They weren't ready

You can't have someone hang 28 on you in a quarter. I don't care what quarter or what game or at what tenure in a coach's career.

I didn't watch the first half because today was the day our company moved, and it took the movers until damn near eight to clear out. But, I've review the play-by-play, and here's what I see:

-Giving the home team a short field right off the bat at their 29. Bad special teams.

-Going for 4th and 1 on the road early in the game. Still alot of game left. Punt and pin them back. Play the percentage - especially on the road with a young team

-Wrap up your tackles. Bad defense

-Protect the ball. Especially on the road - and, when behind by 21.

That's just the first quarter.

I realize people might be jacked up and wanting to prove themselves on the 4th and 1 on the FIU 40 on our first possession. But, what separates the Tom Osborns and Barry Switzers of the world from the also-ran coaches is they realized a football game is 60 minutes long.

There's a time to call a knock out play or a smash mouth play. But, that time is not with 57 minutes left in the game. Play the percentages.

And, a smash mouth play is not run from the shotgun! I thought we had this figured out after the Dodge fiasco! Put a damn fullback in the game and pound out your one yard if you are going to try to pound it short!

The dropped passes from years and years and years gone by continues. Can no one recruit even one wide receiver who can make catches in the clutch? Oh, hell...forget about the clutch; there's no need for clutch when you're down 28...just one player who can catch the ball consistently would be nice for a change!

About midway through the 3rd, we take over at the our 13. We drive to their 47 in seven plays: four runs, three passes. Then, bomb. Then, bomb. Then, another pass. We lost rhythm. Yes, I know passes were dropped. But, keep something positive going.

I feel pretty disappointed overall. I guess I could say that I'm proud they kept fighting. But, f*ck that. If I want fighting, I'll watch a boxing match. I'm not interested in fighting; I'm interested in winning. Winning means smart coaching and smart playing. Both were lacking tonight.

The only positive is that we didn't start this season on the road at OU or Texas. They'd have pounded us to the tune of 60 or 70 points.

Which brings me to my final point: NO REDSHIRT FOR DTs! Keep throwing any available DT out there until you find out which ones are going to make plays. That means giving Brooks and Thompson a baptism by fire beginning next week and continuing throughout the season.

Frogfart.

(AND, USE YOUR F*CKING TIGHT ENDS, DILLBRAINS!)

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You can't have someone hang 28 on you in a quarter. I don't care what quarter or what game or at what tenure in a coach's career.

I didn't watch the first half because today was the day our company moved, and it took the movers until damn near eight to clear out. But, I've review the play-by-play, and here's what I see:

-Giving the home team a short field right off the bat at their 29. Bad special teams.

-Going for 4th and 1 on the road early in the game. Still alot of game left. Punt and pin them back. Play the percentage - especially on the road with a young team

-Wrap up your tackles. Bad defense

-Protect the ball. Especially on the road - and, when behind by 21.

That's just the first quarter.

I realize people might be jacked up and wanting to prove themselves on the 4th and 1 on the FIU 40 on our first possession. But, what separates the Tom Osborns and Barry Switzers of the world from the also-ran coaches is they realized a football game is 60 minutes long.

There's a time to call a knock out play or a smash mouth play. But, that time is not with 57 minutes left in the game. Play the percentages.

And, a smash mouth play is not run from the shotgun! I thought we had this figured out after the Dodge fiasco! Put a damn fullback in the game and pound out your one yard if you are going to try to pound it short!

The dropped passes from years and years and years gone by continues. Can no one recruit even one wide receiver who can make catches in the clutch? Oh, hell...forget about the clutch; there's no need for clutch when you're down 28...just one player who can catch the ball consistently would be nice for a change!

About midway through the 3rd, we take over at the our 13. We drive to their 47 in seven plays: four runs, three passes. Then, bomb. Then, bomb. Then, another pass. We lost rhythm. Yes, I know passes were dropped. But, keep something positive going.

