Traditions, History And Accomplishments.

I'm opposed to the retiring of anymore jerseys. I expect to get great HOF quality athletes for decades to come. Recognize these athletes and reord their player numbers if you wish, but stop the notion of reducing the numbers available to incoming players. This could be the differene in a recruit coming to North Texas or not.

Is there a cord or stole to recognize athletes at graduation ?

Edited by greenjoe

I'm opposed to the retiring of anymore jerseys. I expect to get great HOF quality athletes for decades to come. Recognize these athletes and reord their player numbers if you wish, but stop the notion of reducing the numbers available to incoming players. This could be the differene in a recruit coming to North Texas or not.

Is there a cord or stole to recognize athletes at graduation ?

I agree with this. I have never believed in retiring numbers. What I suggested a few years ago is that certain honored numbered jerseys be given to players to wear in recognition of their outstanding/superior play at their particular position, as it corresponds to the position of the honored jersey. For example, #75 given to the outstanding D-lineman on the team...etc

We do have a history before this regime and all before it. If you are a true fan of the Mean Green, athletic directors and head coaches will come and go but you are the constant that will still be here. I can go even further back to the MVC and seeing John Savage matched against Oscar Robertson in the old pit. North Texas Basketball in the MVC made the SWC a joke. We beat A$M by 20 points at home when I was a student. The local privates wanted no part of the NT FB teams of the mid to late 60's . The University of Arkansas stole a game in Fayetteville from the Mean Green in 1967 on a called trap of a Steve Ramsey to Ron Shanklin pass. Later Chuck Dicus, the DB for Arkansas admitted it was a clean catch and the refs were protecting the SWC from what would be viewed by the "great unwashed" as a terrific upset. In those teams of the 60's not only Joe Greene, but Cedric Hardeman, Willie Parker, Steve Ramsey, Ron Shanklin, Chuck Beatty, and others would distinguish themselves for years in the NFL, many more than the local privates sent at that time. Even Dandy Don Meredith admitted on MNF that "he was sure glad when he was at SMU that they never had to play North Texas State". This statement was made while he viewed Joe Greene, Ron Shanklin, and Chuck Beatty all playing in the starting line up of the Pittsburg Steelers. We have always had an inferiority complex at NT. This must change now. Denton must change now---all its previous excuses for non-support are lame. Growth is coming up I-35 E and W at a staggering pace and Denton is drawn into the metroplex like it or not. Get with the program "little d" you have had a gold mine of a university in your back yard for decades--Act like you appreciate now and ongoing. :growl:

--Very good post...So many of the younger alums don't realize just how good North Texas has been in the past. In the late 60's we were producing far more pro-athletes than the SWC schools were .. I maybe wrong a bit but I think one of the football teams contained NINE future NFL players including Joe Green.. In basketball the MVC was the best conference... not the ACC [which was still all-white] At Christmas my senior year 5 of the top-ten were in the same conference as North Texas... the Missouri Valley. UCLA was the best team of that era but wasn't in a powerful conference.... the MVC was the best one..

---I have no answer but our alums and students need to have more pride in our university, its accomplishments (not just sports), and its history and traditions.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 3