Spring Primer With Coach Mac

"A: On defense we have to get much, much more physical, work on our fundamentals, and get better tackling. I think we have made great strides in our attitude and expectations, but what I need from those guys is for them to give me all they have for 4-6 seconds every play. I don't need 60 seconds worth of effort, it's not like that, I need them to give me there best for just that length of time. If we can get better in our tackling, I told Coach Bowen that if we are able to do just that, you will see the results."

That excites me a little and it should be interesting to see how they go about this. Please tell me they line them up for Oklahoma or Cover Drill (1v1 or 3v3) at the end of every practice again. Noone ever got hurt(not even the kicker trio of Bazaldua, Kadulabar and Hopovac) and it will make you more physical. Trust me......

Nice...very nice, but that "Beaches" thing...I'm not so sure. Like the idea of romantic movies with the wife, however...in a job like Coach Mac has I would imagine that you would be gone so much that you have to grab whatever chance you have to enjoy some private time together.

Addendum: At the Mean Green happy Hour I asked Coach mac about Beaches. He said "how do you know about that"???? Funny...and then he went on to explain the deal...very good comment about he and his wife and how they enjoy these things together. I later talked with Coach Canales and he confirmed that he and his wife also enjoy special times together like Coach McCarney does. These guys work long and hard hours and they know their wives and kids are special. Really great time last evening spent with several of the coaches and RV. Good stuff! The entire staff seems to be a very close knit group!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Makes me think of a gal I knew . . . her parents were Mexican born and bred. She and another girl were sitting on the couch watching a movie. Her dad walks in and asks, "What movie you watchin'?" The girls say, "Beaches." Eventually he sits down and watches the last of the movie with them. At the end, he turns to the girls and asks, "So which of them is the beetches?"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

The "chick-flick-Beaches-thing" could be an attempt to get the (publicity) jump on anyone (especially female students/faculty) who might want to publicly re-visit his turbulent relationship (past and present(?)) with his ex-wife.

Pretty smart on his part.....or whoever thought of it. After all, this whole Q&A was orchestrated by athletic staff.

Edited by SilverEagle

The "chick-flick-Beaches-thing" could be an attempt to get the (publicity) jump on anyone (especially female students/faculty) who might want to publicly re-visit his turbulent relationship (past and present(?)) with his ex-wife.

Pretty smart on his part.....or whoever thought of it. After all, this whole Q&A was orchestrated by athletic staff.

Silver...see the addendum to my post above regarding the Beaches comment. I have no doubt whatsoever that the comment was real and from the heart by Coach McCarney. You could tell by the way he sincerely answered my question about it at last evenings Mean Green Club Happy Hour. I also talked about it a bit more with him in person...no doubt the guy enjoys those movies and quiet times with his wife.

• Upvote 1

Silver...see the addendum to my post above regarding the Beaches comment. I have no doubt whatsoever that the comment was real and from the heart by Coach McCarney. You could tell by the way he sincerely answered my question about it at last evenings Mean Green Club Happy Hour. I also talked about it a bit more with him in person...no doubt the guy enjoys those movies and quiet times with his wife.

...as opposed to the not-so-quiet times with his ex-wife........ :rolleyes:

Look Mark, I'm not being critical of Coach McCarney, I'm just presenting a realistic speculation as to the "Beaches" thing in the interview. I don't need to admire him as a husband, just as a coach. And if the athletic department can head off any unnecessary distractions by presenting him as a guy who is sensitive and devoted to his wife, then fine with me. Just don't expect me to swallow it whole like some gullible, fawning, fan.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5