Green Gang: Camp Opens Roster Updates

MeanGreen61

Pretty good. A few notable changes in the weight class to talk about. The big winner this off-season was Richard Abbe. Known as "Big Country" Abbe lost about half of the population. Abbe went from 357 to a limber 319.

He's still big, but in much, much better proportion. Tevinn Cantly also comes into the fall camp much lighter, dropping from 336 to 311. Abbe and Cantly both look a million times better this fall than 12 months ago.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=205239124

• Upvote 1

Guys, this is a good sign. If, in the span of about half a year, this staff can get those type of results, this thing may take off this year. These guys will be more mobile now.

I know it's supposed to be the weakness of the defense, but I really and looking forward to seeing how these DTs work with McCarney. It's supposed to be his area of expertise.

Remember when Bob Stoops took over at OU. His area of expertise was the secondary. That OU national title team in 2000 had freshmen starting at corners and a sophomore at safety.

I've already argued that coaching, coaching, coaching makes a difference. So, I expect that McCarney will be able to take Abbe, Cantly and the two big freshmen Micah Thompson and Terrell Brooks, and really get the middle nailed down.

Throw in junior Kyle White as well. These fall practices really are a chance for him to step up and show what he's got.

Think of this, guys - with Abbe, Cantly, White, and Thompson, our front has four 300 pounders to rotate in and out. Brooks checks in at 293. We now have the beef we've needed up front...now, for the coaching. Time for McCarney and Bowen to polish it.

• Upvote 3

Guys, this is a good sign. If, in the span of about half a year, this staff can get those type of results, this thing may take off this year. These guys will be more mobile now.

Ecstatic here, as well. This is EXACTLY what needed to happen this off season, and it appears that progress has been made.

I've already argued that coaching, coaching, coaching makes a difference. So, I expect that McCarney will be able to take Abbe, Cantly and the two big freshmen Micah Thompson and Terrell Brooks, and really get the middle nailed down.

I don't think anyone's ever disagreed with you that coaching is important. You have to have the players in the size, shape, and depth to coach. It appears that has been provided to an extent.

OPTIMISTIC!

Some notable observations on size...

OFFENSE

James Hamilton up to 197

Chase Baine down to 205 as a WR

Derek Teegarden up to 188

Brandin Byrd up to 211

Antoine Jimmerson 207 as a true Freshman

Mason Y'Barbo up to 311

Cyril Lemon 6'4" 313 as a true Freshman

LaChris Anyiam up to 305

Grant Shaw 6'5" 287 as a true Freshman

Coleman Feeley up to 305

Michael Outlaw up to 191

Jamize Olawale up to 231 as a WR

Drew Miller up to 253 as a TE/FB

Daniel Prior up to 240 as a FB

DEFENSE

DeWaylon Cook up to 212

Will Wright up to 217

D'Leon McCord up to 188

Royce Hill up to 187

Ryan Downing up to 209

Steven Ford up to 187

Zach Orr down to 231

Knockus Sashington up to 209 as a LB

Aaron Bellazin up to 255

KC Obi up to 249

Frank Gaines up to 255

Derek Akunne 250 as a true Freshman

Blake Dunham up to 215

Micah Thompson 307 as a true Freshman

Tevinn Cantly down to 311

Richard Abbe down to 319

Terrell Brooks 320 as a true Freshman

So our defensive line will certainly be much bigger (no surprise here) and our DT's are very large as a group. DB's made great improvements and should be better tackling against the run. We may have the thickest kicker in the nation as well. Our LB's are extremely light, but there should be some speed. Orr and Akunne are good sized and that's it. Look for big things out of Will Wright as he's almost 15 lbs larger

Edited by UNT Mean Green

I really hope we are able to redshirt some of these youngsters, especially Brooks and Thompson.

If Brooks and Thompson are among the four best defensive tackles then they should play. They can't gain experience by redshirting and they seem to be pretty solid in size so there's no need to sit while gaining weight, speed and strength. They are needed now; we're already thin at that position.

speaking of being thin at DT.....

58 Lander, Michael DT 5-11 280 Jr. Blue Ridge, TX (Blue Ridge HS)

Does anyone know this young man's story?

This kid is a beast:

http://www.pixtus.com/forum/sports/95471-texas-state-powerlifting-championship-mar-28th.html

(Scroll down through the link for several pics of Micheal)

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 1

Mike Ladner. Here's game flim of him. Returning a kickoff? Yes. Playing fullback - blowing a guy up pretty good at 1:18 on a block. I'd say 70% of the film is him playing fullback, the final 30% is him on defense.

On the defensive side of the ball, you notice that once a guy runs into him, he stops. Of course at 5-11, 280, he's a fireplug in the mold of Booger Kennedy and Baltimore's Kelly Gregg.

He looks real athletic. Maybe he was overlooked because his film emphasized him of offense too much, and there are too many teams using fullbacks for option anymore. Either way, he looks pretty dadgum athletic. If this is the quality of walk on we'll be getting again, the future will be good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkTHX56g2Ew

• Upvote 1

This kid is a beast:

http://www.pixtus.com/forum/sports/95471-texas-state-powerlifting-championship-mar-28th.html

(Scroll down through the link for several pics of Micheal)

Good find. Wow. So what has he been doing the past couple of years? His eligibility shows him as a junior--was he playing at a JUCO?

Mike Ladner. Here's game flim of him. Returning a kickoff? Yes. Playing fullback - blowing a guy up pretty good at 1:18 on a block. I'd say 70% of the film is him playing fullback, the final 30% is him on defense.

On the defensive side of the ball, you notice that once a guy runs into him, he stops. Of course at 5-11, 280, he's a fireplug in the mold of Booger Kennedy and Baltimore's Kelly Gregg.

He looks real athletic. Maybe he was overlooked because his film emphasized him of offense too much, and there are too many teams using fullbacks for option anymore. Either way, he looks pretty dadgum athletic. If this is the quality of walk on we'll be getting again, the future will be good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkTHX56g2Ew

The measurables of our walk on's are night and day from where they were; and i expect a few to land scholarships or secure some playing time.

Well, this has turned into a very interesting story. However, like MG93-98 I would like to know what he's been doing since he graduated from HS in 09. Has he been at NT attending classes and lifting weights? I hope he's been at some JUCO playing. Because not hitting (or getting hit) for two years is not ideal for a player. Especially a player from such a small program.

Having said all that, I know that only preferred walk-ons get invited to fall camp and are assigned a number. And I also know that McCarney (and company) would not invite someone to fall camp who has only been lifting weights for the last two years.

Looks like I have inadvertently turned up a very interesting story to try and follow for the fall camp. Because as everyone who knows me well will tell you........ I absolutely love the underdog. Otherwise, I wouldn't be a true North Texas fan... B)

So far my underdog-to-watch list is.....

#10 John Dodson QB.

#30 Weston Squier RB

#37 Jeremy Brown, RB

#58 Michael Lander DT/NT(?)