Nickname/Mascot, Size of Signage, Shade of Green, Helmet Discussions

UNTLifer

Anyone else had a Baltika 9 ? Can't say it's the best I've ever had, but it was certainly memorable.

yep...a russian extra lager...got it at the beer/wine joint that used to be across from texas 8 ball, off the square. i remember that it was cheap...that's about it!

Not when I have sooooo many smooth beer/ale choices.

very true...keep with what you like...but venture out when you can...beer is like wine...i hated ipa's the first dozen times i tried them...but i came around to enjoy the uniqueness of the taste and flavore...a taste cultivates with time

my session beer would be amstel light...love that shiat!

Edited by THOR

You can stop trying them and hoping that you'll find one that you like......they all start out bitter, and get worse after that.

The Dogfish Head 90 and 120 Minute IPA's are outstanding and far more potent than most other brews on the market. I definitely recommend giving this a shot if you are cynical about this type of beer. The 60 Minute is okay but the 90+ is absolutely worth your time/money/calories.

The Dogfish Head 90 and 120 Minute IPA's are outstanding and far more potent than most other brews on the market. I definitely recommend giving this a shot if you are cynical about this type of beer. The 60 Minute is okay but the 90+ is absolutely worth your time/money/calories.

As I said before, it's my understanding that IPA's were developed to survive a long ocean voyage and not go bad. The trade off was that they were bitter as hell. But the troops in India were sooooo desperate for their brewed beverages that they drank it....and I suppose eventually developed a taste for it. But not because they were given much of a choice.

It would be like a Southern Civil war veteran coming back home and not being comfortable eating anything but rancid bacon and weevil infested biscuits....or worse. Maybe he was able to survive on that diet, but he certainly wouldn't advocate that his family and friends "develop a taste for it".

As I said before, it's my understanding that IPA's were developed to survive a long ocean voyage and not go bad. The trade off was that they were bitter as hell. But the troops in India were sooooo desperate for their brewed beverages that they drank it....and I suppose eventually developed a taste for it. But not because they were given much of a choice.

It would be like a Southern Civil war veteran coming back home and not being comfortable eating anything but rancid bacon and weevil infested biscuits....or worse. Maybe he was able to survive on that diet, but he certainly wouldn't advocate that his family and friends "develop a taste for it".

There are a lot of acquired tastes in this world... coffee, wine, cigars, IPA's. As stated in an earlier post, coffee has come a long way in the past 30-40 years. I can assure anyone that IPA's are substantially more advanced than the slop that was being shipped to India. Brewmasters all over the world have been putting their 2 hands together and crafting up some incredibly delicious IPA's for a long time. Many of these products are not the slightest amount bitter and contain an abundance of complex flavors that are pleasing to a discriminating palate.

I totally agree that there are some nasty IPA's. However, you can always find an equally nasty lager, hefeweizen, etc.

To compare a feeling that I have which is similar to SilverEagle's IPA bias... I hate tea with a passion and there isn't a drop on this earth that I can find pleasing.

There are a lot of acquired tastes in this world... coffee, wine, cigars, IPA's. As stated in an earlier post, coffee has come a long way in the past 30-40 years. I can assure anyone that IPA's are substantially more advanced than the slop that was being shipped to India. Brewmasters all over the world have been putting their 2 hands together and crafting up some incredibly delicious IPA's for a long time. Many of these products are not the slightest amount bitter and contain an abundance of complex flavors that are pleasing to a discriminating palate.

I totally agree that there are some nasty IPA's. However, you can always find an equally nasty lager, hefeweizen, etc.

To compare a feeling that I have which is similar to SilverEagle's IPA bias... I hate tea with a passion and there isn't a drop on this earth that I can find pleasing.

The first IPA I ever tried was at a micro-brewery in Las Cruces. The brewmaster said that it was very popular with the local students. As I slid the sample glass (thank God it was a sample)back across the bar to him, I advised him that the local students were obviously a bunch of masochist. He just laughed. I tried another IPA (as part of a sampler) at a microbrewery in Artesia NM.....same result. The rest of the samples were very good.

I love a brew with a lot of complex flavors just like the next guy. But I don't think I should have to get past bitterness to enjoy them..... B)

Have we come accustomed to justifying bad/unhealthy habits by saying "acquired tastes"?

Is that off base?

I don't know what is so bad/unhealthy about acquiring a taste for quality coffee or wine (cab especially) in moderation. My sources say the benefits of one glass of each per day outweigh any caloric or liver negative as long as you participate in an active lifestyle... unlike myself or my avatar.

smoking cigars is bad.....

i'm bad.

