UNT hopes to overcome preseason expectations

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/stories/DRC_rankings_0719.3b9c42f6.html

UNT was picked to finish sixth in the nine-team conference that doesn’t exactly rank as one of the nation’s elite leagues.

McCarney doesn’t like seeing UNT check in among the bottom 20 teams in the country, but he understands the reasons why and is trying to turn the situation into a positive.

“Is that a reflection of what has been going on here the last six months? Absolutely not,” McCarney said. “But when you have won only eight of your last 48 games and don’t have a player who has experienced a winning college season or a bowl game, what do you expect, for people to do, pick us among the top 20 teams in America? You have to earn those things.”

Last Season's Stats:

RUSHING:

Dunbar: 274 attempts for 1553 (5.7 avg) yards and 13 TD's (TD per 21 touches)

Rainey: 340 attempts for 1649 yards (4.9 avg) and 15 TD's (TD per 23 touches)

RECEIVING:

Dunbar: 28 catches for 332 yards (11.9 avg) and 3 TD's (TD per 9 every catches)

Rainey: 29 catches for 230 yards (7.9 avg) and 0 TD's

Sorry, but I have to agree with Lance. With all due respect to Bernard Jackson, Malcolm Jones, JaQuay Wilburn, Eric Pegram Hut Alred, Kevin Galbreath, Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas, Lance is the best back I've ever watched in a Mean Green uniform.

• Upvote 2

Last Season's Stats:

RUSHING:

RECEIVING:

Sorry, but I have to agree with Lance. With all due respect to Bernard Jackson, Malcolm Jones, JaQuay Wilburn, Eric Pegram Hut Alred, Kevin Galbreath, Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas, Lance is the best back I've ever watched in a Mean Green uniform.

Dunbar definitely has better stats than Rainey. However, Dunbar's offensive line was probably significantly better. Based on the few times I have see Rainey, he is a good back but I don't think he is close to Dunbar.

As far as best back at NT, Jamario Thomas was as good in his freshman year as anyone I've ever seen at NT or elsewhere excluding Earl Campbell. His career never lived up to his first year. However, if Thomas had the success his last year instead of his first, he would have been remembered as being much better.

Last Season's Stats:

RUSHING:

RECEIVING:

Great breakdown; and I must say I agree with you wholeheartedly. Lance could play for anyone in the country.

Here's an idea for a helmet sticker... the number 109. It would serve as a constant reminder of the disrespect our program gets at the national level and would create a good us vs. the world mentality in the locker room, practice field and on game day.

I know the whole helmet sticker thing has been a good punching bag on here, but if they are going to be done, this might be the best way to go about it.

I agree that Jamario's freshman year was unbelievable, and I got to watch many of those games. I guess to clarify my statement, this would be over an entire career, not one season. Too bad Jamario had the hamstring issues, because he was unbelievable.