A couple of Notes from the UNT Naming Right Press Conference

Harry

Vito mentioned Apogee won't have as much signage around as they don't sell to consumers, but I'm sure they will have something on the Stadium exterior, correct? Do they have a company logo?

RV also mentioned more money available now in the athletic budget. I'd like to nominate Baseball as a needed sport! :)

Vito mentioned Apogee won't have as much signage around as they don't sell to consumers, but I'm sure they will have something on the Stadium exterior, correct? Do they have a company logo?

RV also mentioned more money available now in the athletic budget. I'd like to nominate Baseball as a needed sport! :)

I'm no accountant or anything, but that sounds like the same sort of thinking that got the U.S. (as well as millions of Americans) in trouble. We have an $80mil stadium to pay off, and we now have capital to go toward it, but instead we earmark some of that money for other things?

Of course, I trust the UNT accounting program, so hopefully we get a few of those guys to break this down and not get us in financial trouble. If we do indeed have a little extra money, I would also LOVE to see Mean Green Baseball!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm no accountant or anything, but that sounds like the same sort of thinking that got the U.S. (as well as millions of Americans) in trouble. We have an $80mil stadium to pay off, and we now have capital to go toward it, but instead we earmark some of that money for other things?

Of course, I trust the UNT accounting program, so hopefully we get a few of those guys to break this down and not get us in financial trouble. If we do indeed have a little extra money, I would also LOVE to see Mean Green Baseball!

I firmly believe we would be starting a baseball program with or without this deal with Apogee going through. RV has said time and again that once the stadium was in place, the next target would be baseball. I am sure RV and the gang will be doing additional fundraising (and hopefully taking Mr. Goldberg out to dinner someplace really, really nice), but this should help the A.D. feel in a more secure position going forward with baseball.

I firmly believe we would be starting a baseball program with or without this deal with Apogee going through. RV has said time and again that once the stadium was in place, the next target would be baseball. I am sure RV and the gang will be doing additional fundraising (and hopefully taking Mr. Goldberg out to dinner someplace really, really nice), but this should help the A.D. feel in a more secure position going forward with baseball.

Would we need to open a new girl's sport when we start baseball?

Baseball needs to be added to take advantage of the conference's best asset. The Sunbelt may not bring much respect in football but it is a very well respected league in baseball. It would also bring more fan$ to Denton and the campus in the normally dormant late spring.

We have the student fee, which is planned to cover the $80M stadium obligation. (Right now) it can't be used for any other purposes.

We have Apogee Money that can be used at the AD's discretion.

Also, I suspect that as of today we only have $1M from Apogee. I doubt that wrote the full check today. Probably just paid for year 1.

We have the student fee, which is planned to cover the $80M stadium obligation. (Right now) it can't be used for any other purposes.

That's not correct. The student fee can only be used to cover half the stadium cost. And it can be used for other purposes. Although its duration was inexplicably tied to the duration of the stadium obligation, it is a dedicated athletics fee, not a stadium fee.

I have been known to be wrong but if I am not mistaken NCAA baseball programs only have 14 scholarships. I have no idea where UNT would stand between male and female scorts.

The way I understand it baseball would "cost us" 9.something scholarships. (Not sure why it is fractional)

Also, adding baseball will not cause any Title IV issues. Meaning we can add baseball and not have to add any women's sport.

Finally - It is also my understanding that the next two things on the table for the athletic department are:

1A - Baseball

1B - Indoor football practice facility.

And that you'll probably see those two things happen at roughly the same time. (With the time being in the very, very near future.)

• Upvote 4

The way I understand it baseball would "cost us" 9.something scholarships. (Not sure why it is fractional)

Also, adding baseball will not cause any Title IV issues. Meaning we can add baseball and not have to add any women's sport.

Finally - It is also my understanding that the next two things on the table for the athletic department are:

1A - Baseball

And that you'll probably see those two things happen at roughly the same time. (With the time being in the very, very near future.)

I have been needing to ask about that because it not only would help out football but also be available to other sports when not being used by the football team.

• Upvote 1

No offense to those of you who like baseball, but unless adding baseball somehow definitely helps us move up the food chain, I'd prefer we spend the money on the sports we have now.

If anything, it will dig us out of the 3rd place rut we're in as far as the SBC "Bubba's Cup" goes. Currently, we get 0 points for the baseball category.

• Upvote 1

1A - Baseball

I hope all the attention being given the football stadium because of its quality has changed their minds on the quality of the baseball park. I'd like to see HKS design their first ever college ballpark. They've done Rangers Ballpark, Miller Park, Dodger Stadium, US Cellular, and Whataburger Field so far.

Interesting when I was looking at their website (HKS), they list TCU's stadium and SMU's basketball center but not us. I wonder if they were just waiting for the naming rights to be announced.

I think HKS did TCU's baseball stadium

If that's true, then I'd prefer they didn't. Lupton has some good qualities, but if you find yourself in certain parts of it, you can't see the field at all. I don't mean slightly obstructed. I mean you paid for a ticket, and you seriously can't see the field. You can hear it, but not see it. Would not build again.

We have something like NINE threads about the stadium. Some are bound to go in a different direction lol

Yup, and here's my direction. I hope we use a small fraction of the money to acquire an artillery and munition storage facility so that Boomer won't have to be hauled back and forth to Fouts and piled into a cramped golf cart shed any more?

Rick

• Downvote 1