completely dumbfounding.

• Upvote 2

I know the Chico that coached the last 5 games last year, and that game plan wasn't him. Do you seriously think it was his decision to run the ball on every 1st down the entire 1st half? Did you not see last year's offense? Do you not remember the one knock on Coach Mac from the Iowa St. fans that came on here after the hire?

Agreed, you would have to execute the game plan I mentioned, but at least you would 1) have a much better read on DT as a QB, 2) would have given your team a chance to win. I'm not saying they would have, but at least you give them a chance.

Also, to answer one of your previous questions, I predicted a breakout game for DT, because I thought the game would be to use Dunbar as a decoy early and open up the passing game. For those who somehow think FIU is more of a "mudder" than UNT, well, that's just...

Since Mike Canales took over, our offense really has struggled except for the games when he was interim coach where I believe the TE coach was calling the plays. Maybe Canales is conservative and the points about Mac and before that Dodge making him conservative are off base?

My 2 cents was that the folowing was occurring based on comments by Mac.

He wanted to see

who can play in the game

who will play in the game

Each time FIU scored what was the problem

missed tackles (execution game plan or need for better coaching)

blown coverage (execution game plan or need for better coaching)

Now my observations

The QB held the ball to long

The QB can throw the long ball

Some of our receivers should have caught the ball hence the issue (who will play in the game)

Did not see a lot of draws, screens, quick slants, curls or short outs to counter the aggressive

defense rush.

The OL was continued to be shuffled after JJ (center) got injured during the game.

They need to get the ball into the hands of our receivers who can catch Outlaw, Chancler(sp)and how about

Dunbar out of the backfield and some of our other running backs.

The D was able to score to keep us from getting skunked

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

June Jones went 1-11 in his first season at SMU.

Three years later, SMU is on the verge of moving to the Big 12.

dry.gif

I think that's what has so many panicked. The timing. With the big 12 desolving before our eyes and the feeling that shake ups are coming sooner than later, we don't have much time to rebuild. If the music stops next year and we're coming off a 1-11 season, we could be in trouble. SMU went through that 3 years ago and is now in a good spot. We need shakeups to happen 3 years from NOW The conference shakeups won't wait for us to rebuild hence the feeling we have to win now.....and that's probably not realistic.

• Upvote 1

Its how you take criticism, when my boss tells me that Im doing something wrong its not because hes an ass, its because he wants to help me improve. Thats coaching, do you want him to tell them that they can go 12-0 and win a national championship, NO. Keep your expectations real and learn from your mistakes. If my boss tells me that I am underachieving, Im going to strive to be better and ask how I can improve. If you dont have that kind of mindset or goals for yourself, youll have a tough life ahead.

He wanted to see

who can play in the game

who will play in the game

Now my observations

The QB held the ball to long

The QB can throw the long ball

Again, if he wanted to see if Thompson could play, why not give him a chance to be successful in the 1st half. Thompson absolutely did not have that chance.

Its how you take criticism, when my boss tells me that Im doing something wrong its not because hes an ass, its because he wants to help me improve. Thats coaching, do you want him to tell them that they can go 12-0 and win a national championship, NO. Keep your expectations real and learn from your mistakes. If my boss tells me that I am underachieving, Im going to strive to be better and ask how I can improve. If you dont have that kind of mindset or goals for yourself, youll have a tough life ahead.

Again, your boss telling you is one thing. Your boss moaning to the media every chance he gets about what a poor job you do and how you just aren't cut out for your position is something completely different. I'm also assuming you are a grown man, These are 18-22 year old kids. What a coach who came from a BCS championship program says about them will have an impact on them.

• Downvote 1

The coaches on our staff have way more first hand college football and bowl game experience than all of us combined. Let's not sit here from our office chairs and make ridiculous game plans that are "better" than the coach's. They know what they are doing. They know what tools they do and don't have. They will figure it out.

If you want to make up pretend game plans and boost your ego, go play NCAA Football 12 on your favorite gaming system.

All we should be concerned about is showing up to the games, getting our friends to come to the games with us, and creating a true home field advantage for our team.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

The coaches on our staff have way more first hand college football and bowl game experience than all of us combined. Let's not sit here from our office chairs and make ridiculous game plans that are "better" than the coach's. They know what they are doing. They know what tools they do and don't have. They will figure it out.

If you want to make up pretend game plans and boost your ego, go play NCAA Football 12 on your favorite gaming system.

All we should be concerned about is showing up to the games, getting our friends to come to the games with us, and creating a true home field advantage for our team.

You could have posted this after Dodge's 1st game. How did that work out again?

As far as the whole shut up and get friends to come to the game, I've got 30 coming September 10, and I'd like for them to have a reason to return.

Oh, and this is a college football fan board. If no one told you before, this is kind of what we do.

• Upvote 3

Simply fans discussing a game. Don't know what you see wrong with that.