UNT 2011 Hall of Fame Announced

BIG DAWG

No Booger Kennedy???

I was also hoping to see Hall get a nod...but understand there is debate...a stupid debate in my book, but Kennedy...where is the debate there??? Should be in there w/out a doubt!

Quinn is also a no doubter, and could not be happier to see him in there!

• Upvote 4

No Booger Kennedy???

I was also hoping to see Hall get a nod...but understand there is debate...a stupid debate in my book, but Kennedy...where is the debate there??? Should be in there w/out a doubt!

Quinn is also a no doubter, and could not be happier to see him in there!

Agreed. Booger should be in the HOF. Someone needs to answer for this.

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 08/01/2011

Courtesy: University of North Texas

http://www.meangreensports.com/

DENTON, Texas- The University of North Texas has announced its 2011 Athletic Hall of Fame class, headlined by all-time leading receiver Johnny Quinn.

Quinn (football), Melinda Pina (women's soccer), Bobby Way (football), and Bill Walters (track) make up the class of 2011 and give the North Texas Athletic Hall of Fame a total of 166 members.

The school's 29th all-time class will be inducted as part of the Mean Green's annual Homecoming weekend on Oct. 22.

Quinn is the all-time leading receiver in North Texas history with 2,718 yards. He was a three-time all-conference selection from 2004-06 and a first-team all-conference pick in 2006. Quinn is second in school history with 3,835 all-purpose yards for his career.

This post has been promoted to an article

I am still waiting for Walter Chapman to be recognized, arguable the best player of the Fry era. Had much better stats than Booger, but seems destined to be the forgotten man. Not saying he was better than Kennedy but I would put him as one of best defensive linemen ever at NT. Greene is in a class all his own, but in my years of following the team I would rate Chapman, Hardman, and Kennedy the next three.

Excuse my annual rant. I just do not understand how he is never included, there is no question he was much better than many of the honorees.

• Upvote 3

I am still waiting for Walter Chapman to be recognized, arguable the best player of the Fry era. Had much better stats than Booger, but seems destined to be the forgotten man. Not saying he was better than Kennedy but I would put him as one of best defensive linemen ever at NT. Greene is in a class all his own, but in my years of following the team I would rate Chapman, Hardman, and Kennedy the next three.

Excuse my annual rant. I just do not understand how he is never included, there is no question he was much better than many of the honorees.

*From the 11-05-1973 Sports Illustrated "Scorecard" section.

Football coaches place a lot of faith, or at least interest, in polls (We're No. 1, and so forth), and head Coach T. W. Alley of the University of Louisville was therefore a bit miffed earlier this season when his star senior defensive back, Lonnie Schuler, was beaten out for Defensive Player of the Week in the Missouri Valley Conference by an unknown from North Texas State named Walter Chapman.

"Who's Chapman?" Alley asked.

"A freshman. Defensive tackle. Five feet, 10 inches. Weighs 244."

"A freshman?" Alley said with some irritation. "What did he do?"

"Well, he had 22 tackles and knocked down a pass."

There was a moment of silence. Then Alley said, "Where can I go vote for him?"

*From the "Wings" Yearbook of 1977.

http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61044/m1/10/

• Upvote 2

Well, really folks, BOTH Walter Chapman and "Booger" Kennedy deserve to be in UNT's Athletic hall of Fame. If UNT forgets Chapman, it would definitely be a big mistake.

But, as with everyone else here...congrats to Johnny Quinn. No debate about his worthiness...he belongs to be in the Hall with the UNT greats.

Congrats Johnny.

I'll be disappointed if JQ does not come out to accept his induction at Mean Green Stadium this fall pushing a bobsled at breakneck speed. Supposedly, the turf at the new stadium is so awesome, JQ should be able to set a non-ice bobsled speed record.

Way to go Johnny! You deserve it!

*Edit* - And yes, my avatar says it all... No O-line could deny him, and neither can this Athletic Dept. Put Booger in the HOF!

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Downvote 1

I had the same question as many of you did about Booger, so wrote Eric Capper to find out what the criteria for the HOF is.

Here is my email and the response.

Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:53 PM

To: Capper, Eric; Bartolotta, Steven; Howard, Stephen

Subject: Criteria for Hall of Fame

Gentleman,

Just wondering what are the criteria for the NT HOF. I have no problem with the people selected, just wondering what Brandon "Booger" Kennedy has to do to get recognized by the Athletic Department of his alma mater. He was the anchor of the defense for North Texas' first three Sun Belt titles from 2001-03, and set the North Texas record with 61 tackles-for-loss in his career. He was the most dominant defensive player in the Sun Belt Conference for those years and gave fans someone to be proud of.

Again, I have no problem with the people selected. Just wondering why Brandon Kennedy was not selected.

Brett Tulloss

Pick "Booger" for the 2012 NT Hall of Fame

Brett,

The hall of fame committee accepts nominations for inductees from anyone and they go through the process of gathering all relevant information for the potential candidates. I am not on the committee, but I can tell you that Brandon Kennedy has been discussed at length in those meetings and the committee is very well aware of his outstanding career. I can’t speak for anyone on the committee as to why he was not selected, but I’m sure that his name will continue to come up in those discussions.

As a point of reference, the committee is made up of a very diversified group of former letterwinners from various decades as well as former and current athletic department staff members.

Hope this helps.

Eric Capper

Senior Associate Athletics Director

University of North Texas

www.MeanGreenSports.com

• Upvote 1