111 Days

Green2012

Now that the spring semester is over with my countdown on google has begun for September 1, 2011. With the continuous off season talk on the message board regarding conference realignments, uniforms, etc., I think I'll try and change it up a little.

I think we all grew somewhat tired of UNT's version of the spread relatively quickly. While effective at many collegiate schools, our potential with the spread was hindered by a gun shy O.C. for 3 years. I think we can all agree that began to change as Coach Chico turned us into a more versatile offense with new formations, motion, plays, and a new vision to take risks for higher reward. The running game also became much more productive.

With a new coaching staff in place and even more allowance to Coach C to run the Offense, what play do you expect to see when the offense gets the ball for the first time in 2011?

Here's my dream scenario to kick start the new season. We come out in the spread (5 wide) with a tightend as one slot receiver, a full back as the other, and our tailback as the outside receiver. At the quarterback's motion, we shift into the 'I' formation and go under center. From there we snap the ball with the left guard and tackle pulling. Left guard blows up the right end and the left tackle gets up on the mike linebacker making a hole so big the parting of the red sea turned out to be overrated. That to me would say "Its wide open and we're gonna run it up your arse."

I just want to see a more physical team and I think Coach Mac seems to want that to. I think Derek is more than capable of being a good gun-slinging QB this year, but I'd like to see us play more hard-nosed football this season.

• Upvote 1

With McCarney and Clint Bowen, I don't fear The FIU Fighting T.Y. Hiltons anymore. I think the thing we will really see pop this year, though, is the special teams under Kent Riddle. This is a bona fide special teams coach, yo.

We have the coaches all the way around to put players in the right position to counter T.Y.

Good point, however, the thing that really worries me about FIU is not Hilton (who is a really good player), it's the size of their offensive and defensive lines. They were the only SBC conference team last year that we looked totally outmatched with size wise on the lines. We've got some serious work to do to catch up to them in that regard.

Good point, however, the thing that really worries me about FIU is not Hilton (who is a really good player), it's the size of their offensive and defensive lines. They were the only SBC conference team last year that we looked totally outmatched with size wise on the lines. We've got some serious work to do to catch up to them in that regard.

Never bring a dog to a gunfight.

Considering that my entire knowledge base of UNT football goes allll the way back to 2008, there is nowhere to go but up this season. Seeing what the team was capable of in the last 5 games of last season, this upcoming season intrigues me. I would think the players, even if they're not very big on the line, are pretty damn hungry this year.

Considering that my entire knowledge base of UNT football goes allll the way back to 2008, there is nowhere to go but up this season. Seeing what the team was capable of in the last 5 games of last season, this upcoming season intrigues me. I would think the players, even if they're not very big on the line, are pretty damn hungry this year.

True, what worries me most is experience. And we lost some valuable experience last year mostly on our O and D lines. I have no doubt that our coaches will do a great job making them hungry all off season for a win. Hopefully we can actually translate that into wins and not just some hooplah.