Live From The Start Of Week Two

Brett Vito

What has he done to not deserve a chance to run with the first team? I think many of you are reading too much into all of this. Outside of Chico and Nelson, this is an entirely new staff, so I would feel comfortable in stating that they are going to use these spring practices to see what they have at each position. I would expect a lot of different combinations all over the field, and then for the "starters" to shake out as spring practice wraps up in another couple of weeks. Besides, Chancellor is running with the second team while Outlaw is running first team with Stradford and Carey.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

A lot should become clear to the coaching staff once the final whistle for Spring practice has been blown. Then the coaches will sit down and really understand what they have so they can plan for the upcoming season.

• Upvote 1

Rather than make ridiculous inferences as to the shape of the depth chart after 3 practices, we could just be kinda excited that we have a senior no one really expected to be available at a position for which we have relatively little depth.

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

What has Chancellor done to deserve being 1st team?

On offense? Nothing substantial.

If he isnt...will you take your lumps?

This man is asking you a question. Answer it.

Rather than make ridiculous inferences as to the shape of the depth chart after 3 practices, we could just be kinda excited that we have a senior no one really expected to be available at a position for which we have relatively little depth.

You must be new here. We can crap on anything.

Ten thousand spoons?

• Downvote 1

A player that walked after, at the most, three practices was going to walk regardless. Hate to sound heartless, but if he couldn't last the first week, then he wasn't going to make it anyway. Glad he is doing something else.

I didn't even know Outlaw was still with the team. I thought he was a senior last year. Anyone know if he got a RS last year?

Yes, Outlaw got a RS. After the Ohio game I lost any confidence in Outlaw to make big plays. I only have confidence in him to produce between the red zones.

As to Chancellor. After watching the young man in about three practices last fall, I was sure that he had the potential to be a big time prospect. FFR introduced me to his position coach (Hines) after one of the scrimmages, and I made a point of telling the coach that they are going to have a hard time keeping Chancellor off the field. I told him that it's been a long time since I've seen a freshman play with such confidence. At that time I didn't think he had the kind of speed to take a KO all the way, but I knew that A. he wouldn't ever muff a KO or PR, and B. he would be good for at least 15/20 yrds per return. So, by the end of the year, this young man far exceeded even my expectations. He could be our version of Wes Welker.....or even better, Casey Fitzgerald.

We just need to put him in the slot, and find creative ways to get the ball to him.

A player that walked after, at the most, three practices was going to walk regardless. Hate to sound heartless, but if he couldn't last the first week, then he wasn't going to make it anyway. Glad he is doing something else.

This player was a walkon last year and did not receive playing time....same situation as what this year would be (he was told). Honestly I believe it to be a size issue. The good thing that came out of the conversation was a talk between last year's training vs. this year's. He stated that last year the training was setup to run once a week and really gear towards "short bursts of power" whereas Wintrich has been running them day in day out and building up their ability to endure vs their ability to lift weights. He also indicated that it was a lack of endurance that caused players to wear out quickly last year and become more prone to injury. I assumed that he was talking about not being able to place your feet in time to take a hit due to fatigue. Anyway...thought I should share.

This player was a walkon last year and did not receive playing time....same situation as what this year would be (he was told). Honestly I believe it to be a size issue. The good thing that came out of the conversation was a talk between last year's training vs. this year's. He stated that last year the training was setup to run once a week and really gear towards "short bursts of power" whereas Wintrich has been running them day in day out and building up their ability to endure vs their ability to lift weights. He also indicated that it was a lack of endurance that caused players to wear out quickly last year and become more prone to injury. I assumed that he was talking about not being able to place your feet in time to take a hit due to fatigue. Anyway...thought I should share.

Dickey always favored endurance. Which is one reason why he often had 3+ hour practices/scrimmages in the fall. It seemed to work vs the Sunbelt opponents. I don't know if it would have worked against our OCC opponents during that era as Dickey didn't really try to win any of those games.

I didn't get a chance is quitter/loser talk. If they didn't give him one, he didn't give them a reason to. You can't afford to keep your best athletes off the field at this level. If you want reps you have to show why you deserve them with effort and execution.

• Upvote 3