Sun Belt Expansion Grows Less Likely

MeanGreen61

League brass had hoped that all the details for adding an 11th football team, which would join the league in 2012, would be ironed out by the meetings’ May 22 opening. But that momentum has stalled in recent weeks, and it now appears unlikely to come to pass anytime soon

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/22/2183125/vote-on-expansion-during-spring.html#ixzz1KYXq0zUL

I'm glad. The requirement of needing to be a current FBS program was extremely limiting and short sighted. No one wants or cares about Louisiana Tech and all it would have done (assuming they were the target) is double up teams in a rural area of Louisiana.

Give Texas State-San Marcos a couple years to bake, and see if there is any movement on the FCS side within the Sun Belt footprint.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm glad. The requirement of needing to be a current FBS program was extremely limiting and short sighted. No one wants or cares about Louisiana Tech and all it would have done (assuming they were the target) is double up teams in a rural area of Louisiana.

Give Texas State-San Marcos a couple years to bake, and see if there is any movement on the FCS side within the Sun Belt footprint.

I tend to agree here. Texas State has good potential to get off the ground fairly quickly in a watered-down WAC. They would probably love a regional conference with an in-state rival and travel partner, so that might make sense. I would still go after NMSU, also, to get the SBC to 12 teams, with the understanding that La Tech only gets in if ULM drops down. The funny part here is that LA Tech has looked so far down their noses at ULM and the SBC that it will be sweet to see them fall off the FBS map because the SBC continues to grow and show stability and the mere fact that ULMs presence in the SBC would blackball La Tech from ever joining. Its almost like the reverse of our situation with SMU and CUSA. As an aside, I still cannot believe that SMU would back La Tech for CUSA inclusion--what a joke...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I tend to agree here. Texas State has good potential to get off the ground fairly quickly in a watered-down WAC. They would probably love a regional conference with an in-state rival and travel partner, so that might make sense. I would still go after NMSU, also, to get the SBC to 12 teams, with the understanding that La Tech only gets in if ULM drops down. The funny part here is that LA Tech has looked so far down their noses at ULM and the SBC that it will be sweet to see them fall off the FBS map because the SBC continues to grow and show stability and the mere fact that ULMs presence in the SBC would blackball La Tech from ever joining. Its almost like the reverse of our situation with SMU and CUSA. As an aside, I still cannot believe that SMU would back La Tech for CUSA inclusion--what a joke...

La. Tech views their relationship with SMU from back in the WAC as a plus for any CUSA expansion but in my mind that's false hope. Does SMU carry a lot of clout in CUSA yes, but do they have any La Tech allegience that supercedes good business decisions no. Right now SMU votes in a CUSA block with Tulane and Rice but if given the chance to move up the food chain and pull a TCU and bolt they will.

I think most of us on this board would agree that NMSU would be/has been a great rival for NT. I have really enjoyed watching those games...and they do see to be a natural rival for us.

I agree. I OK with expansion, if we get FBS programs that are good for the Sun Belt. I have no interst in Texas State. Maybe down the road, in 10 years I might warm up to the idea of adding UTSA, but not right now.

I think TSSM has a big early advantage over UTSA, I think they have the better coach and a football history. However, I don't think either one is going to find it easy even in an abysmal WAC. UTSA has better long term potential because of San Antonio and I believe TSSM will always find it tough sledding next to UT.

Few know what truly happens but many profess to in these conference meetings. I do believe that LA Tech had to be the mystery team but who knows if the Belt said no thanks or La Tech afraid of a fan backlash decided to stay in the WAC. I am happy either way, as I don't think La Tech adds much and I think them staying in the WAC is going to further weaken their program.

I think TSSM has a big early advantage over UTSA, I think they have the better coach and a football history. However, I don't think either one is going to find it easy even in an abysmal WAC. UTSA has better long term potential because of San Antonio and I believe TSSM will always find it tough sledding next to UT.

Few know what truly happens but many profess to in these conference meetings. I do believe that LA Tech had to be the mystery team but who knows if the Belt said no thanks or La Tech afraid of a fan backlash decided to stay in the WAC. I am happy either way, as I don't think La Tech adds much and I think them staying in the WAC is going to further weaken their program.

I agree with you on La Tech. I think that their program will really fall apart if they don't get that CUSA invite that they need even more than us. I really do believe that they are blackballed from ever getting in the SBC. This watered down WAC will just kill their program slowly.