The last game that Todd Dodge coached, I sat at home listening on the radio and worked my way through a 6-pack of Dogfish Head 60-minute (the 90 and 120 weren't available at Albertson's). Son, let me tell you. Six of those bad boys, and I had no idea if the team won, lost, drew, or ran for the hills in search of a different shade of green.

As for a favorite beer, I'm really partial to Anchor Steam because it was the first "real" beer I cut my teeth on when I was...21. yeaaah. I was 21 when I learned to drink that stuff.

• Upvote 2

The last game that Todd Dodge coached, I sat at home listening on the radio and worked my way through a 6-pack of Dogfish Head 60-minute (the 90 and 120 weren't available at Albertson's). Son, let me tell you. Six of those bad boys, and I had no idea if the team won, lost, drew, or ran for the hills in search of a different shade of green.

As for a favorite beer, I'm really partial to Anchor Steam because it was the first "real" beer I cut my teeth on when I was...21. yeaaah. I was 21 when I learned to drink that stuff.

lol... i would love to hear your thoughts on the 90 Minute... just go to Metzlers, always a cold 4 pack available on Londonderry. Don't worry about the price, it will do the job of any 6 pack X 2!

The Anchor Steam is an awesome craft beer. I would have to give that some consideration in my personal top 5. This is as difficult as thinking of my favorite movies!

I miss Shiner!! A few stores here in NC carry the "normal" variety but none of their special brews.

Do they still make Long Star?

You live in Durham, correct? I just had Triangle's Golden Ale at Tyler's Taproom by the DBAP, and it was awesome! It tasted like a Chimay...but was a lot cheaper.

We do have some good micro brew here in NC, but I do miss my Shiner!

Silver, with ya on the IPAs! I have yet to find one that I like.

WHAT!?!?!!?

Try a Terrapin Hopsecutioner...or a Loose Cannon...or a Bear Republic Racer 5...and then tell me you do not like IPA's. IPA's are the best beer EVER!!!thumbsu.gif

I don't think I could pick just one.

DosXX Lager if I'm going light or Stella but I love the darker beers

Ugly Pug by Rahr

1554 by New Belgium - LOVE their brew company up in Ft. Collins CO

Yeungling- but I only get it when my friend goes home to Lancaster, PA a few times a year. Can't find it down here.

I know a few people mentioned COLD beer and the coldest I have had in a long time on draft is at Twin Peaks. My husband and I went there recently for beer and some bites and holy smokes it grows ice it's so cold. Good if you just want some damn cold domestic stuff.

Have we come accustomed to justifying bad/unhealthy habits by saying "acquired tastes"?

Is that off base?

In my lifetime, I have acquired a taste for cheese, pickles, kimchee, sushi, oysters, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, avocados, pate, snap peas, caviar, kale, arugula, carpaccio, venison, duck, various hot sauces and pecan pie. Unless all of these are an abomination unto the Lord, then I would hypothesize that the phrase "acquired taste" is not a euphemism for "accept my filthy habit!"

If you dislike the topic of conversation, or you feel it is bad/unhealthy, then by all means, don't participate. But please refrain from using semantics to inject your own personal philosophies on vices upon others. It's just...wait for it...distasteful.

• Upvote 1

Brooklyn Summer Ale. Hands down.

Others: Brooklyn Lager, Brooklyn Main Engine Start, Brooklyn Local #1 and #2, Brooklyn Post Road Pumpkin Ale...ok, damn near everything Brooklyn Brewery throws down...Palm, Southhampton Double White, Ommegang Witte, Longhammer IPA, Rogue Juniper IPA...I like wheat and I like hops.

Also, I miss Shiner. And Lone Star.

Brooklyn Summer Ale. Hands down.

Others: Brooklyn Lager, Brooklyn Main Engine Start, Brooklyn Local #1 and #2, Brooklyn Post Road Pumpkin Ale...ok, damn near everything Brooklyn Brewery throws down...Palm, Southhampton Double White, Ommegang Witte, Longhammer IPA, Rogue Juniper IPA...I like wheat and I like hops.

Also, I miss Shiner. And Lone Star.

I'm gonna be in the north east for a week. Leaving on Tuesday. This post is noted, and if you have any other recs for me to try...they'd be appreciated.

Host is in South Plainsfield, NJ. We'll make the trek up to NYC 2 - 3 times but - for the most part - this is a chill-and-drink-home-made-brew hang. You mentioned several with Brooklyn in their name...I'll look for those!

Brooklyn Brewery

Well worth the trip...the weekend tour is free from about noon until 8pm...then you buy beer tokens and just hang out at the brewery...I think it's $20 for 6 beer tokens...so less than $3.50 a pint, you won't find swill beer for that in NYC.