Team Captains Named

Hopeful

"With 2-a-days just about officially over, Head Coach Dan McCarney has selected the football captains for this season. Two on offense, two on defense, and the special teams captain will be selected each week based upon performance and leadership (code for they have to earn it).

The captains on offense are QB Derek Thompson and his right hand man so to speak, center J.J. Johnson. On defense the captains are sophomore linebacker Zachary Orr and cornerback Royce Hill.

Interesting picks to say the least, Thompson is a quiet leader as is Hill. Orr is starting to become more vocal, just by his position he has to, and demonstrative in being a leader of the defense.

Special teams, well I'm just glad it's an emphasis again.

Each captain has the responsibility for communicating between the players and the coaching staff through the season."

"With 2-a-days just about officially over, Head Coach Dan McCarney has selected the football captains for this season. Two on offense, two on defense, and the special teams captain will be selected each week based upon performance and leadership (code for they have to earn it).

The captains on offense are QB Derek Thompson and his right hand man so to speak, center J.J. Johnson. On defense the captains are sophomore linebacker Zachary Orr and cornerback Royce Hill.

Interesting picks to say the least, Thompson is a quiet leader as is Hill. Orr is starting to become more vocal, just by his position he has to, and demonstrative in being a leader of the defense.

Special teams, well I'm just glad it's an emphasis again.

Each captain has the responsibility for communicating between the players and the coaching staff through the season."

Awesome. I think that speaks volumes about Mr. Orr, a true sophomore being selected as captain.

Just because your the best player does not mean you are the best leader. However, by no means am I saying that Dunbar is not a good leader. I do not know if he is one, the coaching staff must have seen more leadership abilities in Thompson and JJ.

I think this role for Orr will propel him to becoming one of our best players, great motivation for a young player.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How can you name two offensive players team captains, and neither be Lance Dunbar? I'm not saying the others are not deserving, but with what Lance has done at North Texas, I think he is too.

Just saying...

Just because you're a great player doesnt mean you're a captain. Captains are usually the players who take a vocal leadership role on the team. Doesn't mean Lance is any less of a player

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One of my coaches once told he chose captains not because they are the most vocal or best leader. He said naming a person captain often helps them develop as a player, person, and obtaining their true potential on and off the field. Maybe coach mac sees their potential to develop into leaders on and off the field for many years.

Good choices as am sure all will handle their responsibilities quite well. I think there are several other leaders developing on this team, so I am expecting the leadership from the players to be outstanding this season.

I do hope the players had a say in the guys selected as captains. To me that makes the selection all the more legit from the team's perspective.

My son's college soccer coach let the players select one and he and the coaches selected another. Interesting, but worked well for my son's team. I wonder if something like that would work for a football squad as well...maybe it is more common that I expect.

• Upvote 1