Thompson Vs. Osborn

MeanGreenGlory

I'm a diehard, but I'm no analyst. Osborn came in and played against a second string FIU defense but (I thought) looked great. Comfortably, efficient, and effective.

What did you more skill-savvy fans think?

I think one of them played against starters, overthrew some balls, and had some drops. Completed 50% of his passes for 5 yards per attempt.

The other came in against some backups who were playing out the clock with a big lead, overthrew some balls, had a drop or two. Completed 1 more than 50% of his passes for just under 5 yards per attempt.

Whatever made the coaches decide to give Thompson the job... I don't think Osborn took it away from him tonight.

Based on what I listened to and what I saw before my internet crashed out, it was going to be hard for Thompson to get any throws off with the kind of protection he was getting. Plus, it didn't seem like the receivers were interested in helping him very much. I would say until he personally costs us a game, which I assure you he did not tonight, see how he plays and develops. Scott Hall went through similar problems, and lets be honest Andrew Smith (rest in peace) only had to hand the ball to Patrick Cobbs and Kevin Galbreath. I think he'll be fine. First start, regardless of whether it's Miami or FIU or UGA or whomever, is always the toughest. Let's see how mentally tough he is before making a decision

I agree Thompson had a.... decent game. He is pretty much a starting freshman. I do believe Osborn faced an FIU team that had a lot of their second stringers in, but remember Osborn is a "second" string quarter back, and he looked good. I believe Osborn looked cool, calm, and collected in the pocket, more so than Thompson. he'll get another chance, especially when it gets out of hand with Houston ( hope I'm wrong). Don't get me wrong Thompson did alright too. I think there will be a battle for the starting position for awhile.

Osborn looked much more at ease in the pocket, but he made 2 throws that should've been picked off and taken to the house. Thompson had a few throws off his back foot that were right on target and had the receiver muff it (powers & #3). Thompson nor osborn stepped into their throws, thus, all their balls were sailing high. Even on short routes they weren't extending off that front leg and delivering the ball. That was a disturbing trend that I hope gets fixed.

Osborn looked much more at ease in the pocket, but he made 2 throws that should've been picked off and taken to the house. Thompson had a few throws off his back foot that were right on target and had the receiver muff it (powers & #3). Thompson nor osborn stepped into their throws, thus, all their balls were sailing high. Even on short routes they weren't extending off that front leg and delivering the ball. That was a disturbing trend that I hope gets fixed.

Taylor had a wide-open pass hit him perfectly and he dropped it!!

Also Stradford did not bring in a pass that one would have expected him to bring in.

This is what I saw. I thought Thompson had better decision making. Osborn could have really made the game even uglier had the 1st string defense been in. I don't think there will be any change in starters anytime soon.