Dallas Morning News Preview of North Texas

Green59

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/unt-mean-green/20110826-brett-vito_s-unt-preview-mean-green-ready-for-turnaround.ece

“We expect to win,” UNT quarterback Derek Thompson said. “It hasn’t worked out in the past, but it is the past. We are going to come in here with this new coaching staff and do whatever it takes to win.”

“Why not North Texas?” has become McCarney’s catch phrase during what has amounted to an off-season promotional tour.

Edited by Green59

I would like to see a win over a nonconf. team. 5-7 best....3-9 worst.

Here is the best chance for a non conference win. Last week I watched the Big Ten Network fall camp show on Indiana. Their weaknesses are in OL and DL size, their five quarterbacks have a combined 11 collegiate completions and their defense was bad last year giving up 83 points to Wisconsin and over 40 to Illinois, Michigan and Penn State...This all sounds familiar. Let's hope that Mac is the X factor to North Texas beating a team from the mighty Big Ten Conference!

• Upvote 2

I have read article after article that states that a team who has a bunch of injuries one

year will end up wining one to two more games than they did the year with injuries due to

the experience of the players forced to have playing time because of the injuries and due

to the experience they gained. I truely belive we will win at least five games one of which

will be Indiana by three to five points, as well as FAU, LALA, Mid Tenn, and Western Kentucky

Don't be surprised with another win thrown in there against either Ark State or La Monroe.

I still predict 5-7.

SCRAPPYMAN 1

• Upvote 2

There were reports earlier in the week about how we'd be paired up with the TCU preview. I was pleasantly surprised that they dedicated more real estate to UNT than the the Horned Frogs.

That's good to hear, because the Star-Telegram completely ignored us in their special football edition. One section to TCU, one section to the Big XII and "national" colleges, and section to area high schools. Nary a mention of the Mean Green.

• Upvote 2

Seriously. Those who think we get 3 or 4 wins are shooting way too low. We managed 3 wins last year with TD as our head coach. The difference of a real coaching staff is considerable in the Sun Belt. Player to player we are not outmatched to terribly not to be able too have a chance in every Sun Belt game.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle

Seriously. Those who think we get 3 or 4 wins are shooting way too low. We managed 3 wins last year with TD as our head coach. The difference of a real coaching staff is considerable in the Sun Belt. Player to player we are not outmatched to terribly not to be able too have a chance in every Sun Belt game.

I think we only managed one win last year under Todd Dodge. The WKU and Middle victories were under Canales; and I don't think they would have been possible had Dodge still been here. I agree with the rest of your point though. This coaching staff is terrific and will lead to victories this year. There is no reason why we can't beat every Belt team.

• Upvote 3

I think we only managed one win last year under Todd Dodge. The WKU and Middle victories were under Canales; and I don't think they would have been possible had Dodge still been here. I agree with the rest of your point though. This coaching staff is terrific and will lead to victories this year. There is no reason why we can't beat every Belt team.

To expound on your post, or "pile on" if you're still inexplicably a Dodge apologist, we would have hd more than the one win coming into Canales' short tenure with any other coach in America through the first eight games. Any other coach. Even the dickey monster. Seriously. Yes, even him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And the worst part was how he intentionally injured his first 3 starting quarterbacks, his top 2 centers, a starting WR, his starting H-back, TE/special teams captain, punter, starting right guard, and starting CB. What kind of an idiot coach would do that?

I know you were half joking, but Dodge DOES bear responsibility in the injury situation.

He practiced half-a$$ with limited contact. This leads to injuries. Coach Mac has had the boys hitting all fall. Seems to be holding up pretty well (so far).

• Downvote 1