Coach McCarney Interview with ESPN in Iowa

Great Interview and don't worry it is the first interview on the podcast

Interview

Also....he starts talking about Andrew McNulty on 8:15 and states that Andrew is about to play a game in Ames here very shortly. Also...I noticed that when he named the quarterbacks tonight on 21 he mentioned in order...

Thompson

Osborn

Jones

then Andrew McNulty who I thought was recruited for another position but I guess not.

Seriously....listen to this 20 minute interview.

Just listened to it - Quite enjoyable and refreshing! What the talk show hosts have to say about Dan McCarney is just as exciting as what McCarney himself has to say.

Continually reading/hearing the “experts” negativity about the history, and immediate future, of our program – including the vituperate writings of the local Denton scribe – can really be a downer; they really wear down this old fan/alumnus over a period of time.

Listening to this interview, or any interview, with Dan McCarney, absolutely creates excitement and renews my hope in the future of this Mean Green football program.

There is interesting speculation in the 20 minutes or so following the interview regarding McCarney’s future if he is successful at North Texas.

GMG

Just listened to it - Quite enjoyable and refreshing! What the talk show hosts have to say about Dan McCarney is just as exciting as what McCarney himself has to say.

Continually reading/hearing the “experts” negativity about the history, and immediate future, of our program – including the vituperate writings of the local Denton scribe – can really be a downer; they really wear down this old fan/alumnus over a period of time.

Listening to this interview, or any interview, with Dan McCarney, absolutely creates excitement and renews my hope in the future of this Mean Green football program.

There is interesting speculation in the 20 minutes or so following the interview regarding McCarney’s future if he is successful at North Texas.

GMG

True...for those that did not listen... Both commentators feel that he will be successful. One says within 2 years...the other within 5. Where I believe one commentator to be wrong is that DMac is using North Texas as a springboard to get out. He was stupid enough to say that once we turned things around he would bounce.....but where he was stupid was in that he thought maybe to a MAC school. I couldn't help but to chuckle. As much as we have been slamming the WAC and stating that we are a better conference than they....many have overlooked the MAC and the question as to whether the Sunbelt is now a stronger conference than the MAC.

I believe he (DMac) is here for the long haul and at his age would rather create a lasting legacy here rather than 3-5 yrs and go start anew. I am sure that once DMac had his program at Iowa St turned around that he had offers from other schools of more prestige but he did not take them (Any Iowa State fans here with that knowledge?). He seems to like "owning" a program from top to bottom and I don't see him as "the next big thing" type of guy.

Guys, our coordinators alone could have head coaching jobs soon. We're ridiculously lucky to have what we now have. We literally have three guys who are head coach worthy. To our opponents, we'll be like one of those three-headed hounds of hell, a cerberus. You'll all realize it once the season kicks off, or my name isn't Orville Redenbacher!

Guys, our coordinators alone could have head coaching jobs soon. We're ridiculously lucky to have what we now have. We literally have three guys who are head coach worthy. To our opponents, we'll be like one of those three-headed hounds of hell, a cerberus. You'll all realize it once the season kicks off, or my name isn't Orville Redenbacher!

then you have my vote for being the creepiest guy on the planet

Orville-Redenbacher.jpg

In all seriousness...I see what you are saying with the (at least) 3 staff members who could be DIV Head Coaches. Some will certainly move on after our turnaround is established....do not doubt that. My only point is that I don't honestly think DMac will be one of them though it is FAR too early to tell.

Canales and Bowen will eventually be hired to go elsewhere. McCarney...it'd be hard to see him get another gig like Iowa State, but you never know.

The upside for us is that if other schools do come after our head coach or assistants, it means something is going terribly right for us. So much so that whomever replaces them will likely be as much or nearly as able.