Uta In The Mix For A Wac Slot ?

It might be simpler to move the whole Southland to fb status. UTSA, Lamar, UTA, TSSM. might has well add in SE La, NW La, McNeese, SFA and Sam Houston.

I have nothing against teams wanting to move up, but I do think each additional area school moving up is going to drag down the quality of FB football. Sounds self serving but not only will the competition increase and resources dwindle but eventually there will be a move by the "haves" to jettison the fast expanding bottom tier of the FB division.

My favorite part is where he retracts the statement about UTA.

** Slight correction. In the sixth paragraph, I published that Benson had met with Seattle, Lamar and Utah Valley among other unnamed schools. He wanted me to stress that those schools have merely shown interest. Texas-Arlington was also not on the list. That part has been retracted.

Jesuit is always looking for the next step up...They already play in UIL.

TAPPS to TCIL to UIL to WAC. It makes sense and shows they've kept an aggressive expansion plan.

• Upvote 1

It might be simpler to move the whole Southland to fb status. UTSA, Lamar, UTA, TSSM. might has well add in SE La, NW La, McNeese, SFA and Sam Houston.

I have nothing against teams wanting to move up, but I do think each additional area school moving up is going to drag down the quality of FB football. Sounds self serving but not only will the competition increase and resources dwindle but eventually there will be a move by the "haves" to jettison the fast expanding bottom tier of the FB division.

NON-BCS-Autobid conferences are quickly becoming the new D1-AA/FCS.

NON-BCS-Autobid conferences are quickly becoming the new D1-AA/FCS.

This is what I fear will cause the next defections of the top 60 or so teams from the rest. If a playoff ever gets instituted, I can see it being only AQ teams, thus scheduling against lower rung teams will be a thing of the past. The bigger thing I fear is the AQs leaving the NCAA to form their own coalition for all sports. TV networks would drool at this possibility if the biggest draws get their own football playoff, basketball tournament, college world series, etc...

• Upvote 1

Sounds like Benson has a lot of animosity towards the Sun Belt after all the schools he asked to join the WAC kept saying no to him over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again...

Seattle, Utah Valley, and Lamar all make the WAC even more of a joke. UTA would actually be a very good choice for them.

fify