Which Is A Better Brand?

NThomas

For athletics I am all for the UNT brand. The North Texas connotation in sports represents the regions youth/club athletics. Google North Texas Volleyball and "The North Texas Region of USA Volleyball" is the first hit. Do the same for North Texas Soccer and you get half a dozen regional soccer clubs and organizations. The same holds true for swimming and golf and would be the same someday when we bring on baseball.

In my view UNT brand clearly distinguishes the university, North Texas better represents a region of Texas.

Edited by UNTDude
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

For athletics I am all for the UNT brand. The North Texas connotation in sports represents the regions youth/club athletics. Google North Texas Volleyball and "The North Texas Region of USA Volleyball" is the first hit. Do the same for North Texas Soccer and you get half a dozen regional soccer clubs and organizations. The same holds true for swimming and golf and would be the same someday when we bring on baseball.

In my view UNT brand is a clearly distinguishes the university, North Texas better represents a region of Texas.

That's my point.

When people ask where I'm from, I tell them "North Texas." The follow up question has always been "what city in North Texas" and never any mention about the university.

Edited by NThomas

I've never lived in Texas after graduation and I can assure you that few people have a clue what UNT means. Maybe in La or Ark but not on the east or west coasts. In fact, it would be pretentious of me to make them guess. It's all alphabet soup. Quick, without "Googling", name these schools in five seconds or less: CCU, ESC, NCCU, UEI, etc, etc.

There are only a few schools that can get away with using their initials like SMU, TCU and UCLA. Most of the rest need their full names.

The issue about North Texas being a region is a valid one. That's why when people ask me where I went to school, I say "the University of North Texas" or "North Texas State" in the old days. When I talk with musicians, I can say just "North Texas".

The ultimate brand = Mean Green! When I wear my Mean Green gear or somehow NT comes into the conversation - lots of people know Mean Green here in Las Vegas. Rebels remember our games against them which is shocking to me. That is why if we we ever get an invite to the MWC we won't be strangers when we line up against UNLV, Reno, Boise, Colorado State, Air Force, Utah State (they will be there soon as well), and even Hawaii from all the WAC talk. I think our only future conference strangers might be Fresno, SJSU and New Mexico.

GMG

It does matter whether you're in the region of the school or not. Outside national brands that have been around for decades such as LSU, USC, BYU, etc., the abbreviated forms don't usually mean much outside the state. UNT does have meaning locally, but would mean nothing to somebody in, say, Orange County. Conversely, I know that when in Texas, I have to tell people that I went to...oh, never mind.

North Texas Mean Green. We don't have to explain we are a "University", it's already implied, especially during sporting events.

But this debate will rage on as long as a certain small department on campus is allowed to continue to fight the athletic department over this. It's been long established that the property south of I-35 that was the Eagle Point golf course is THE athletic complex for the university. And now it's dominated by the largest investment this university has ever made.

So naturally, as soon as the ONE big ass lighted sign located on that side of the highway became available(the one that was used for the Raddison Hotel), the university stepped in and put a plain, hoh! hum! lighted "UNT" on it. Not "North Texas", not "Mean Green" or the athletic symbol, the Son of Worm logo or anything that might help promote or sell tickets for the opening of the newest stadium in the state?

This is the kind of $#!t that has been going on for years that Dr. Rawlins and the BOR need to address and end now if we are ever going to see our brand reach it's full potential. Well, that and winning some games too. <_<

Rick

• Upvote 1

i moved to arkansas a few months ago...when people ask where i got my degree, i say north texas, not unt becuase they know us as north texas. schools are known from their athletics, not the other way around. most end up just say "oh the mean green? cool" everyone seems to know mean green!!

Edited by bstnsportsfan3

I've never lived in Texas after graduation and I can assure you that few people have a clue what UNT means. Maybe in La or Ark but not on the east or west coasts. In fact, it would be pretentious of me to make them guess. It's all alphabet soup. Quick, without "Googling", name these schools in five seconds or less: CCU, ESC, NCCU, UEI, etc, etc.

There are only a few schools that can get away with using their initials like SMU, TCU and UCLA. Most of the rest need their full names.

This.

While living in Tennessee, I found that everyone else had a different idea as to the meaning of the letters UT.

I say North Texas. When they ask what that is, I say a big-ass school in Texas that would probably blow your mind.

• Upvote 2

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am in favor of implementing the UNT brand into athletics. Frankly, I wish the athletic department would meet half way and incorporate multiple logos/slogans like other universities.

As a fan I would like to see more flexibility from the athletic department....what I mean by that is at the UNT bookstore all you can purchase is athletic gear that reads "North Texas" (North Texas Football, North Texas Volleyball, North Texas Soccer and some Mean Green associated gear).

Having a number of slogans does not diminish the brand. As many have stated in the thread...we call our University by many names..UNT, North Texas, University of North Texas, North Texas Mean Green. I would just like the option to display my spirit with a varity of approved official gear.

Other university athletic departments offer their fans a choice without compromising their brands.

Example:

Someone earlier mentioned BYU, take a look at BYU gear in their bookstore Link: http://www.byubookstore.com/ePOS/form=cat.html&cat=937&store=439 . You can purchase items representing the athletic department that read BYU, Brigham Young Cougars, Brigham Young "Sweet Sixteen" etc. My point is one does not diminish the other but ultimately provides their fans a choice.

