2012 Hs - Brandon Pye - 6'1" Sg (A&M-Corpus Christi)

Basketball season covers both Fall & Spring semesters, so I believe it's just a football thing. I believe the NCAA clock begins when a student enrolls, not joins the team. But I'm not sure. Look at TMitch, he's listed as a freshman.

Is there such thing as a grey shirt in Basketball ? Or is that just football ?

JJ has made a habit of late of "recruiting" walk-ons. Hall, Matlock, Horne, Montague...these were guys, I'd contend, who could've found scholarships at some very low-tier D-1 schools. I'm wondering if Pye isn't one of these...one who perhaps mis-understood or mis-sold his UNT "offer."

JJ has made a habit of late of "recruiting" walk-ons. Hall, Matlock, Horne, Montague...these were guys, I'd contend, who could've found scholarships at some very low-tier D-1 schools. I'm wondering if Pye isn't one of these...one who perhaps mis-understood or mis-sold his UNT "offer."

Not the case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

34 points.

Dallas news still mentions him as a North Texas Commit. Banyard was a beast in this game too.

DMN

I got a pretty good feeling that you will see him in a Mean Green uniform next year.

So, tell us about his game. Pure shooter, or can he create his own shot? Tweener guard that JJ loves so much? Inquiring minds need to know.

I got a pretty good feeling that you will see him in a Mean Green uniform next year.

So, tell us about his game. Pure shooter, or can he create his own shot? Tweener guard that JJ loves so much? Inquiring minds need to know.

Couldn't miss to start the game when he was unguarded and his team found him. Hit a couple 3's with 2 guys draped on him. Took his man to the hole a couple times picking up a defender and still made the shot when he wasn't fouled. He can create his own shot, and he did it against a team in Marcus that is known for it's defense. Doesn't hesitate on the spot up shots off of screens and can also create his own shot when he has to.

Will do nicely at the 2 and a pretty good handler as well. Had a couple of assists, but lots of guys passed on open looks. Hard to call him selfish when his team isn't taking the open looks. Could play him at the 1 if we had to.

He's a little on the skinny side, but is pretty fluid.

Don't know about the JJ love. Can't read your sarcasm, if there is any.

Edited by MeanMag

Couldn't miss to start the game. Hit a couple 3's with 2 guys draped on him. Took his man to the hole a couple times picking up a defender and still made the shot when he wasn't fouled. He can create his own shot, and he did it against a team in Marcus that is known for it's defense.

Will do nicely at the 2 and a pretty good handler as well. Had a couple of assists, but lots of guys passed on open looks. Hard to call him selfish when his team isn't taking the open looks.

He's a little on the skinny side, but is pretty fluid.

Don't know about the JJ love. Can't read your sarcasm, if there is any.

No sarcasm, it just seems that JJ signs a lot of combo guards for whatever reason. Good to know that Brandon went for 34 and could create his own shot against the #1 team in the country. Sounds like he may play big in big games.

I think you see him at UNT next year, but possibly take a redshirt to add some bulk.

We will need a guard if he doesn't return & will have a spot available. Ideally have Pye sit out a year , but redshirting and JJ aren't usually in the same sentence

My bad. Thought you were talking about him coming to UNT.

And be is a shooter, something this team is a little short on.

I didn't know there was even a hint of concern that CJ would return? I must be in the dark.

Anytime a kid fails to make grades in his 1st semester in college, there is always a better than even chance that that player never gets his crap together.

We will find out next fall.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. A very good chance that he goes somewhere else. Late season preformance opened some doors.

Can't blame the guy.

He can love UNT, want to play here badly, and JJ could offer him everything to come here...other than a scholarship... and if he holds a scholarship offer from anywhere else, he should take it.

Best of luck to Mr. Pye in the future, whether it's in Green or otherwise.

I knew it'd be tough to keep him, but I was real interested in seeing him here. I know he will do well.

He'd have to wait it out a year here to get a scholly.

I'm just glad it wasn't ARK ST. I'd hate for that to come back and bite us in the @ss. I think he will do very well at CC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

It will be interesting to watch and see who develops into the better collegiate player, Pye or Overlander. Forever linked by the recruitment game.

Pye is averaging 9.5 ppg as a junior for a decent TA&MCC team. Shooting .415 from 3 range.

Looks like this was a JJ recruiting miss, as this kid was dying to play for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 2