UNT FB Preview: DE

cl_1_2008

In my opinion, our best defensive end is Brandon McCoy. From this point on I will refer to him as Sarge. Sarge is listed at 6'2" 270 pounds. He's the only lock to start. The new coaching staff originally pinned him as a DT. To be honest, I don't give a damn if he plays DT or DE. If he's on the field, he's going to make plays. Don't believe me? Watch some film from last year. When he was on the field, good things happened. On the other side, we have KC Obi, at 6'2" 249. KC is an undersized run-stopper at defensive end. Our third end, Brandon Akpunku, is going to be used mostly in pass-rushing situations. He's a tremendous athlete at defensive end. He'll be able to get into the backfield, strictly because of speed. He will make plays for the Mean Green this year, whether he starts or not, this I promise you. Our fourth end, Daryl Mason, will also be on the field this year. He is a true freshman, and he is very undersized, but I hear he is a very good playmaker and the coaches love him. Our 5th end is Aaron Bellazin, who is a sophomore. He's a tremendous athlete, but like most everyone at this position, he is undersized. Our downfall at this position will not be talent. We have plenty of talent. However, the talent that we have is very undersized, especially after the starters.

Starter: Brandon McCoy

Starter: KC Obi

2: Brandon Akpunku

2: Daryl Mason

3: Aaron Bellazin

Starter Position Rating: 5.5/10

Backup Position Rating: 4.5/10

Overall Position Rating: 5/10

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Our fourth end, Daryl Mason, will also be on the field this year. He is a true freshman, and he is very undersized, but I hear he is a very good playmaker and the coaches love him.

Very undersized is right--209 lbs., according to the updated roster. That's on the small side for an outside LB. Surely he would have to be a redshirt candidate?

But I don't consider Bellazin undersized at 255--that's right there with the DEs on Texas' roster. Only one is bigger, Alex Okafor at 260.

I'm not sure what your criteria for undersized is. Most defensive ends being recruited are less than 250 lbs on the weakside and 10-20 lbs heavier on the strongside.

In my opinion, Akpunku should start because he is strong, extremely quick, and experienced. His weight is OK but ideally he needs to be a couple of inches taller. I would not be surprised if Bellazin starts on the other side. He's up to 255, slightly larger than Obi, and has a ton of potential.

As of now, it's hard to know whether McCoy will be an end or a tackle. He has had to play tackle because of the lack of development of DTs. Another in the same boat is Ryan Boutwell. I think that his natural position is at strongside DE but he too, has been relegated to playing tackle. If the tackle candidates (Cantly, Abbe, Brooks and Thompson) can develop to the point that Sarge and Boutwell can move back to their strengths then I think that we'll be a much better defense.

Mason was a late developer, is undersized, and needs a redshirt year to grow into a FBS defensive end.