The same holds true at many universities i.e. Oklahoma State could have a basketball practice tee that state's "OSU Basketball" or South Florida "University of South Florida Athletics or USF Football".

For me, I hope I can pick up a "Property of UNT Athletics" someday at the bookstore..and if others want North Texas Football or Mean Green Volleyball, I hope there are nice folded piles for you too.

.....because remember. You can't spell PUNT without UNT.

Rick

There are a few other words you can't spell without "UNT" as well. Most I can come up with are negative, including punt, in one way or another: runt, stunt, the one all are thinking but not typing... Interesting

I live on the East Coast. No one knows what UNT means, I always say North Texas.

I kind of have mixed feelings on the issue, but no one knows what UNT means because it's not universally used. Would be nice if it became well known as is USC, UAB, USF, UTEP and such, but that would likely take time and athletic success on a national level. On the other hand, the region of 6 million or so people is now becoming universally known as "North Texas", whereas in the olden days it was referred to more often as the "Metroplex". Tough choice, but if your casual fan in Maine were to turn on Sports Center, and immediately recognize who they were referring to when they mentioned UNT, then I would probably prefer that designation.

The ultimate brand = Mean Green! When I wear my Mean Green gear or somehow NT comes into the conversation - lots of people know Mean Green here in Las Vegas. Rebels remember our games against them which is shocking to me. That is why if we we ever get an invite to the MWC we won't be strangers when we line up against UNLV, Reno, Boise, Colorado State, Air Force, Utah State (they will be there soon as well), and even Hawaii from all the WAC talk. I think our only future conference strangers might be Fresno, SJSU and New Mexico.

GMG

This scenario would be a dream come true to me. We would basically get in the best non-AQ league and play teams that people know of. When we were in the old Big West, Nevada and Boise State were newer to 1-A within a couple of years. Now that they both have had major success, I would love to be associated with them, not to mention being linked with all of the others in the MWC, who have had histories of success in either football or basketball over the last few decades. As fun as a trip is to go to Miami or Lafayette, I think a trip to Colorado, Las Vegas, or Albuquerque would grow to be appreciated greatly by the MG faithful.

I just don't know if that league will ever take us, though. Our school will almost have to get picked on "faith" by the MWC, being able to look past the bad results from football for the most part of the last 30 years, as well as non-descript results from men's hoops (no NCAA wins, a few appearnaces, etc..)and see us for what we are, a school that is finally trying to reach out to the potential that we have. If we are stuck in the SBC, its not the end of the world, but the ceiling for the program will remain a lot lower, just because of the history of the league and its members being so small. I would feel a little bit better about the SBC if a team could ever get ranked in football, but those $$$ OOC games against big-time AQ teams will always make that a tough proposition. Maybe we couldn't compete in the MWC right now, but a berth in that league would do even more for our credibility, both among fans and media, not to mention recruits.

• Downvote 1

For all of the examples of USC, UCLA, etc., there are enough schools which are recognized by their names, not their initials, such as:

Michigan, not UM

Michigan State, not MSU

Penn State, not PSU

Notre Dame, not UND

Georgetown, not GU

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The fact that there is a division about this within the university - and reflected on this board - is typical of all that is wrong with North Texas/UNT when it comes to the failure to achieve potential over the many years. WHY is it that North Texas/UNT suffers so bad from this division and wavering, holding it back over decades??? Other schools overcome this crap. North Texas/UNT wallows in it eternally. Absence of leadership. Won't someone take the reins of this animal and get it in fighting shape?! These administrators should be ashamed. I hear people down here saying 'UNT' sometimes. That's only because someone gave them that idea; years ago no one would have said 'UNT'. It's a terrible idea that should have been axed by a decent leader. I understand why someone had the idea initially, but if they had sense they would have questioned this baby idea using their own powers of critical thinking (if it existed) and seen that any merits of it are far outweighed by the downsides. What that shows is really weak thinking, inability to go to the second level. Unfortunately that too often has characterized the 'leadership' coming out of the administration building or wherever they have gone now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For comparison sake... Look at the University of South Florida. Right now, they are recognizable by both USF and South Florida. I think they are very similar to where we are as a university (other than their better athletic conference affiliation). So if USF/South Florida can go by both, why can't UNT/North Texas? I don't see a problem with either. "Why not North Texas?"

We don't really stack up with USC/Southern California, so it would be difficult to draw that comparison. It would be nice to compare to USC someday!

The fact that there is a division about this within the university - and reflected on this board - is typical of all that is wrong with North Texas/UNT when it comes to the failure to achieve potential over the many years. WHY is it that North Texas/UNT suffers so bad from this division and wavering, holding it back over decades??? Other schools overcome this crap. North Texas/UNT wallows in it eternally. Absence of leadership. Won't someone take the reins of this animal and get it in fighting shape?! These administrators should be ashamed. I hear people down here saying 'UNT' sometimes. That's only because someone gave them that idea; years ago no one would have said 'UNT'. It's a terrible idea that should have been axed by a decent leader. I understand why someone had the idea initially, but if they had sense they would have questioned this baby idea using their own powers of critical thinking (if it existed) and seen that any merits of it are far outweighed by the downsides. What that shows is really weak thinking, inability to go to the second level. Unfortunately that too often has characterized the 'leadership' coming out of the administration building or wherever they have gone now.

Completely agree!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick