Post Darius Carey Dismissal Thoughts

Harry

Here's whats left:

84 Brown, Greg WR 6-1 232 Sr. Grand Prairie, TX (Grand Prairie HS)

81 Bynes, Christopher WR 6-1 220 RJr. Lauderdale Lakes, FL (Coffeyville CC)

4 Carey, Darius WR 5-10 188 Jr. New Orleans, La (Helen Cox HS)

80 Chancellor, Brelan WR 5-9 168 So. Copperas Cove, TX (Copperas Cove HS)

17 Johnson, Breece WR 6-1 187 Sr. Colleyville, TX (Heritage HS)

23 Marshall, Mike WR 6-0 195 Fr. Grand Prairie, TX (South Grand Prairie HS)

27 Schutza, Casey WR 5-10 170 Jr. Euless, TX (Trinity HS)

14 Stradford, Tyler WR 6-2 185 Sr. New Orleans, LA (Oklahoma)

3 Taylor, Willie WR 5-10 181 Jr. Dallas, TX (Hillcrest HS)

That leaves us with 8 returning wide receivers. Of the 8, 5 were scholarship and 3 of the 6 (Brown, Marshall, Shutza) were originally walk-ons.

In the 2011 signing class we had one receiver (6-5 Chaz Sampson).

I'm thinking we may want to look to James Hamilton as a replacement for Darius. Another option would be some of the new guys we signed at other positions, including Antoine Jimmerson, Andrew McNulty, Zach Whitfield or Freddy Wariner.

Since we are post Dodge, being so low on wide receivers is not AS much an issue but certainly replacing a player of Carey's ability is no small order! I like Carey and will miss watching him but my support lies with Coach Mac and I believe he is only doing what is best for the program. Go Mean Green!

This post has been promoted to an article

Looking really thin at this point at WR..

Hopefully the addition of a pass catching TE and a heavy reliance on Dunbar will offset the lack of depth on the outside.

No doubt bro we were thin there before Carey left. Maybe we should move Olawale to WR? He seems a little light to be a tight end at 226.

Any idea how much we'll be working out of a 4-wide set this season? I don't recall how much we did during the spring game, but it seems that Coach Chico still liked to use 4 WRs a good amount of the time even after Coach Dodge left. The difference between 3-wide and 4-wide sets is obviously pretty huge when it comes to WR depth.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

Here's whats left:

That leaves us with 8 returning wide receivers. Of the 8, 5 were scholarship and 3 of the 6 (Brown, Marshall, Shutza) were originally walk-ons.

I'm thinking we may want to look to James Hamilton as a replacement for Darius. Another option would be some of the new guys we signed at other positions, including Antoine Jimmerson, Andrew McNulty, Zach Whitfield or Freddy Wariner.

Since we are post Dodge, being so low on wide receivers is not AS much an issue but certainly replacing a player of Carey's ability is no small order! I like Carey and will miss watching him but my support lies with Coach Mac and I believe he is only doing what is best for the program. Go Mean Green!

Outlaw is back and Olawale was moved to wr. So the depth is not bad, losing your best receiver is.

• Upvote 1

Here's whats left:

Add Michael Outlaw and Derrick Teegarden to that list as well...I also recall Olawale getting work outside during the Spring.

Chico initially indicated that Hamilton will see time simply backing up Lance...that may change now.

Warner is interesting candidate...Chico mentioned his wanting to "steal" him from the defense and now with the late signing of Kendall Washington it may well be more feasible to move Warner to offense.

Eternal Optmist: FIU has no idea who to stop other than Lance. They'll spend the first half trying to figure out who these new guys are.

We go as Lance goes. It's only a devastating loss if someone fails to step up in his absence. If guys seize the moment, we'll be talking about how little we missed our leading returning receiving threat.

• Upvote 1

Just keep in mind folks that one of the best WR's of all time at NT was a walk-on.

And he was practically 3rd string under the DD. Not to mention one or two of our all-time LBers were walk-ons, too.

It is so wild to go through UNT's pieces of history and see all the incredible stories, polarizing figures, and close calls.

Time to get over that hump and become greatness.

Edited by greenminer