Greek Students Visit Stadium

All About UNT

I really wish they would start posting these updates to their Youtube channel again. It's great that the videos are on the MGS website, but more and more people want to watch this kind of stuff on iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, etc that can't use the Silverlight plugin.

I'm having trouble just getting it to play in Chrome or Firefox on my work PC. Just installed IE9 to try and get it to work.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

I would have loved to have gone to the Mean Green Club meeting that was held a couple days ago. However, traffic from where I live is unbearable on a weekday. I'd love to see a similar event be held somewhere in north Dallas. I think with enough advertising, it could be well attended.

I would have loved to have gone to the Mean Green Club meeting that was held a couple days ago. However, traffic from where I live is unbearable on a weekday. I'd love to see a similar event be held somewhere in north Dallas. I think with enough advertising, it could be well attended.

We have an event one week from tomorrow in Collin County (Allen). Would that be a better drive for you?

How about us season ticket holders who actually watch the game and don't spend the entire day getting drunk and acting retarded in the parking lot

Did you watch the video??? The purpose of him bringing them out there was to get them engaged, out of the parking lot, to feel like this is their team and not a reason to tailgate and never go inside. We get tons of meetings with the coach and staff....plenty of opportunities for you to get your kudos. He is trying to engage a group that previously could have cared less about going inside. It was a very solid move on the Department's behalf.

I really wish they would start posting these updates to their Youtube channel again. It's great that the videos are on the MGS website, but more and more people want to watch this kind of stuff on iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, etc that can't use the Silverlight plugin.

I'm having trouble just getting it to play in Chrome or Firefox on my work PC. Just installed IE9 to try and get it to work.

Yes...yes...and yes. There is no reason why they should not be uploading every single video onto Youtube and actually placing tags on it so that people can find it.

I already RSVP for the event. Will Coach M be there?

We don't have Coach Mac lined up to speak at this event, but we will be having him speak at an event in Plano sometime before summer. The date hasn't been formalized. Next week well have Kendra Talkin from the Mean Green Club, Rob McKinney from the UNT Alumni Association, and our very own Evan will be there to talk about gomeangreen.com. I'm hoping we can get a big turn out to show folks that there is UNT support outside of Denton County.

Drunk or not, they're still out there regardless. Better than 85% of the student body.

How about us season ticket holders who actually watch the game and don't spend the entire day getting drunk and acting retarded in the parking lot

• Upvote 6

Really? Of all the organizations on campus Greek life supports athletics the most.

And at least we tailgate, which I can't say for most alumni who show up 30 min before the game starts. It's pretty sad when the alumni parking lot (whatever color it is) sits half empty every Saturday. I know most people on this board tailgate, but overall the alumni turnout is disappointing.

I know a lot of students who tailgate for hours and hours only to go home once the game starts and it pisses me off. Coach Mac is smart enough to know that Greek life and football feed off each other and this event was supposed to make Greek life feel like they are apart of this new era of mean green football, which will make more students turnout for games which will hopefully lead to more wins.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Drunk or not, they're still out there regardless. Better than 85% of the student body.

I understand that and I commend the coaches and athletic department for reaching out. I would just like to see them reach out to all clubs, greek or not. I have no problem with greeks becoming more active. The biggest problem I have is with the fraternities. Kappa Sigs, Lambda Chis, Sigma Nus and more have recently made our greek system (mainly frats) look like womanizing drunks. Why should they be rewarded? At least that is how it was when I was in school, which was not long ago. Of course, this is my own perspective.

Anyways...

GO MEAN GREEN and good luck this season!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

I understand that and I commend the coaches and athletic department for reaching out. I would just like to see them reach out to all clubs, greek or not. I have no problem with greeks becoming more active. The biggest problem I have is with the fraternities. Kappa Sigs, Lambda Chis, Sigma Nus and more have recently made our greek system (mainly frats) look like womanizing drunks. Why should they be rewarded? At least that is how it was when I was in school, which was not long ago. Of course, this is my own perspective.

Anyways...

GO MEAN GREEN and good luck this season!

Reaching out to everyone he can is a huge priority for DMac and we can expect much more of this in the future. Welcome to the board Green Guy!

