Jj's Contract

I see some of the figures that the possible new Womens HC was getting at her previous gig. She was probably getting around 175k all total. I'm assuming that NT will be competitive with what she was getting. So that got me to thinking about how much JJ is getting. For some reason I think he is only at roughly the 150k mark.

• Upvote 2

Yep!!! Let's compare JJ contract against our new WBBC, Hew HFC, Assist. HC/OC, and JJ looks to be low on the totem pole based on JJ performance over the last 5 yrs (this doesn't account for the 2011 recruiting class JJ put together). Please RV get to work.

Edited by UNTMike81

Yep!!! Let's compare JJ contract against our new WBBC, Hew HFC, Assist. HC/OC, and JJ looks to be low on the totem pole. Please RV get to work.

What are you saying? JJ is currently the second highest paid coach at NT only behind McCarney. I really don't understand all this get JJ a raise stuff, he was given a raise last year to around $300k and his senior laden heavily favored team just went .a disappointing 500 in conference. Yes, JJ has resurrected the basketball team and has signed a great recruiting class, I certainly am not oppose to JJ getting another raise, but I fail to see why so many seem to think he is vastly underpaid. Basketball unfortunately raises little revenue compared to football and JJ is already one of the highest paid in the conference. I think Jones can accomplish a lot more at NT and I am more concerned with NT raising his salary at this point than now.

• Upvote 4

What are you saying? JJ is currently the second highest paid coach at NT only behind McCarney. I really don't understand all this get JJ a raise stuff, he was given a raise last year to around $300k and his senior laden heavily favored team just went .a disappointing 500 in conference. Yes, JJ has resurrected the basketball team and has signed a great recruiting class, I certainly am not oppose to JJ getting another raise, but I fail to see why so many seem to think he is vastly underpaid. Basketball unfortunately raises little revenue compared to football and JJ is already one of the highest paid in the conference. I think Jones can accomplish a lot more at NT and I am more concerned with NT raising his salary at this point than now.

I think that you're right to a certain degree. But we also have to consider that JJ will eventually be given other options, heck he might have already had some. Let's face it, some of these opportunities would be hard to turn down. In my opinion UNT needs to do whatever JJ asks them to do in order to keep the relationship between him and the university in a positive manner. I'm not saying JJ is one of those coaches that is selfish and is all about the money, because he sure does not seem to be that way. All I'm saying is that UNT had better never begin to undervalue what JJ has done for Mean Green Basketball.

Basketball unfortunately raises little revenue compared to football

Not to explicitly disagree with you without having the pertinent information, but I'd be curious to see what the bottom line figures are for football and basketball when insurance, travel expenses, scholarships, and other expenses are accounted for.

I copied below from previous post by "The Tasty Greek" I'll continue my post below Tasty's work.

Not to steal anyone's thunder here... But we've won more than a majority, and we've been doing it for more than the past 2 years.

Since the first 20 win season (2006-07):

3-4 against BCS teams not ranked in the top 20, all 4 losses coming on the road.

4-1 against CUSA, the only loss coming on the road.

8-1 against Southland schools other than UTA (10-4 overall), the only loss coming on the road. Last loss to UTA was in 2008.

7-0 against SWAC teams, also undefeated against non-D1 opponents.

9-1 against other D-1 conference (Atlantic 10, Missouri Valley, WAC, Summit, etc.), the only loss coming on the road.

So, basically... We're playing .500 ball against power conference teams that aren't the equivalent of a Top 6 BCS football team. These schools have basketball budgets an average of 4-5 times higher than the Sun Belt average, and more often than not they're paying us to show up expecting us to be a guaranteed win. Instead (other than the ones who would be ranked in the top 6 if this were football), we've been taking it to them just as well as they've been playing against us.

We're .800 against CUSA opponents and .900 against other mid-major conference schools.

We never lose against "lesser" opponents.

Also, the only coach that has won more Sun Belt conference games over the past 3 years than Johnny Jones is Ken McDonald. Ken has 33. JJ has 32. That doesn't count SBC tourney wins... Throw those in, and JJ takes the lead.

The only teams outside of the BCS conferences that have longer 20 win streaks than we do are Gonzaga, Memphis, Butler, Xavier, BYU, San Diego State, Utah State, and Akron. Say what you will about what just one 20 win season means today vs. 25 years ago... But looking at the company that 5 or more in a row puts you in shows me that a sustained streak like this means something. The next longest 20 win streak in the Sun Belt is 1 year. One team: FAU. At the end of last year, the longest 20 win streak in the Sun Belt was also 1 year. One team: Troy.

Someday, this run of success in basketball is going to end. I hope it isn't next year, or any time soon after that. I feel fortunate that this run came at a time when I was old enough to appreciate it, young enough to embrace it, and professionally flexible enough to experience as much of it in person as I've been lucky to see.

Something very special and historically rare has happened and continues to happen with this basketball program. Hopefully the next group of guys can keep this tradition growing and thriving.

Tasty's post was in response to RV's about our BB not deserving of criticism when we lost to ULAR in SBC tournament title game.

Here's my view RV has gone our and paid a premium for the football staff based on UNT's AD budget. Now he's going to do the same to get a quality WBBC to come to UNT. I'm happy he's done this. I pray he renegotiates JJ's contract because while these other coaches may deserve the $$$ to come to UNT they haven't produced "WINS" for UNT. JJ has already accomplish what these other coaches promise RV and UNT faithful they'll do!!! So, lets compare JJ current salary to our new coaches based on productivity. If you do that then JJ deserves every penny of a new sizable contract. Do you think Coach Mac after 5 winning years, conference championships, and bowl games will be satisfied with his current contract? The reason I reference conference championships, and bowl games is a reasonable comparison to JJ having SBC regular season title, SBC title championship, many 20 plus winning seasons, and NCAA March Madness selections.

JJ has produced UNT BB wins over many years, and has now recruited what should be noted as one of the best if not the best freshman class coming into UNT. On the football board this would be equivalent to 8 to 10 Three star recruits, 1 or 2 Four Star recruits, and the rest of the class 2 Star recruits that should really be considered 3 star recruits by Rival's, or scouts.

If you don't think coach Mac and his staff wouldn't want a raise after recruiting that type of a class I question your sanity!!!

Point is JJ has earned every bit of a new contract and the school's that will be knocking on JJ's door (currently, or soon) have the "BIG Bucks" and I know an apposing school's AD will be willing to spend the money ie University of Tennessee's new hire. Other school's will be doing what RV has done to hire our new WBBC.

I don't want the same thing to happen to UNT as we loose JJ to another big time program, or potentially big time program with the right coach. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if JJ can recruit like he did in 2011 at UNT that he can't do the same at a bigger more recognized University.

The above reasons are why I believe RV and the BOR better get serious about JJ's contract.

Edited by UNTMike81