What will tailgating be like this fall?

agw0038

Hey guys, havent been on the site in a while so I apologize up front if these questions were brought up a long time ago.

Is tailgating going to be better this year?

Is it still going to be in the Fouts parking lot?

Are they going to have some type of shuttle service to get students across I35 who don't have vehicles?

Hey guys, havent been on the site in a while so I apologize up front if these questions were brought up a long time ago.

Is tailgating going to be better this year?

Is it still going to be in the Fouts parking lot?

Are they going to have some type of shuttle service to get students across I35 who don't have vehicles?

Tailgating should be much better and will be centered on the green space surrounding the new stadium. That's right, on the grass, not the hot concrete. Some really great new features are the Alumni Pavillion, with big screen TVs and alcohol service (gotta be a UNT Alumni Association member to get in) and the stadium bathrooms accessible from outside the stadium hours before the game. This should be a big hit with the wife/girlfriend. No more porta potties!!!

BUT:

You need to get season tickets and a parking pass, otherwise you may find yourself parking at Fouts and having to take a shuttle bus to the new stadium across 35. Also, you will want to get there early, as traffic this year is the big unknown. I see lots of problems the 1st couple of games until all the wrinkles get ironed out.

EDIT: Just realized that you may be a student. I have no idea where the Greeks will be doing their tailgating. There are a couple on this board that I'm sure will chime in. I was told by the AD that they are considering having a system to where you can drop off your tailgating stuff at the old hotel parking lot and they will have AD personnel there to watch it while you park across at Fouts and take the shuttle back. Don't quite know how that will work out.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5

Tailgating should be much better and will be centered on the green space surrounding the new stadium. That's right, on the grass, not the hot concrete. Some really great new features are the Alumni Pavillion, with big screen TVs and alcohol service (gotta be a UNT Alumni Association member to get in) and the stadium bathrooms accessible from outside the stadium hours before the game. This should be a big hit with the wife/girlfriend. No more porta potties!!!

BUT:

You need to get season tickets and a parking pass, otherwise you may find yourself parking at Fouts and having to take a shuttle bus to the new stadium across 35. Also, you will want to get there early, as traffic this year is the big unknown. I see lots of problems the 1st couple of games until all the wrinkles get ironed out.

EDIT: Just realized that you may be a student. I have no idea where the Greeks will be doing their tailgating. There are a couple on this board that I'm sure will chime in. I was told by the AD that they are considering having a system to where you can drop off your tailgating stuff at the old hotel parking lot and they will have AD personnel there to watch it while you park across at Fouts and take the shuttle back. Don't quite know how that will work out.

When I ordered/picked my seats, they said that the "tailgating" situation would be made official around the middle of July. They implied to me that everyone would be tailgating at their parking space.

I don't think the Greeks have been told yet where they will be tailgating. My best guess would be they would be in the green lot at Fouts, and have to walk or shuttle across at Bonnie Brae.

I heard a while back that there will be shuttles from the Fouts Parking lot for students as well as people parking in that lot for games.

Also, during our seat selection, they made it sound like tailgating would be done at cars, but people would have the option to take their stuff to the grass if they wanted to.

For what it's worth, I was also told that the pedestrian walkway across I35 had been funded and approved, and that the project would begin right after this season and be done for 2012. That one seems a little hard to believe, but that would be awesome.

For what it's worth, I was also told that the pedestrian walkway across I35 had been funded and approved, and that the project would begin right after this season and be done for 2012. That one seems a little hard to believe, but that would be awesome.

That is hard to believe but would be terrific if it is true!

Seems to me like it's going to take a season to figure out. Seems a little odd to me to have the entirety of the tailgate scene divided by an interstate highway.

It wouldnt be totally unique if it was. It's done this way at Texas. All the RV parking and a lot of Foundation donors have to park accross I-35 from the stadium and tailgate at the baseball and softball stadium parking lots.

i hope the greeks have a spot at the new stadium. they bring out a lot of people to tailgating and it's a fun experience to walk through their area and see and hear all the rambunctiousness that goes on!

I have been told by multiple people in the AD that the grass will be used for tailgating (not to park your vehicle on, but to set up your tailgate on). It would be a huge disappointment if this is not the case. No reason to think it's not.

I would imagine that the Greeks would be given some of that green space to set up there tailgates the night before and their pledges will spend the night with the tailgate. I think the AD has every intention of getting those Greek rears' in the stadium for the game. Making them tailgate at Fouts would be counter productive to that end.

And no, splitting the tailgate scene is a TERRIBLE idea. We are not UT. We do not have 150K (at least) tailgating the game. Keep it all in one area, next to the new stadium. This is what I believe the AD is trying to do (at least from my conversations).

You guys are missing the most important issue. Where will the students who sit in the parking lot drinking all game long be set up?

I say we start thinking of ways to trick them now. We give them a special map that claims that tailgating is only allowed in "LOT B". Lot B will be located inside the student section of a certain new "stadium". GOOD NEWS, however, tailgating in this location is free.

• Upvote 1

You guys are missing the most important issue. Where will the students who sit in the parking lot drinking all game long be set up?

Ugh and the fraternity guys. Frat guys are the WORST.

But on a serious note...I'm so ready for tailgating, UNT football, cooking out, fall air, live music... I can almost hear/smell/taste/see/feel it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

No

Not more alcohol, but better. Save the keg beer and bottom shelf liquor for the frat boys. My gate has nothing but Top Shelf liquor and import beer. I'd be shocked if there's another bottle of Special Reserve amongst everyone tailgaiting.

Sept 10th. - Steak on a stick and Crown Special Reserve at the bus with the 36" TV watching college football on DirecTV outside, 27" inside, A/C inside, our own private potty, ice maker.....

To each their own, but there's nothing better than this for tailgaiting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not more alcohol, but better. Save the keg beer and bottom shelf liquor for the frat boys. My gate has nothing but Top Shelf liquor and import beer. I'd be shocked if there's another bottle of Special Reserve amongst everyone tailgaiting.

Sept 10th. - Steak on a stick and Crown Special Reserve at the bus with the 36" TV watching college football on DirecTV outside, 27" inside, A/C inside, our own private potty, ice maker.....

To each their own, but there's nothing better than this for tailgaiting.

Misunderstood. Thought you were saying Frats had better booze. We agree on this