My UNT FB Preview by Position: RB

cl_1_2008

We've been very blessed here at UNT at the running back position this past decade. Patrick Cobbs. JaMario Thomas. Both led the nation in rushing. Who would have thought that we'd have another one come along who is, in my opinion, more talented than both of those guys, and that is high praise. Lance Dunbar can do it all. Last year, he got 29 or more carries 4 times. Our record in those games? 3-1. Coincidence? I think not. If we can consistently get the ball in his hands, we are in very good shape. He's a top ten running back in the country by all measures, and that is a luxury that I'm sure helps Coach Canales sleep easy. This time next year, he'll be in training camp. Our second string running back is James Hamilton, who could start at a lot of other schools. He's a small scatback who can make plays out of the backfield. He's a great pass-catcher with great speed. I could also see him splitting out and running few plays from the receiver position. I'm okay with that. The more talent on the field, the better. Third string is Brandin Byrd. He's not particularly big, but he serves as our power back. He's a good running back that will be used primarily in short yardage situations. As for our freshmen, we have two kids coming in; Zac Whitfield and Antoinne Jimmerson. Whitfield is the guy that I presume will take over for Dunbar next year. Jimmerson is very talented as well and I expect him to make lots of plays in the future. I think there is a chance that Whitfield will see snaps this season, but I expect Jimmerson to redshirt. The other guys on the roster will only play special teams, so I'm not going to discuss them.

Starter: Lance Dunbar

2: James Hamilton

3: Brandin Byrd

Overall Confidence Rating: 10/10

Starter Confidence Rating: 15/10(yeah, I said it)

Backup Confidence Rating: 9/10

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 3

We've been very blessed here at UNT at the running back position this past decade. Patrick Cobbs. JaMario Thomas.

Let's not forget their immediate predecessors, Galbreath, James Hamilton and JaQuay Wilburn. That's just when I went to school; I'm not sure how far back this "streak" of good RBs goes.

Edited by greenminer

Let's not forget their immediate predecessors, Galbreath, James Hamilton and JaQuay Wilburn. That's just when I went to school; I'm not sure how far back this "streak" of good RBs goes.

Yup, and Galbreath was the 2002 New Orleans Bowl MVP.

We have been blessed at RB for sure.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Would like to see us have one big option to go to in short yardage situations. Also would like to see the fullback position return.

This offense uses a U-Back (Daniel Prior) who crushes people like a fullback.

• Upvote 1

This offense uses a U-Back (Daniel Prior) who crushes people like a fullback.

Yes and he's now up to 240. I think Drew Miller and Greg Brown are also U-backs but not sure.

And for short yardage, Brandin Byrd is up to over 210 lbs, plus let's not forget we have an outstanding blocking TE in 6'5" 260 Andrew Power.