Cfn.com Is Optimistic

UNTLifer

CFN.com

Why To Get Excited … Injuries. The one plus side to all the injuries the 2010 team suffered is that it threw a ton of unproven players to the wolves and got them enough experience to count on going into this year. 16 starters are back from the team that finished up the end of last season battling with Kansas State and Troy, and that doesn’t include the 12 starters lost to injury with most of them coming back. The team is not only getting plenty of experience back for Dan McCarney to work with, but it’s loaded with ready depth.

I'd love to drink the Kool-Aid, but the "Why to Get Excited" leaves out an important fact. We may be getting a number of starters back, but we are not getting them back where it is most crucial--the O-line, D-tackles, quarterback, mlb (although I like our guy stepping in there), and Craig Robertson.

Well, I will argue that JJohnson, Fortenberry, Leppo and Tomlinson all received a lot of playing time last year at OL, and with Feeley as a previous starter, OL should be fine once they jell. Plus, we have talent in Adedeipe, Johnson, Bean and Y'Barbo behind them.

Orr played a lot at MLB and should anchor that position for the next three years, so our only real worries should be replacing Robertson and, our biggest worry, finding servicable DT's. With McCarney's strength being the D-Line, I refuse to worry until the Fall.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, I will argue that JJohnson, Fortenberry, Leppo and Tomlinson all received a lot of playing time last year at OL, and with Feeley and previous starter, OL should be fine once they jell. Plus, we have talent in Adedeipe, Johnson, Bean and Y'Barbo behind them.

Orr played a lot at MLB and should anchor that position for the next three years, so our only real worries should be replacing Robertson and, our biggest worry, finding servicable DT's. With McCarney's strength being the D-Line, I refuse to worry until the Fall.

I tend to agree with this perspective more.

Leppo got hurt in the Army game, so I would hardly say he got a lot of playing time. As for Adedeipe, the only time I have seen him was against Troy. Based on the results there, I have serious concerns. I hope he uses the spring and develops. For the rest (Johnson, Bean and Y'Barbo), have they seen the field yet in a game? If not, then I would tap the brakes on saying they have talent we can rely upon.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, I will argue that JJohnson . . . Leppo . . . all received a lot of playing time last year at OL . . .

How would you make that argument? I would classify JJ as a returning starter, but a lot of playing time? I think J.J. only played one game before he went down for the season, and Leppo the next two before he was out for the season.

JJohnson started the majority of the 2009 season, so I would consider him a returning starter last year, so that is how I would make that arguement. Leppo played well in the remainder of the Clemson game and the Rice game prior to getting injured against Army, so I am comfortable with his experience and level of performance. Feeley was a starter for most of the 2009 season also. I guess I should have excluded the term "last year" for Johnson.

I swear, I think some of you would look for a turd in a bucket of gold.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

JJohnson started the majority of the 2009 season, so I would consider him a returning starter last year, so that is how I would make that arguement. Leppo played well in the remainder of the Clemson game and the Rice game prior to getting injured against Army, so I am comfortable with his experience and level of performance. Feeley was a starter for most of the 2009 season also. I guess I should have excluded the term "last year" for Johnson.

I swear, I think some of you would look for a turd in a bucket of gold.

Your argument was not that he was a returning starter--I agreed with that--but that he "received a lot of playing time last year at OL." He didn't, plain and simple.

We are returning some good experience on the OL, but we also lost some anchors--Gill, Drake, and Santiago will be missed.

I'm not saying it's panic time for next season, not at all. I think a .500 season is a realistic goal, and 7-5 within the realm of possibility. But let's use facts for encouragement, not made-up stuff. That's all I'm saying.

• Downvote 2

You got me on a technicality. Yes, he is a returning starter that also started the majority of 2009, so no, he did not have a lot of playing time last year but he has in his career.

I will agree that we lost some anchors, but we also have some coming back, so I am not as concerned as some ogf you all.

• Upvote 1

Experience is our biggest factor at DT. We still have Cantly (336), Abbe (350) and White (300+) here, so size isn't an issue. If they can tie up a couple of OL's to keep the pressure off of the LB's, I'd be happy, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Leppo got hurt in the Army game, so I would hardly say he got a lot of playing time. As for Adedeipe, the only time I have seen him was against Troy. Based on the results there, I have serious concerns. I hope he uses the spring and develops. For the rest (Johnson, Bean and Y'Barbo), have they seen the field yet in a game? If not, then I would tap the brakes on saying they have talent we can rely upon.

I am hoping one factor that will improve some of our inexperienced Offensive Lineman is Coach Mike Simmonds. His prior NFL playing days and college coaching background are at a considerably higher level than last year's O Line Coach.