Fau And Fiu Campuses Visited On Memorial Day

Just arrived back from Miami area mini vacation last night. While there I visited both SBC members' campuses and stadiums. FAU in Boca Raton is celebrating its 50th anniversary with the ushering in of a new stadium that is about 2 months behind where we are now. It has a very tall press box with a lot of suites and will be a great addition to SBC venues. FIU has a sprawling beautiful campus west of the Miami airport. It's stadium though fairly new is no comparison to what FAU will have, but it is a huge step up from Lockhart Stadium ( a large H.S. stadium owned by the City of Ft. Lauderdale and rented to FAU & FIU previously). Our team had better be in good physical shape when they open at FIU on 8/31 as it will be hot and humid. The Golden Panthers will definitely have a climate advantage. The stadium is single decked all the way around with high wind screens above the top of each section. No wind to stir the stifling heat can get to the field.

I was very impressed with each schools campus and their athletic facilities. It is a shame that more of our fans don't visit our Sun Belt brethren as these are the type programs with which we should want to be associated. The SBC is in a growth mode and quickly catching C-USA IMHO. :rolleyes:

Edited by DallasGreen

I did the same thing when I was on travel in February in North Miami Beach. I was equally impressed with FAU and FIU. I found FIU's spirit strong around campus in the bookstore. It will be a war on 8.31 because they have their eyes on New Orleans.

I March I actually ran into students at a bar in Savannah from FAU and they were equally excited about their programs. Now the fan support is still growing, but I like both of those programs and don't mind a trip to South Beach every year. They are cosmopolitan based campuses with new digs - sounds like that program on the way back in North Texas.

GMG

Just arrived back from Miami area mini vacation last night. While there I visited both SBC members' campuses and stadiums. FAU in Boca Raton is celebrating its 50th anniversary with the ushering in of a new stadium that is about 2 months behind where we are now. It has a very tall press box with a lot of suites and will be a great addition to SBC venues. FIU has a sprawling beautiful campus west of the Miami airport. It's stadium though fairly new is no comparison to what FAU will have, but it is a huge step up from Lockhart Stadium ( a large H.S. stadium owned by the City of Ft. Lauderdale and rented to FAU & FIU previously). Our team had better be in good physical shape when they open at FIU on 8/31 as it will be hot and humid. The Golden Panthers will definitely have a climate advantage. The stadium is single decked all the way around with high wind screens above the top of each section. No wind to stir the stifling heat can get to the field.

I was very impressed with each schools campus and their athletic facilities. It is a shame that more of our fans don't visit our Sun Belt brethren as these are the type programs with which we should want to be associated. The SBC is in a growth mode and quickly catching C-USA IMHO. :rolleyes:

To prepare maybe we can have two a days in a hot and humid place like Denton, Texas.

Just busting your chops man, thanks for the report.

I March I actually ran into students at a bar in Savannah from FAU and they were equally excited about their programs. Now the fan support is still growing, but I like both of those programs and don't mind a trip to South Beach every year. They are cosmopolitan based campuses with new digs - sounds like that program on the way back in North Texas.

Might those students have been members of the FAU equestrian team? They were in Savannah and Charleston for a weekend of horse shows. My daughter was amongst them.

BTW, FIU never used Lockhart for a home stadium. It played on campus at what was FIU Community Stadium, where the FIU campus joins a large adjacent park. What is left of that stadium comprises the bleacher side linbe opposite the "home" sideline in the new stadium.

FAU stadium photos: http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=485371&pid=6555590#pid6555590