Gmg.com Bowl 8 - Numbers

KRAM1

I am really excited to be able to announce that through the generous support of those who participated, donated and helped stage the 8th annual GMG.COM Bowl, that we were able to raise some $2225.00 for the Andrew Smith Memorial Scholarship Fund!!!!! Our goal was to raise at least $1500 and I would say we well surpassed that goal.

The above totals do assume that I collect from those who had the winning bids for the silent auction merchandise. I will be getting in touch with all the winners in the very near future.

Thanks to out shirt sponsor Brian Futrell (unt88) and The Billiard factory in Lewisville for their generous support, to those who provided silent auction materials, to all those who bid on the silent auction merchandise, to all our players and donors (we had people donate who were could not play or attend), to Smitty for the great shirt design and to Harry and GMG.Com. Thanks also to the families and friends who braved the heat to come out and watch...and how about that great BBQ and those super tailgate beans? Thanks to the Hiatt's for the great BBQ and to msgreengoblin for the great tailgate beans! There were several players who gave more than the $25 player fee to help provide additional funds as well. I also need to thank the Athletic Dept. folks who helped us secure Fouts, had the gates unlocked, the power on and tables and chairs ready Saturday morning, for the give-a-way cups, pom poms and mini-volleyballs for the kids and to Rick V. for not only coming by the game but in having the new stadium open for all who wished to have an "up close and personal" look.

Let me see if I can recall all the ex-players attending:

Scott Hall

Andy Blount

Johnny Quinn

Brian Futrell

Jason Ball

Weston Thaggard

Cody Spencer

Pierce Reid

Jared Vaughn

Montey Kennerson-Stevenson

Luke Condor

Justin Claiborne

OK, I know I am missing one or two...someone help me out here.

Hopefully, we will have even more return next year when the word gets out. Anyone else notice current Mean Green QB Derek Thompson on the sidelines?

A special thanks to the ladies who braved the heat and the testosterone to play...Crooked I Formation, Lindsey,and mrsgreengoblin.

All I can say is that it was definitely a GREAT day to be part of the Mean Green nation. I hope to see everyone (and more) back next year for the GoMeanGreenBowl 9!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1

Justin Claiborn was an ex-player also playing

Oh, yes, you are 100% correct...happy to have Justin with us as well...I am going to edit my post and add Justin...how did I forget Justin? Sorry...old age perhaps. :unsure:

Yep. My muscles tighten up as I sit here at my desk and then I get a dose of reality when I stand up. This forty-sumpthin fat boy isn't used to that much exercise.

Don't feel too bad, my 25 year old body is limping after getting Johnny Quinn'd 100x.

Hopefully, we will have even more return next year when the word gets out. Anyone else notice current Mean Green QB Derek Thompson on the sidelines?

After seeing what the efforts of just a few volunteers here were able to accomplish I would like to see this event grow to where we are eventually bringing in some major funding for this scholarship.

This would be a great oportunity for the fund raising arm of the Athletic Department(Mean Green Club) to make a huge leap forward. It should coincide with the Spring Game and could truly turn into something amazing. Who wouldnt love to see Scott Davis or Mitch Maher and Johnny Quinn take on Scott Hall and Troy Redwine etc...?

I believe Texas Tech has something similar each year and had an estimated crowd of nearly 20,000 show up one year. Now with the new facilities it would be an easy sell to get some of the past greats and new Lettermen to participate for a noble cause each year, and the fans would love it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

What is Cody Spencer up to these days? Is his NFL career over? What about the "Mighty" Quinn, is he still involved in bobsledding?

JQ said his goal is to get stronger and faster to prepare for the next bobsled season. So not surprisingly, when I got over to the AC Center after the game he was in the weight room moving equipment around preparing to get a lift in.

Rick