NCAA Drops hammer on Georgia Tech

UNTflyer

Georgia Tech was fined $100,000 by the NCAA, stripped of its 2009 ACC championship in football and placed on four years of probation on Thursday for failure to cooperate with its investigation into the football and men’s basketball programs.

Those weren’t the only penalties, which stemmed from what the NCAA described as an isolated instance of former standout wide receiver Demaryius Thomas allegedly receiving $312 in impermissible gifts, and grew to Morgan Burnett allegedly taking gifts and misleading NCAA investigators. Both have denied taking improper benefits.

In addition, more penalties were self-imposed and accepted by the NCAA:

• Public reprimand and censure. (Oh no!)
  • Four years of probation from July 14, 2011 through July 13, 2015. The public report further details the conditions of this probation. (Yeah, we'll dig into that)
  • A reduction of two men’s basketball recruiting days during the 2011 summer evaluation period (self-imposed by the university) [TWO WHOLE DAYS?! WOW!].
  • A limit of 10 official visits for men’s basketball for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 academic years. (Is that total, or per student?)
  • A vacation of all contests won by the football team during the 2009 season after November 24. (That would be one win... against Clemson)

• Upvote 1

Me thinks Long Jim is going to owe me a ten spot when/if sanctions against OSU are announced.

LOL! Maybe!

I'm scraping up spare change just in case. :lol:

EDIT: By the way, 90--I was thinking that the winner could just Paypal the $10 to GMG.com as a donation. What do you think? I'm sure Harry wouldn't mind the cash.

Edited by LongJim

$312....as in three hundred twelve dollars? I'm all for busting cheaters, but $312 = forfeit 3 games??

The rest of the allegations/findings are more serious, and I'm not really commenting on them. But good gosh....maybe just a smidge over the top, no?

Yeah, I kind of agree. The kid took stuff from a former QB. How does the AD/coaching staff monitor all that? The real issue for me is the AD breaking rules by talking to the kids about the NCAA wanting to interview them when he should have kept his mouth shut per NCAA rules.

I have a hard time believing Paul Johnson doesn't have his priorities straight and want to run a clean program. On the surface, I don't have a problem with the punishment.

LOL! Maybe!

I'm scraping up spare change just in case. :lol:

EDIT: By the way, 90--I was thinking that the winner could just Paypal the $10 to GMG.com as a donation. What do you think? I'm sure Harry wouldn't mind the cash.

That is a grand idea. I'm in.