Greek Students Visit Stadium

All About UNT

(heavy sigh) Okay, stay with me on this because I think that it's real important.

First of all, I think that Coach McCarney did a great job of meeting and motivating the Greeks that showed up for this event. It's about damn time we had a coach that was able and willing to do this. However, the athletic department really missed a great opportunity here. And the opportunity I am talking about was to start the process of getting these organizations operating as ONE VOICE at game day with a UNIFIED NORTH TEXAS CHANT.

Right after Coach McCarney finished his speech and said "GO MEAN GREEN" a member (or members) of the Cheer Squad should have jumped out in front of the Greek crowd and said "Ok guys! we're now going to do the North Texas cheer that everyone will be doing this fall!" They should have then DEMONSTRATED the cheer once, or twice, (along with the hand signal that tells everyone that the cheer is about to start) and then gotten the crowd involved in demonstrating the cheer. This sort of spontaneous demonstration/cheer is second nature to just about any other D-1 school in America....as well as most lower level schools.....as well as most Texas High Schools. But not us, and that is one of the most telling things about North Texas, and it's image of apathy and indifference.

For instance, if this had been a video of the new Head Coach at the U. of Memphis meeting the representatives of their Greek organizations, what would have happened at the end? The cheer staff would have been there, and they would have jumped out and led the Greeks in their "T.I.G.E.R.S" chant/yell. And everyone watching the video would have known that, even though this was a gathering of Greeks (or insert name of any other campus organizations/clubs here) they were MEMPHIS TIGERS FIRST!

Coach McCarney said that the student section would be right behind the visitor's bench and there should be 7800 students in that section. A student section that is connected by a common cheer/chant would be much more effective than a group of unconnected rabble that just happened to be students of the same University...and just happened to show up in the same section.

This was a very good video, and a great opportunity for Coach McCarney to sell himself, and North Texas football to the students. But because there was no NORTH TEXAS SPIRIT COMPONENT at the end, the video just......ended. When it should have gone out with a BIG BANG!

Some other thoughts.

With his green tie on, Coach McCarney really looked great.....and very professional.

Looking over the crowd of Greeks, I noticed the same thing that I notice at any other gathering of North Texas alumni/fans. And that is YOU CERTAINLY CAN'T TELL THAT THEY ARE NORTH TEXAS FANS BY WHAT THEY ARE WEARING. Again, I've noticed this on game day, AND when there is a gathering of long time North Texas faithful...including big monied contributers at the kick-off BBQ. And I've noticed that for years.

Just recently I've stood on the "deck" at the athletic center and looked out over the kick-off crowd and said to myself "damn, if it weren't for the green/white tents that everyone is gathered under, you wouldn't know that this is a North Texas athletic event".

I've finally identified who Coach McCarney reminds me of when he's giving a motivational speech......Hulk Hogan.

Edited by SilverEagle

We don't have Coach Mac lined up to speak at this event, but we will be having him speak at an event in Plano sometime before summer. The date hasn't been formalized. Next week well have Kendra Talkin from the Mean Green Club, Rob McKinney from the UNT Alumni Association, and our very own Evan will be there to talk about gomeangreen.com. I'm hoping we can get a big turn out to show folks that there is UNT support outside of Denton County.

I'm planning on attending as well...support from the Denton Chapter and the Alumni Board. Now, I just have to find the place. Ha!

I'm planning on attending as well...support from the Denton Chapter and the Alumni Board. Now, I just have to find the place. Ha!

That's great! Dodie's Place is located in The Villages of Allen (Stacy Rd. & US 75) right by the Allen Event Center. Just head South on US 75 from 121 and Stacy Road is your first exit.