Awasom and Cobbs Survive

BIG DAWG

Both Patrick and Adrian Awasom survive the final cuts for New Orleans and Minnesota, but does anyone know why Cobbs is on the Injured/Reserve list???

I do not remember him getting hurt in the preseason. Anyone with any knowledge of his status???

I don't know Cobbs' injury, but regardless, this is not good for him. They didn't cut him, but he becomes a victim of one of the stupidest rules in sports.

In the NFL, any player who is placed on reserve/injured is ineligible for the entire season and postseason. He can't play, practice, or dress in 2011-12. The NFL has the most restrictive policy on this of any sport, many say ridiculously so. It was instituted to stop roster spot abuse, i.e., parking healthy players on the injured list without losing a roster slot, and then putting them back in when convenient. For more on that crime, Google "Belichik" and "injured" and "cheating." In such a risky sport, the R/I rule has the effect of consigning lots of good players to lost seasons for no good cause.

The Saints can now replace Patrick for this year and stay within their roster numbers. They still own his contract and he still gets paid his full salary for the whole season. Next year, they can reactivate him or not.

I don't know Cobbs' injury, but regardless, this is not good for him. They didn't cut him, but he becomes a victim of one of the stupidest rules in sports.

In the NFL, any player who is placed on reserve/injured is ineligible for the entire season and postseason. He can't play, practice, or dress in 2011-12. The NFL has the most restrictive policy on this of any sport, many say ridiculously so. It was instituted to stop roster spot abuse, i.e., parking healthy players on the injured list without losing a roster slot, and then putting them back in when convenient. For more on that crime, Google "Belichik" and "injured" and "cheating." In such a risky sport, the R/I rule has the effect of consigning lots of good players to lost seasons for no good cause.

The Saints can now replace Patrick for this year and stay within their roster numbers. They still own his contract and he still gets paid his full salary for the whole season. Next year, they can reactivate him or not.

How is that not good for him? They could have cut him. But now, he makes his full salary for the year, and he doesn't have to do anything.

How is that not good for him? They could have cut him. But now, he makes his full salary for the year, and he doesn't have to do anything.

Maybe someone who knows Patrick personally can answer this better in his particular case. In general, I believe the money's not the point. Most players want to earn their pay by playing. It's a year lost out of a necessarily time-limited NFL career. Not many players want to spend that year watching their team on TV at the gym while they work out alone instead of being part of the glory of what they love doing. MLB and the NBA don't do it that way. Neither should the NFL, in my view.

Edited by Green to the Bone

Maybe someone who knows Patrick personally can answer this better in his particular case. In general, I believe the money's not the point. Most players want to earn their pay by playing. It's a year lost out of a necessarily time-limited NFL career. Not many players want to spend that year watching their team on TV at the gym while they work out alone instead of being part of the glory of what they love doing. MLB and the NBA don't do it that way. Neither should the NFL, in my view.

That's a bummer, man. Was looking forward to him being able to contribute on a contender. Was and always will be a huge Cobbs fan.

He can't play. Thus, he can not impress the coaches and give them a reason to keep him down the road.

Perfect example, Henry Melton; drafted in the 4th round, placed on IR his rookie season, now in his 3rd season he is the starting DT. Sometimes its not bad being placed on IR, that means that the coaches didnt want on the practice squad for another team to pick you up but wants to give you time to learn the plays and become a better player the next year.