Saturdays Scrimmage

SilverEagle

I agree that the defense seems to be really making some progress. Not surprisingly they are looking really active and really aggressive. What is really noticeable is how aggressive the DB's are.....and how hard they are hitting out there. Not every receiver looked particularly sharp in the first part of the scrimmage, and a good bit of that could have been how aggressive the DB's were. Just about every catch they made(especially the ones over the middle) came with a price. I even saw one instance of "alligator arms"....and the receiver in question was someone that I regarded as VERY dependable last year.

I'm feeling better about the DL situation. They are getting everyone into the rotation, and everyone seems to be getting better....albeit in small increments.

The starting QB's did reasonably well. Of the top two, Thompson was the most comfortable and Osburn has the quickest release. He's trying to catch up, and he pushing a bit hard, and as a result he made some ill-advised throws. It'll be interesting to see what his comfort level is at the next scrimmage. Of the other two QB's. Chase Baine is the most athletic, and as I mentioned in another thread, Dodson seems to be the most confident....probably of all of them.

As mentioned in other threads, we really seem to have gotten deep at RB. LD made a brief appearance and proceeded to show why he only has to make a brief appearance. Brandon Byrd looked good, but he needs to work on being a little more nifty and less of a battering ram. Jeremy Brown (#32) really got everyone's attention, especially after he took a pitch and started heading to his left, and then when his path was completely blocked, he planted his foot, did a complete 180, and took it around the other end for a first down. He had another great run of about 60 yards. But what was just as impressive was his yards up the middle. Mr. Brown is barely taller than Weston Squirer (#30, who also looked pretty impressive running up the middle) and probably weighs a little bit less.

Another mystery RB was #36, who had some pretty impressive runs up the middle. And like Brown, he wasn't all that big.

I didn't see James Hamilton out there. Has he changed his number?

• Upvote 1

I believe the mystery) you mention has the last name Wilhite. He was mentioned a couple of times during the Green Gang blog, but they didn't have any information on him.

They also reported Byrd with a number of dropped passes, so I would hope he improves there or he will get passed by someone else.

"Head coach Dan McCarney wasn’t ready to declare all the problems that have plagued

the Mean Green’s defense the last few years over.

What he and his players were willing to say is that they

took a step in the right direction."

Thats cause he is looking over tape trying to find the defense from years past.

With that said I am glad the D is getting some talking time early. April 16th I hope we are surprised by the D more than the RBs.

Good info/update for us out of towners that couldn't be there. Thank you

People are worried about the defense. And, people are worried about the offense.

When the freshmen arrive, there will be more depth along the defensive line. This sounds crazy. But, McCarney did have freshmen excel on the DL at both Iowa State and Florida. The guy knows what he's doing. I'm not saying the newcomers will be All-Americans. I'm just saying that we have guys in charge now who know what to do. Until we're 3-9 again, I'm trusting them. Love the athleticism at LB, by the way.

As to the QBs, either one will be green in more ways than one. I trust Canales to keep those guys within themselves and protect the ball. The turnovers this weekend were bad. But, there is a long way to go yet. Physically, I like the look of Thompson and Osborn.

But, let's be honest, as young as the offensive line is, this will be the year Lance Dunbar will really be the key. He'll have to create some things for himself to keep the passing game open. I think this will be his toughest year, so he needs to be mentally ready. Unless there is some sort of miracle development in Thompson or Osborn, the Mean Green offense will go as Dunbar goes.

Tight end. Snaps from under center. U-backs. All men together, pulling one rope.

Kick punt good. Kick punt good. Return return return. You see it, you believe it.

• Upvote 6