Even more Realignment Talk

shaft

A&M to the SEC looks like its going to happen. Now the rumors have gone from Florida State as SEC #13 to Clemson as SEC #15 and Mizzou as SEC #16. This lets the SEC move from a conference to an association.

The question then becomes not who does the Big 12(minus 4) and the ACC(minus 2)raid for replacements, but does any other conference like the Big Ten make the jump to 16 and create a bigger mess.

Which leads to the real question of how do you think the dominoes fall fall for UNT and the Sun Belt?

A&M to the SEC looks like its going to happen. Now the rumors have gone from Florida State as SEC #13 to Clemson as SEC #15 and Mizzou as SEC #16. This lets the SEC move from a conference to an association.

The question then becomes not who does the Big 12(minus 4) and the ACC(minus 2)raid for replacements, but does any other conference like the Big Ten make the jump to 16 and create a bigger mess.

Which leads to the real question of how do you think the dominoes fall fall for UNT and the Sun Belt?

We probably either get the shaft by ending up with some kind of conglomeration of SBC and WAC teams, or preferably, we end up grouped with some conglomeration of USA and SBC teams. On the other hand, who the Hell knows.

Pac 16, SEC 16, Big 16, ACC 16. Big East 16. That's 80 teams. Or, they could have 5, 14 team conferences for 70 teams. Remember when the D1A designation was formed? That consisted of maybe 90 teams if I remember correctly.

The beginning of the Super Conferences/Associations and the end of amateur college football as we know it.

Pac 16, SEC 16, Big 16, ACC 16. Big East 16. That's 80 teams. Or, they could have 5, 14 team conferences for 70 teams. Remember when the D1A designation was formed? That consisted of maybe 90 teams if I remember correctly.

The beginning of the Super Conferences/Associations and the end of amateur college football as we know it.

It will be 1-A and 1-AA all over again, just renamed.

They can align however they want but it's going to be very difficult to kick anyone out unless they set standards that they cannot meet. Personally, I believe that most of the current teams will likely remain. They're setting themselves up for anti-trust violations if they arbitrarily exclude a current member without cause.

I do think that you may be right about the influx of 16 team conferences. In many ways it makes sense. The conferences have more to offer and if there are only, say 8 leagues for TV networks to deal with there might be better packages that could be offered. Let each conference decide how the proceeds will be allotted.

The fairest way to me would be to set a budget of $20M, average attendance of 20K and a stadium of 30K. Except for the budget and raising the attendance 3,000 that's pretty much the original standard. Require an annual report (they're already doing that on their budget) that is to be certified correct and there's no need for close scrutiny. The major conferences are already in compliance; it's the lesser conferences that may need to be tweaked. I still believe that all should be 16-team conferences where possible.

Edited by GrayEagle