New Dirt On Pay-For-Play In College Football

And that the NCAA doesn't have the huevos to go after schools in the "Big 6" conferences that make them millions.

So, there is cheating in college sports, and the ncaa has turned a blind eye to it since it makes them tons and tons of money... No way. Everything from the apr to violations to who gets medical redshirts has always made me laugh.... now I will just laugh a little louder. I wonder if the ncaa gets tribute payments/hush money to ensure the big schools can continue their corrupt business/recruiting practices... you know, like the mob?

I wonder if Unt got a double secret portion of the report from that consultant on what all is needed to grease the wheels of the ncaa money machine... the public version of that report emphasized how much people need oxygen to survive.

Edited by SHOSS

Cheating will never go away as long as multiple schools are bidding for one high school stand out. Top talent goes to the top school. To pick a school based on TV coverage is a joke. I have seen plenty of highlights from teams all around the country both big and small. To pick a school based on tradition, well that is possible but the tradition of what happens off the field is a bigger grabber than playing for a coach with 4 national championships. Even a coach who has never won a game can get a standout in the NFL. Really top talent can play anywhere. Whose willing to pay for him?

Sad state of affairs when it degenerates to this sort of thing. Not surprising, not shocked, just sad on several counts. Certainly doesn't help to "level the playing field" and certainly casts a dubious eye toward the NCAA's enforcement arm when dealing with the "big boys vs the others". Mostly, it points to the greed and stupidity of young athletes who have been given way to many "passes" just because they can play a sport well and to the greed and stupidity of adults who are supposed to know better. Plenty of blame to go around, but if the NCAA was even the slightest bit interested in cleaning this all up, they could do so in a heartbeat with some "death penalty" or near-death penalty stuff fro the big boys. I certainly will not hold my breath.

I would hope any adult caught in this sort of operation could be prosecuted under some bribery statute or anything else that could be used...send a few of these idiots to jail and watch it slow down immediately. Anyone think this will happen anytime soon? Not me...too much money involved.

Just look at Dez Bryant. He's buying hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry ON CREDIT while still a student (laugh laugh "student") at Oklahoma State University and now is said to owe over $800,000! Jewelry no less...stupid is as stupid does. Dez is a very immature KID who lacks any sense of how stupid he looks. Adults, well adults are another matter. Dez needs to pay up and get a "keeper" or his career in pro ball will be over before it ever started. When Dion Sanders doesn't want much more to do with him, you know the kid must be in serious denial and need serious attention.

Amazingly sad stuff here folks.

Cheating will never go away, but it could be greatly curtailed by assessing major penalties on the athletes as well as the institutions involved. There may be a few coaches that are unaware of the situation like Wacker at TCU but in most cases they are aware of it and are involved or just look the other way. It is somewhat amazing that some of the teams with the most in resources are the biggest offenders in going over the line. It is a largely unspoken but cheating is another factor that gives the "big" programs a big illegal advantage over the "have nots".

I am not naive enough to believe that NT's programs have never been penalized because all the coaches that have served here and the Administration have been truly pure at heart. A bigger factor is that NT has not developed the number of rich and die hard fans that would be inclined to unethically sway players to NT. Most lower level programs are the same, but if they do transgress they seem to be much more likely to suffer major penalties than the "Big Boys" of college athletics.

The legal system is not suited to for the task of dealing with college athletics and currently there is more upside than not to cheat. A coach knows that if he does not consistently win he will lose his job and most are smart enough to keep the illegal stuff far away from them. The athletes know with only a minimum of care they can escape any consequences. The only real answer to control college athletics cheating is college administrations that will not allow it. Not likely to happen, when the head football coach is much more powerful and many cases compensated much better than the President of the university.

