Houston Hand Sign

UNT90

400 Yds? Well let's see.... that is:

230 more yards than Clemson threw on us last year

Clemson averaged 196 yards passing per game last year. Of course they didn't throw for 400. They were slightly below their passing average in the game with 177. But when you're up 3 TDs, there's not much reason to pass the ball.

330 yards more than Kansas State threw on us last year

KSU averaged 179 yards per game last year. If you want to congratulate yourself on holding them to 77 yards passing, you do that. We'll just ignore that they didn't have to pass the ball since they had 373 yards rushing

137 yards more than Bama threw in 2009

They had 90 more yards per game against UNT than their season average. And again, no reason for them to pass when you win by 46.

200 more yards than LSU threw in 2008

Another blowout by 38.

Your stats were more useless than mine.

You're right. UH might not get 400 yards passing if we're up 30+ in the game or rushing for 300 yards.

And I think it is funny that you downgrade UH's schedule and record considering UNT's.

Edited by NTXCoog

You are right....running the ball is how K-State defeated us and they relied on the run because their passing game was going nowhere. Matter of fact..their QB (Carson Coffman) threw his worst game of the year last year against us. It isn't because he didn't try. He threw the ball 20 times and with only 9 receptions for 77 yards. He came DANGEROUSLY close to what (help me guys) like three different picks that should have been made but unfortunately were not. This is due to UNT having a less than stellar ability to grab interceptions....but I saw at least 3 passes that should have been caught. This will hopefully be remedied this year since last year we ranked last in the Sunbelt with Interceptions (tied with WKU).

As for Clemson....outside of one 70 yard pass that was spot on due to the lack of coverage....their passing game also went nowhere with us and they relied on the run to get it done. Here is the box score if you are interested Box Score vs. Clemson

The question is....will any of this matter? We have no idea how Case will come out and we have no idea if North Texas will be improved until we see what DMac has put together. I am looking forward to this game and I am more than glad that it is Houston that we open the stadium with. There are way too many variables that come into play to go all in on either team right now.

You are right....running the ball is how K-State defeated us and they relied on the run because their passing game was going nowhere. Matter of fact..their QB (Carson Coffman) threw his worst game of the year last year against us. It isn't because he didn't try. He threw the ball 20 times and with only 9 receptions for 77 yards. He came DANGEROUSLY close to what (help me guys) like three different picks that should have been made but unfortunately were not. This is due to UNT having a less than stellar ability to grab interceptions....but I saw at least 3 passes that should have been caught. This will hopefully be remedied this year since last year we ranked last in the Sunbelt with Interceptions (tied with WKU).

They didn't run because their passing game was going nowhere. Looking at the play by play...

1st drive - 7 rushes, 0 passes. TD

2nd drive - 4 rushes, 0 passes. 23 yards but fumbled

3rd drive - incomplete pass, 10 yard pass, 6 rushes, incomplete pass, 6 rushes. TD

4th drive - 3 rushes for 29 yards, incomplete pass. Punt

So to start the game they had 26 rushing plays and 4 pass plays w/1 completed.

To start the 2nd half

1st drive - 3 rushes. TD

2nd drive - 8 rushes, 1 incomplete pass. TD

Yes, most of the passes were incompletions in the game, but to start both halves, they didn't even bother trying to pass. They scored TDs rushing only without attempting a single pass. When the few passes they threw didn't work, they continued with what was ALREADY successful.

As for Clemson....outside of one 70 yard pass that was spot on due to the lack of coverage....their passing game also went nowhere with us and they relied on the run to get it done. Here is the box score if you are interested Box Score vs. Clemson

UNT held Clemson to just 20 yards below their average for the season. Clemson was up 28-7 late in the 3rd. They scored again on their 1st possession in the 4th after UNT "closed the gap" to 28-10. Then Clemson had their backup QB in for their last 2 possessions of the game.

The question is....will any of this matter? We have no idea how Case will come out and we have no idea if North Texas will be improved until we see what DMac has put together. I am looking forward to this game and I am more than glad that it is Houston that we open the stadium with. There are way too many variables that come into play to go all in on either team right now.

No. None of this does matter, but it's great to talk some football. The only things we have until the season starts are goofball threads (like this one started) and speculation sometimes based on stats and facts. I prefer substantive talks, and it's great that you're throwing out stats and facts to support your point of view. Until the game is over, that's all we can do.

I'm looking forward to the game too. Since I live so close to Denton (Providence Village), I'm hoping to make it to more than just the UH game. I've been slowly adopting UNT as my second team solely based on where I live.

AS far as Clemson is concerned....watch these two plays (just two) that account for 14 of those 28 points.

first one is at :30 and was entirely the refs fault for being directly in the way of the block (why he got layed out) and essentially acted as an extra player for Clemson

next play is that bomb that was dropped at :52 in the video

at 1:19 you see another TD pass that came damn close to being tipped, INT'd or just stuffed.....but it didn't and resulted in a TD. This game was far closer than the score showed. Clemson's coach gave TD a very respectful shotout at the end of the game saying that Clemson should not have won....and that three plays were all that separated them winning from us. Very heartbreaking.

Glad to have an adopted UNT fan regardless of where you went to school. This board is full of persons that went to other schools (some even played ball at other schools) and in my eyes those people are even more deserving of watching this team win than those who attend school and show up to one game every 2-3 years.

*edit this is the best review of the game I have seen online but pause it at :36 and you will see why I am butt-hurt about this play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbF1i6tlSf0&feature=related

Glad to have an adopted UNT fan regardless of where you went to school. This board is full of persons that went to other schools (some even played ball at other schools) and in my eyes those people are even more deserving of watching this team win than those who attend school and show up to one game every 2-3 years.

Few football related things piss me off more than people who bandwagon and abandon their own school. I've known several people from UNT who cheer for UT and have no idea what's going on at their school. I obviously don't have an issue with cheering for a second team, especially if there's a reason (geographic, parent's alma mater, etc), but if you follow football at all, you should follow and support your alma mater first.

• Upvote 5