Reasons for Optimism

Since Don Vito is always giving us reasons why we won't be any better this year, how about a list of the reasons why we might be.

Here's a first one I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Even though we have an all-new coaching staff, both our offensive and defensive coordinators were coaching in the Sun Belt last year. They've already scouted the teams in the Belt and know what they need to do to be successful. Plus both improved their teams unit from the previous year.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

The last five games last year for this no-talent team was like watching an entirely different program. The kids clearly want to win and just need some direction to get over that hump. Better game plans, actual college schemes, and much, much better snap decision making will get those 2-4 points that the program has been missing.

• Upvote 1

If you think A to B, B to C, etc...

Last year we were decimated by the injury bug. We had below average coaching. We played in Fouts Field. We fire Todd and have Canales as the interim and everything looks like a new ballclub. Pull off 2 wins on the road and take Troy and Kansas State to the wire with a "Mash" unit for a roster.

Okay, fast forward to this season:

Starting out, everyone is healthy. We have the best coaching staff and most experieced by far in the league. Canales is hear as Offensive Coordinator now to provide continuity. We have a proven Defensive Coordinator, and a head coach who places an emphasis on defense. We have a Special Teams coach from Boise State and Colorado. We have an incredible new facility. Now, the schedule is very difficult out of the gate, but I think with all of these above factors into play that 4 of the first 5 games are winnable (at least we have a chance to compete with this staff) and then I believe as we saw in the last 5 games last year that we could have some wonderful success in conference play and end up with a solid record to end the 2011 campaign.

• Upvote 1

Well, if you're superstitious, here's a couple:

1) F'ing GREEN helmets!

2) The new "lucky" Eagle statue

Legit reasons for optimism: we'll actually be tackling in practice. That HAS to lead to improvement considering that while Dodge was HC, we were consistently one of the worst tackling teams in football. The spring game, alone, showed vast improvement in that department over just last year. We were more physical in the spring game than in any single game all of the last 4 years. We will continue to get better leading into the season.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

I like this thread. Great to see the optimism. I, too, think UNT and the Mean Green faithful have plenty of legitimate reasons to be optimistic going into the 2011 season. Tackling should be much improved, the players will be better conditioned to help "close out" games in the 4th quarter, the entire coaching staff is experienced and has bowl and championship rings to prove it, the team was "killed" by injuries last season and the players seem to have a real "want to" attitude this year. Just think back to the way the team played the last four games last season...the potential is definitely there.

Optimistic? Absolutely.

GO MEAN GREEN & WHY NOT NORTH TEXAS INDEED!

Reason for optimism?? Moral victories will no longer be accepted and losing by 4 points will no longer deserve a pat on the back.

Dmac is serious about winning. Cutting someone like Darius I think proves that. He's not going to coddle you and bring you along if your actions are hurting the team's vision. You're either in or you're out and the MG train isn't stopping for losers.

Jump on board. Next stop, Bourbon.

Yeah. That comment got my attention also....LOL

I thought that beer could only be obtained in the club level. I doubt that I would have missed such huge news as "Beer to be sold throughout stadium".

It was so great being able to buy one at the cookout right from the concession stand. I really hope they consider making cans/aluminum bottles available to us pleebs during the games.

As the season draws closer, I'm much more optimistic. McCarney himself has tried to temper expectations in his interviews. He talked about our smallish size and how we needed some time to learn some things. All understandable. Fact is that Mediocre is an improvement over the Dodge teams.

Hindsight tells us Dodge should have been OC and we should have hired a coach that knew how to run a FBS school. Now we have that and are in a similar starting spot. There is no lingering stench of loserdom hanging around.

Four wins.

Because everyone expects us to rush rush rush and when DT is passing he is a threat. Not to mention we have two Running Backs (at least) that are threats in both LD and Hambone. Has anyone forgotten what Lance can do with passing as well? The bottom line is that our biggest Strength is also our biggest Weakness....... Both we as fans and also our opponents have ZERO idea what to expect. That is why FIU is a winnable game. Lest we forget that FIU played against Chase Baine last year and an ill-used LD. That won't be the case this year. Canales has seen LD in action and knows exactly how to play him against other team's defenses.

Will they sell beer at the concession stands or was this just for the cookout?

Just for the Cookout. But beer will flow at the Alumni Pavillion.

As the season draws closer, I'm much more optimistic. McCarney himself has tried to temper expectations in his interviews. He talked about our smallish size and how we needed some time to learn some things. All understandable. Fact is that Mediocre is an improvement over the Dodge teams.

Hindsight tells us Dodge should have been OC and we should have hired a coach that knew how to run a FBS school. Now we have that and are in a similar starting spot. There is no lingering stench of loserdom hanging around.

Four wins.

Nope. He shoulda been where is at now, QB coach. No higher. Vaslty underexperienced for the job.

Yes, my other name is Brett Vito.

I go with the six wins also. I'm afraid that we only win one of the first five but five of the last seven.

The focus, the enthusiasm, the strength and conditioning and the coaching staff (no major injuries?) are the real pluses as I see it.

Yep, I'm thinking 1 non-conference game (probably Indiana) and 5 conference games, including a shocker over conference favorite FIU on 09/01 (which is less than 1 month away!!!!)

Edited by UNT90