I feel pretty disappointed overall. I guess I could say that I'm proud they kept fighting. But, f*ck that. If I want fighting, I'll watch a boxing match. I'm not interested in fighting; I'm interested in winning. Winning means smart coaching and smart playing. Both were lacking tonight.

The only positive is that we didn't start this season on the road at OU or Texas. They'd have pounded us to the tune of 60 or 70 points.

Which brings me to my final point: NO REDSHIRT FOR DTs! Keep throwing any available DT out there until you find out which ones are going to make plays. That means giving Brooks and Thompson a baptism by fire beginning next week and continuing throughout the season.

Frogfart.

(AND, USE YOUR F*CKING TIGHT ENDS, DILLBRAINS!)

I'm pretty sure that Brooks played; I heard his name called by our announcers, and he was on the participation report. I hope they check out the film, and if he was "getting the pressure" as described by JubJub, start him.

I'm pretty sure that Brooks played; I heard his name called by our announcers, and he was on the participation report. I hope they check out the film, and if he was "getting the pressure" as described by JubJub, start him.

Yes, but when did he enter the game. I didn't see the first half. I'm not real interested in him being in on the safety when the score is 41-14 with a minute and a half left in the game. At that point, the FIU team is already thinking about what bars and clubs to hit along La Calle Ocho and South Beach.

• Upvote 1

The pieces we need will have to be found through trial and error. Once we find our guys, we'll be fine. But we have to find a way to more importantly protect Thompson or whoever is playing QB. The dudes took some shots. I have faith in the Thompson kid, but they need to bring the ball thrower out to practice and make the receives use those things until their hands fall off.

As far as the missed tackles, it was far worse in the Dodge era, primarily because they never practiced in pads. Someone on defense needs to put their foot into everyone else's arse IOT light a fire into them. That receiver assaulted us singlehandedly.

• Upvote 2

Didn't Brooks cause a safety?

This is like that mindset after the OU blowout in Dodge's opener. OU got up 63-0, had their third teamers in and Vizza accidentally hits Fitzgerald with a bomb. And, it's then 63-7.

I mean, your perspective about how a player is playing has to involve whether or not the team on the opposing sideline still even give a sh*t about what is happening on the field.

If Brooks pressures the QB in the first quarter so much so that he can't hit T.Y. Hilton for a 60 yard score, that's one thing. Getting a safety against fellow second teamers while behind by 27 in the fourth...worthless. It proves nothing. Do it when the game is still on the line.

• Upvote 1

Does your son play hockey because you sound like one of those hockey dads... SHUT UP,

FIU won the belt last year and dominated us last year, like i said before give credit where credit is due

In the post game, coach McCarney said "no excuses." Therefore, I give you no excuses. I'll be as hard on McCarney as I was on Dodge if we continue to suck.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Wait, I thought they used the tight ends? Wasn't that the guy who kept dropping first down passes?

They threw to the TEs. I imagine after the Dodge era, there are some who want every pass thrown to be to a TE. And yes, the TEs had some drops (or maybe defenders made plays, it's kind of hard to tell the difference on the radio). But I don't think they had more drops than our WRs.

In the post game, coach McCarney said "no excuses." Therefore, I give you no excuses. I'll be as hard on McCarney as I was on Dodge if we continue to suck.

Great, so you're committed to being unreasonable again.

I've got a pretty good history on this board of blaming coaches, but I wouldn't put this one on Mac.

No one outside of Denton picked UNT tonight.

Defending conference champ at home with returning "pre-season All American and Heisman hopeful" smoked us in the first quarter. Then the coach made adjustments and the bleeding stopped, but he's couldn't work a miracle and overcome the 28 point deficit.

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Not many thought NT would win over FIU, on the other hand not many thought NT would be almost totally non-competitive. Fact is that Mac in his first game didn't look much better than Dodge against OU. The game plan in both games were garbage. The first quarter of last nights game was as bad as it could get. Other than Chancellor on special teams, the offense and defense looked totally unprepared and as bad as it can get. I would have thought that any coaching staff would have recognized that FIU was going to stack the line and dare NT to throw, but NT looked totally unprepared. Despite last years' game, I guess it never dawned on the coaching staff that Dunbar would not be allowed to run for hundreds of yards. Likewise, It appeared that the defense had never heard of Hilton.