Did you watch the video??? The purpose of him bringing them out there was to get them engaged, out of the parking lot, to feel like this is their team and not a reason to tailgate and never go inside. We get tons of meetings with the coach and staff....plenty of opportunities for you to get your kudos. He is trying to engage a group that previously could have cared less about going inside. It was a very solid move on the Department's behalf.

We usually have a good student turnout for the 1st, and even 2nd, home game of the year. The problem has been performance. Win, and they will keep coming back, and in bigger numbers.

The Houston game concerns me. What I don't want to see is a huge crowd and a blowout loss. The students will think "Same old crap" and that side will dwindle away. We don't have to win, but we DESPERATELY need a competitive game against Houston.

You know, the stereotype you portray above, just doesn't fit. A lot of students and alumni act in the manner you note above, not just those involved in Fraternities or Sororities, it is just that they are visible since they are either wearing their fraternity letters or tailgating under their organizations flag. I am an alumni, member of Sigma Chi and a season ticket holder. Most of the other members of my fraternity that graduated with or after me still support the program as season ticket holders, as do many members of the other Greek organizations. I'm sorry if you have had a bad experience with some that you have come in contact with, but the majority are not this way. Most were involved as students and have remained involved as alumni and are some of the nicest people you could want to know.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Really? Of all the organizations on campus Greek life supports athletics the most.

And at least we tailgate, which I can't say for most alumni who show up 30 min before the game starts. It's pretty sad when the alumni parking lot (whatever color it is) sits half empty every Saturday. I know most people on this board tailgate, but overall the alumni turnout is disappointing.

I know a lot of students who tailgate for hours and hours only to go home once the game starts and it pisses me off. Coach Mac is smart enough to know that Greek life and football feed off each other and this event was supposed to make Greek life feel like they are apart of this new era of mean green football, which will make more students turnout for games which will hopefully lead to more wins.

Tailgating is not the part of the event that we care about people attending. Would it be great to have a lot of people at the stadium hours before the game? Yes, but let's not criticize paying fans that come for the game only. Alumni usually have to drive farther and have other considerations when deciding how to spend a Saturday afternoon.

• Upvote 2

How can this be viewed as anything but an awesome step in the right direction?

We need more participation/attendance/real gameday atmosphere. The tailgating is good(which I really really enjoy btw)...BUT, the most important thing is to have a real game atmosphere IN THE FREAKING STADJUM!

Now, as for how Dan "The Man" is approaching things?... The greeks are an EXCELLENT place to start.

I did the greek thing. I made some friends in that whole experience. Some of my fellow Delta sig's still tailgate every home game and ...gasp...go into the games. The greeks are a good place to start because most of my greek friends were more sports/competitive oriented... that doesn't mean it is always the case, but that was my experience. So, Dan is starting with what I perceive as being the most eager group to get on board.

If this is simply the first organization on campus to be engaged, then this is an excellent plan. Before I joined the Delta Sig's and the reason I came to UNT to begin with, I started as a music major... Now this would be the most difficult group on campus to get engaged.

Everyone just relax and realize that we are trying to build a real program and atmosphere in our brand spankin new stadjum. Everybody needs to realize that no matter what organization you affiliate yourself with... we are all on the same team. We are all mean greeners... We have suffered or are just apathetic, and for us to pull through this and be thought of from the outside as having a legit d-1 football program EVERYONE MUST PARTICIPATE. The greeks were just the first to be engaged.

I got to experience the Nebraska/aTm game in College Station this last year, and I've got to tell you... The student section there just makes me want more for us. I know we can probably never match their attendance.... But if we can even just fill the student section and get HALF of their intensity, 30 to 35k can be a really fun, loud, and inspiring home field advantage. ALL STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE VISITED.... I THINK that is what Dan is going to try and do. STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MYH FRIENDS... Now, lets all try and recruit an apathetic unt alum back to be an engaged, participating alum. go mean green

• Upvote 1

You must be new here. We can crap on anything.

Sometimes I do think this board should be renamed MonkeysFlingingPoo.com. Even if we are losing 2 or 3 games a year, I'm sure not everybody will be positive...

I don't know alot of you, so I don't post as much as I would like...except in the recruiting forum.

gmg