Edited by GrandGreen

Sad state of affairs when it degenerates to this sort of thing. Not surprising, not shocked, just sad on several counts. Certainly doesn't help to "level the playing field" and certainly casts a dubious eye toward the NCAA's enforcement arm when dealing with the "big boys vs the others". Mostly, it points to the greed and stupidity of young athletes who have been given way to many "passes" just because they can play a sport well and to the greed and stupidity of adults who are supposed to know better. Plenty of blame to go around, but if the NCAA was even the slightest bit interested in cleaning this all up, they could do so in a heartbeat with some "death penalty" or near-death penalty stuff fro the big boys. I certainly will not hold my breath.

I would hope any adult caught in this sort of operation could be prosecuted under some bribery statute or anything else that could be used...send a few of these idiots to jail and watch it slow down immediately. Anyone think this will happen anytime soon? Not me...too much money involved.

Just look at Dez Bryant. He's buying hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry ON CREDIT while still a student (laugh laugh "student") at Oklahoma State University and now is said to owe over $800,000! Jewelry no less...stupid is as stupid does. Dez is a very immature KID who lacks any sense of how stupid he looks. Adults, well adults are another matter. Dez needs to pay up and get a "keeper" or his career in pro ball will be over before it ever started. When Dion Sanders doesn't want much more to do with him, you know the kid must be in serious denial and need serious attention.

Amazingly sad stuff here folks.

I am sure none of the Oklahoma State coaches noticed that a kid who certainly couldn't afford it was wearing thousands in jewelry, just like the SMU coaches before the death penalty didn't notice they had the worst cars in the athletic parking lot. It seems to me if college athletics really wanted to clean up, the NCAA could root out a lot of the most blatant stuff with a minimum of effort. The problem is they are far from an impartial party.

I know that everyone is wondering if we do this stuff and the answer is a huge NO. Couldn't be farther from it actually. Somebody eluded to the fact earlier that we dont have enough wealthy alumni that are bought in to the program and that is pretty well put. In fact a running theme for our team in the early 2000s was about the "Low Budget". Coach Dickey even made us shirts that said I.S.H.P.B.I.H.S on the front and on the back "I should have played better in High School" as a joke about it. Say what you want about him, he cared about his players.

We recruited the old fashion way. After coaches offered visits you put them with a good player chaperone based on personality match on the team and go from there. Not just position matching but personality. You put the quiet kids with quiet players, party kids with party players, etc. It's certainly isn't scoring us big time D1 recruits but it was a hell of a lot of fun for the party players on recruit weekends! :thumbsu:

In fact a running theme for our team in the early 2000s was about the "Low Budget". Coach Dickey even made us shirts that said I.S.H.P.B.I.H.S on the front and on the back "I should have played better in High School" as a joke about it. Say what you want about him, he cared about his players.

I have a shirt for Dickey I.S.H.B.S.A.D.T.T.F.B.W.I.A.H.A.H.C.J. on the front and on the back "I Shouldn't Have Been Such A Dickey To The Fan Base While I Actually Had A Head Coaching Gig"

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I have a shirt for Dickey I.S.H.B.S.A.D.T.T.F.B.W.I.A.H.A.H.C.J. on the front and on the back "I Shouldn't Have Been Such A Dickey To The Fan Base While I Actually Had A Head Coaching Gig"

No kidding. What a joke...If he would have at least tried to build bridges with the alumni and fanbase, there is not a doubt in my mind that he would be our coach still to this day. Of course, he would lose his favorite excuse about this being the toughest job in America by moving into the new stadium. Its this mentality that cost him his job. The kids on the team might have liked it, but those of us on the "Them" side of the "Us vs Them" argument he used, never could buy into him fully. Hell, I remember seeing him after the NO Bowl win at a bar on Bourbon Street and shaking his hand and telling him congratulations, only to get back the blankest stare and no reply. Even the other fans around me thought this was extremely strange for a victorious coach of a bowl game. I never gave it much concern until he let Ramon Flanigan get away with accosting a fan in the stands at a home game, then after the MFer comment came to the public eye, I realized that he was just too much of a black eye for the university. Luckily, the administration saw it that way, too, even though they missed very badly on their next hire. We can all be happy that he brought us success for a few years and some great memories at the NO Bowl, but he brought what followed over the course of the next few years all upon himself.

• Upvote 2