The good thing it is only one game and should have been a helluva learning experience. I still think the talent is better than last year and that NT will get much better. Thompson is a better QB than he showed last night. He was obviously rattled and the game plan certainly didn't help. McCarney will have success but it takes a lot more than talk. I don't know what all went wrong but the team was not close to being ready to play. Those taking solace in the last three quarter score, don't. It may be superior to getting beat 100 to 0, but once a team opens up like FIU, there is a tendency to coast.

---Winning is more about defense than offense... That (and special teams) was the entire problem with the Dodge era and is tough to correct in one season ... We need to recruit better on that side of the ball..

At the end of the day it's still effing FIU. Which by the way went a dominating 7-6. Have some standards for once.

I agree with this.

Look, if it's 27-16 or something at the end of the night, I'm feeling much better about it. Here's my problem:

-The threat of T.Y. Hilton was no secret before the game

-The FIU run game was no secret before the game.

So, what do we get?

-At kickoff, Hilton off to the races, giving FIU the ball at our 29.

-A minute or so later - after a poorly conceived 4th and 1 fail - Hilton going 60 yards in one play.

-A series or two later, FIU running all over our defense to the end zone with obligatory missed tackles.

I mean, come on. I heard Jub and Hank talking about the coaches saying, "Well, you're going to have to kick it to Hilton at some point." No. No, you're not. Don't invite it on your young team first game out.

At 14-0, FIU had 89 yards of offense. We weren't making it easy on them. And, it was dumb coaching choices that led to giving FIU great and good field position twice.

No excuses, fellas. The coaches may have been overconfident in game one and let their brains fall out of their heads. Tailor the game to the talent you have.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with this.

Look, if it's 27-16 or something at the end of the night, I'm feeling much better about it. Here's my problem:

-The threat of T.Y. Hilton was no secret before the game

-The FIU run game was no secret before the game.

So, what do we get?

-At kickoff, Hilton off to the races, giving FIU the ball at our 29.

-A minute or so later - after a poorly conceived 4th and 1 fail - Hilton going 60 yards in one play.

-A series or two later, FIU running all over our defense to the end zone with obligatory missed tackles.

I mean, come on. I heard Jub and Hank talking about the coaches saying, "Well, you're going to have to kick it to Hilton at some point." No. No, you're not. Don't invite it on your young team first game out.

At 14-0, FIU had 89 yards of offense. We weren't making it easy on them. And, it was dumb coaching choices that led to giving FIU great and good field position twice.

No excuses, fellas. The coaches may have been overconfident in game one and let their brains fall out of their heads. Tailor the game to the talent you have.

It doesn't matter if Hilton and FIU's running game were known threats before the game. They created a "pick your poison" dilemma for a young defense running a system they were introduced to only 9 months ago.

As for not having to kick to Hilton Jub and Hank were right, at some point you have to do it. If you try not to chances are you're going to kick it out of bounds more than once, not worth the risk. Our coaches made the right choice in kicking to him and putting our special teams to the test. And despite the big return on the opening kickoff our special teams responded well including the caused fumble resulting in the touchdown.

I also disagree with the "it's still FIU" point. As was stated in another thread, just watch how they do the rest of the season and you'll that this is a very good team that could be competitive in a number of other conferences. Not saying FIU is a powerhouse but this year they have a very good team.

I take solace in the fact that it is only 1 game...a game that we were supposed to lose. Heck, we could end up going 6-2 in conference if we get our stuff together. If this game had been played later in the year after Thompson (who had what, like 12 plays worth of college experience going into last night) had some time to settle in and get some experience, the game could have been a lot different.

It was a disappointing loss, but the competition (in conference at least) is going to be a little easier toward the end. I just hope the students show up this year regardless of what happens.